Royal Caribbean Says Unvaccinated Guests Will Face Restrictions, Higher Costs

On 6/9/2021 at 5:02 PM, LoriLoriLori said:

Edit:  Just read that cruises in Texas can require vaccinations since operating under Federal CDC guidelines.  

But...... Federal CDC guidelines do not mandate passengers be vaccinated to cruise. Those vaccine mandates are coming from the cruise lines. No???

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Moltar said:

That means nothing. Ships leave from at least 5 other ports in the USA as well as dozens upon dozens around the world. It's the Caribbean Cruise Capital, that's it.

Let me correct my statement. From Google..............

"Port of Miami
Set on Biscayne Bay, Port of Miami is known as the "Cruise Capital of the World," and accommodates the largest ships on the planet by cruise lines such as Disney, Carnival, Azamara, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean."
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, jaredhamburg said:

The problem with this is how to justify only testing unvaccinated people as the vaccine is not proven to prevent a vaccinated person from spreading it as well.  Even the CDC says that the vaccines are not yet proven to prevent the spread (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html?s_cid=10493:covid vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21).  So, for safety, everyone should be tested before boarding.

Your link is not up to date regarding risk of vaccinated people and transmission of the virus. This is more up to date guidelines from the CDC from May 28th. Read the section "Recommendations for indoor and outdoor settings" HERE.

Yep just like I said the Caribbean cruise capital of the world. You’re not seeing the Baltic Sea leaving on a ship from Miami I promise you nor are you docking in Singapore. You could call it the cruise capital of the world all you want but that doesn’t change the fact that cruise ships sail  freaking everywhere around the world . To act like Florida is the end-all be-all is quite ridiculous in my opinion.

Edited by Moltar

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

this has always been true for me for Carnival. There are 3 of us, with a 10 yo kid. Every time I looked up a Carnival cruise in the last 3-4 years, it was something like this:

1st person $679, 2nd person $679, 3rd person $1,079. I even asked on the Carnival subforum why Carnival hates people traveling with their children.

So, I just booked MSC and Princess for 2022, and the 3rd person rate was a lot less than the first two.

I've noticed some funky pricing on Carnival once in a while as well. Like the 3rd person is way more than the 4th person when they usually tend to be the same. But overall, my experience has been that Carnival's 3rd and 4th rate is usually better than on Royal, Disney, and other family friendly cruise lines. 

I've also booked MSC a few times in big part because we've scored free 3rd/4th guest rates which makes the total cost of the cruise considerably cheaper than pretty much everybody else. We've also been successful finding free 3rd/4th guest rates on Holland America (and even though it's a cruise line for "old" people, the kids loved it!)

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

this has always been true for me for Carnival. There are 3 of us, with a 10 yo kid. Every time I looked up a Carnival cruise in the last 3-4 years, it was something like this:

1st person $679, 2nd person $679, 3rd person $1,079. I even asked on the Carnival subforum why Carnival hates people traveling with their children.

So, I just booked MSC and Princess for 2022, and the 3rd person rate was a lot less than the first two.

Kids can't by booze.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I looked up the portion of the Florida law that talks about vaccines. It says that companies can't refuse to provide services because of vaccination status, but I do not believe it says they can't ask you to voluntarily show proof.

This just may be the key to getting around the Florida law. It won't keep all un-vaxxed people off the ships but it will certainly dissuade some from cruising.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The Cleveland Clinic, a very respected institution; has published a response to this article.  The author of the article has been admonished for misinterpretation, and misrepresenting the data. The Cleveland Clinic (and many others with more skin on the walls) have NOT said "no point vaccinating COVID survivors", this headline is misrepresentative, and not at all the thoughts of the epidemiological community as a whole.

I saw on TV that the mRNA vaccines are more protective against the Delta variant than natural immunity is. That is great news for those who have been vaccinated but not so for those who have natural immunity. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, jrapps said:

I think the part you don't understand is that the cruise lines don't want unvaccinated people on their ships. This isn't about compliance with the CDC, this is about getting a business started back up again as quickly and safely and as profitable as possible. The executives of these lines have said time and time again that the vaccines are their ticket back.

The unvaccinated act like the cruise lines are fighting for them, the little guy...they aren't. The cruise lines want all vaccinated cruises more than we do. They are fighting to restart their business. They have chosen to mandate vaccines wherever they can by law (Bahamas, TX, etc). Where they can't (FL) the lines came up with the idea of charging unvaccinated all on their own. Nobody forced that on them. If they go forward with charging exorbitant high prices for Covid tests, that is the cruise lines way of telling unvaccinated passengers to wait.

I personally don't care if unvaccinated people are on the ship with me or not. But I'm pretty sure the cruise line is the one that cares, and they are doing everything they can to start sailing without that hassle.

Add to your post, the cruise lines are worried about negative media coverage.  Look at the outbreaks in 2020 particularly the Diamond Princess but they were also negative about RCI and Celebrity ships.  Also factor in media's hyping of norovirus outbreaks.  It is in the best interests of the cruise lines to be as cautious as possible.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, coffeebean said:

But......aren't the cruise lines who want to sail from Florida able to inform all passengers that if they show proof of vaccination, they will not have to have Covid tests and they will be able to enjoy their cruise without having to mask up? Hasn't that been established that is what Celebrity is doing?

I see it this way too. The cruise lines are going to do everything possible to discourage un-vaccinated to cruise with them out of Florida.

I agree with all three quotes that you posted.  To add to these quotes, the Cruise Lines are afraid of negative hyped media.   

24 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I saw on TV that the mRNA vaccines are more protective against the Delta variant than natural immunity is. That is great news for those who have been vaccinated but not so for those who have natural immunity. 

I wonder how many of the recovered have gotten the delta variant.  I haven't heard of any yet.

10 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Yikes.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Your link is not up to date regarding risk of vaccinated people and transmission of the virus. This is more up to date guidelines from the CDC from May 28th. Read the section "Recommendations for indoor and outdoor settings" HERE.

I am amazed that two information posts 5 days apart have different guidance.  The science is really moving swiftly.  At times, the speed of everything being changed makes me wonder how much thought goes into everything.....

SHAME ON Royal Caribbean for not following the CDC guidelines. Our family of ten will not travel on Royal until the proof of vaccination policy is in place. Let's be honest. If Royal had the backbone to say they would not use the ports in Florida or Texas, the governors would have backed down. 

Furious.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Just now, sept10dsm said:

Me too.  How is it going in Hawaii.  I know the NY side.

They just relaxed more restrictions today.   Slow and steady.  All the best to you. Mahalo for your post. 

you know, I did not want the vaccine.  But we got it so we could travel and also so we could see our grandson.  Now that I have it, it is like GET IT.  Did not even know I had it.  Little sore arm the first shot, nothing the second. I still don't believe it does a damn thing, but I have it so now I can cruise

2 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

They just relaxed more restrictions today.   Slow and steady.  All the best to you. Mahalo for your post. 

That's good.  sounds like the N E here.  All the best!  I've visited every state aside from Hawaii.  I don't know if I'll ever make it there now.  but I hope one day.  I don't fly so a drive again cross country and a cruise. 

Edited by sept10dsm
add

8 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

That's good.  sounds like the N E here.  All the best!  I've visited every state aside from Hawaii.  I don't know if I'll ever make it there now.  but I hope one day.  I don't fly so a drive again cross country and a cruise. 

It’s funny because i’ve visited every state except Alaska.  Lol

Just now, LouChamp said:

It’s funny because i’ve visited every state except Alaska.  Lol

It's beautiful  I went on a one way cruise (last time I flew in 1999)  and then a few years ago we drove to vancouver and did a B2B on the Island Princess  It was beautiful  and the best seas I've experienced were on these Alaska cruises.  Every so often they do a reposition cruise between Alaska and Hawaii-or at times i recall seeing them.  Who knows now.  All my (or most of my trips) all driving through the country and seeing all our country has to offer!  I've been lucky to have been able to do so.

56 minutes ago, cindymarye said:

SHAME ON Royal Caribbean for not following the CDC guidelines. Our family of ten will not travel on Royal until the proof of vaccination policy is in place. Let's be honest. If Royal had the backbone to say they would not use the ports in Florida or Texas, the governors would have backed down. 

Furious.

Could not agree more. RCL let DeSantis bully them. If they had held firm, he would have folded under the pressure of the Florida cruise industry.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, cindymarye said:

Furious.

Don’t blame Texas!  Texas law is different than Florida law.  Both Carnival and Royal have announced requiring vaccinations out of Galveston for the few months of sailing 

• Thanks 1