American Duchess: Welcome to Pittsburgh

shipgeeks

We are looking forward to seeing American Duchess in Pittsburgh on Sunday, June 13; our first riverboat visit this summer.

To those sailing right now, we wish you a good week.  We are not entirely certain we'll be up early enough to see you arrive, lol.

But for the sailing on June 13, we expect to be at the Emsworth Locks and Dam, your first locks of the trip, to see you lock through (Panama Canal in miniature).  

Happy sailing to all!

Is there any web cam or anything there?? We were supposed to be on that sailing, but had to postpone due to my sister’s cancer diagnosis. I will be staying with her through surgery, and we will do the same cruise next year (but on the Countess). 

I’d love to see her out on the river!!

That's a good thought; unfortunately, I can't find anything.  My search for Pittsburgh didn't lead to any river views.  The locks and dams are run by the US Army Corps of Engineers, so there is probably a security issue involved.  The viewing platform at Emsworth has been closed since 9/11.

Too bad.  We've been spoiled by the webcams at Miami, Port Everglades, etc.

Down at Fort Madison, IA (just south of Burlington) there is a Virtual Railfan camera.

Although it is train oriented, they do also show river traffic and the swing bridge that crosses the Mississippi.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

wandb, Do you recall what time she is scheduled to depart Pittsburgh?

I don’t remember the exact time of sailing, but it seems that the Pittsburgh City tour runs from about Noon to 4:00. 
So I would imagine around 5:00-5:30???

Just a guess!!

Also, thanks “stowite” for the link to another web cam!!

• Like 1

Now I'm a bit uncertain!  I know there is a hotel stay just before the river cruise.  Does the cruise itself begin on Sunday, June 13, or on Monday, June 14??

Curious minds - and my neighbors - want to know!

I believe the cruise actually starts on June 14th.  American Queen's 9 day cruises are analogous to an ocean cruise line's 7 night cruise.  It's just that the first day is a hotel stay and the last day is when you get off the boat.  In reality a 9 day cruise is really a 7 night cruise.  

• Like 1