NCL's Continued Commitment to Guest and Crew Safety

As we've all heard by now, RCL has made the decision to recommend guests be vaccinated but will not require it. This is, in my opinion the wrong decision that could be disastrous for the entire industry should another onboard outbreak occur.

I'm pleased that NCL has decided on 100% vaccinations for guests and crew. Let's just hope they don't bow to political pressure and change their minds. I've sent an email to the Vice President of NCL guest services (vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com) and Harry Sommer, President & Chief Executive Officer (hsommer@ncl.com)

I would suggest you also make your voices heard if you agree on the 100% vaccination requirement as the only way to return to safe cruising.

Here's my letter, feel free to tweak it and/or use it.  

Dear Mr. Sommer,

I’m writing to you today in regards to the recent disturbing news that Royal Caribbean cruises will not be requiring vaccines for guests on cruises departing the United States.

My wife and I have been loyal NCL cruisers for over a decade with 14 cruises under our belts. We’ve always had fantastic NCL vacations filled with laughter and memories. Your wonderful staff have always made us feel like family and have consistently gone the extra mile to make our time onboard extra special. 

We were very pleased when we read that NCL will require 100% vaccinations for all guests and crew onboard. In our opinion, this is the only safe way to resume cruising and significantly minimize the risk of on onboard outbreak.

We are so confident in your Covid-19 safety protocols that we booked a 7 day cruise to Bermuda from New York onboard the NCL Breakaway for this October. 

We implore you to stand firm in your requirement to have all guests and crew 100% vaccinated. As I’m sure you are aware, another Covid-19 outbreak on any cruise ship could spell disaster for the entire industry.

Further, not requiring 100% vaccinations would alienate your already loyal customer base. In fact, a recent poll on cruisecritic.com indicated that nearly 70% of Royal Caribbean customers would cancel their upcoming cruises now that vaccines are not required but merely recommended.

We ask that you please remain committed to the safety of your guests and crew by requiring 100% vaccinations. It is the only safe way forward until the pandemic is officially declared over.

Thank you.

My name

Latitude #***********

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever
spelling
  • Like 18

Excellent and timely letter considering the confusion within the industry and the world.  A few small steps at the beginning of cruise openings will help insure that the industry will survive.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Thank You great letter.  Will be curious if you can a response.

Here's the response I got (after 5 or so minutes):

Bonnie

I really appreciate this email.  

First off, let me thank you for your continued loyalty over all these years and we are thrilled that you have entrusted us with your vacations over such a long period of time.  We also look forward to welcoming you back on board Gem soon!

Regarding your comments on vaccinations, we share your strong belief that the best way to get started is with every single person on board (guests and crew) fully vaccinated.   This is the best way to ensure a safe and enjoyable vacation for all of our guests.  I have repeatedly said that I wouldn’t send a guest on a cruise that I wouldn’t be prepared to take my family on – and I will be bringing my wife on two of our upcoming cruises in July and August and my adult children on the August cruise as well – all 100% fully vaccinated.

Thank you again for writing in.  You have my commitment to stay the course on this.

Best regards

Harry

• Like 9

Policy or alternate policy or no policy, people will vote with dollars (currency of any country accepted).  Letter-writing campaigns may or may not be “heard”.  If you agree with their business practices, reward them with your business.

• Like 2

I just sent a similar letter.  In my experience, the best way to let a company know how you feel about an issue is to TELL THEM (& then follow up by voting with your wallet as needed.)  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

NCL isn't going to be fined anything.

Correction -

Florida can "fine" them all they want, but good luck enforcing and making them pay ;). 

Reminds me of Designated Survivor when the national guard is deployed to stop the president from entering a state. 

I don't think it will come to that. A week or so ago, the FL governor's office hinted that foreign-flagged cruise ships would be considered in "international waters" for the purposes of demanding proof of vaccination and would thus not fall under the FL law banning such proof. There will be a carve-out for the cruise lines, that's my view, anyway. (The fact that the governor's office subsequently denied that cruise lines would be exempted is, in my opinion, a classic case of someone telling the truth when he/she wasn't supposed to). This whole issue is a massive nothingburger.

• Like 2

Here’s the response I received. Color me impressed:

I really appreciate this email.   

First off, let me thank you for your continued loyalty over all these years and we are thrilled that you have entrusted us with your vacations over such a long period of time.  We also look forward to welcoming you back on the Breakaway, Gem and the brand new Prima.   We will do our best to make sure you continue to have amazing vacations and memories aboard our fleet.  It seems like you visit our ships even more than me 😊

Regarding your comments on vaccinations, we share your strong belief that the best way to get started is with every single person on board (guests and crew) fully vaccinated.   This is the best way to ensure a safe and enjoyable vacation for all of our guests.  I have repeatedly said that I wouldn’t send a guest on a cruise that I wouldn’t be prepared to take my family on – and I will be bringing my wife on two of our upcoming cruises in July and August and my adult children on the August cruise as well – all 100% fully vaccinated.

Thank you again for writing in.  You have my commitment to stay the course on this.

Best regards

Harry

• Like 5

I got a much more generic "thank you for your comments, I love hearing from guests but don't have time to respond to everyone individually" form letter.  Maybe we're overwhelming the office staff?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just sent my version:

Dear Mr. Sommer,

I am so excited to embark on my first-ever Norwegian cruise this October.

NCL's requirement of 100% vaccination for all guests and crew was a major factor in my decision to cruise with Norwegian. Recent flip-flopping by Royal Caribbean concerns me and I'm thankful that Norwegian is standing firm on their policy.

I am also an NCL stockholder because I believe in "our" company's future.

Thank you, and see you in Athens!

Regards,
my name
Latitudes number 000000000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CI66774 said:

This is fine as long as NCL doesn’t plan on cruising out of Florida anytime soon.If they violate the law, they’re gonna be fined millions of dollars for each violating cruise.

Hopefully they will avoid Florida until there is a focus on keeping people safe there.

Don't kid yourself.  NCL went with the 100% vaccination mandate to placate the CDC.  In the hopes they could start sailing sooner rather than later.  Especially now, NCL is in dire financial straights.  This is all about revenue, not safety.  

Yes it sounds good.  The PR writes itself but NCL is a business and their top priority is making money and avoiding bankruptcy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Old & Retired said:

NCL went with the 100% vaccination mandate to placate the CDC.

Not entirely. The CDC has no jurisdiction on cruises in Europe.

Those of us who'd prefer to be on a normal, unmasked cruise will be onboard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

Not entirely. The CDC has no jurisdiction on cruises in Europe.

Those of us who'd prefer to be on a normal, unmasked cruise will be onboard.

Absolutely right!  Some people just don't understand that the 100% requirement is an attraction to a broad base of cruise customers.  Having the CDC's support just might make it "easier" here in the US.  I'm 100% behind NCL and the CDC on this one, and looking forward to my maskless October cruise.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

I'm also looking forward to discussing actual cruising instead of cruising protocols.

Absolutely.  Some of us have been doing that, but the signal to noise ratio still isn't what we would like to have.  Some just want to rain on our parade.  You would think that their presence here on a cruise forum would suggest that they are interested in cruising.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I don't think it will come to that. A week or so ago, the FL governor's office hinted that foreign-flagged cruise ships would be considered in "international waters" for the purposes of demanding proof of vaccination and would thus not fall under the FL law banning such proof. There will be a carve-out for the cruise lines, that's my view, anyway. (The fact that the governor's office subsequently denied that cruise lines would be exempted is, in my opinion, a classic case of someone telling the truth when he/she wasn't supposed to). This whole issue is a massive nothingburger.

That was fake news. 

• Like 1