Changes to Covid/Mask policies --Apex

Bruin Steve

7 minutes ago, camella said:

... The worst part is you will be required to go on their shore excursions.  Not only are they expensive but they don't go where I want to go.  

Didn't they back off on this in the latest version? Or maybe it was just that we could get off the ship without having to do a cruise line excursion. I hope this much at least. I thoroughly agree their excursions are often not the best choice.

This was just posted for June 9th and applies to my ship - Apex.  You can do your own in Greece and Cyprus (we aren't going to Cyprus) but not Israel which is the main reason I am taking this cruise. Their excursions only cover about half of what we want to do.  Very disappointed.  Hoping it will change or we will change plans.

6 minutes ago, camella said:

This was just posted for June 9th and applies to my ship - Apex.  You can do your own in Greece and Cyprus (we aren't going to Cyprus) but not Israel which is the main reason I am taking this cruise. Their excursions only cover about half of what we want to do.  Very disappointed.  Hoping it will change or we will change plans.

I doubt if any cruise ships will visit Israel this year 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9690517/Huge-explosions-rock-Gaza-Israeli-warplanes-launch-airstrikes-ceasefire.html?adobe_mc=TS%3D1623801270|MCAID%3D304BDFFAFD705BD1-600003A63C67D777

Yep just saw that!  Guess it wasn't meant to be.  The other option was Alaska but my T/A says that they are canceling those also.  UGH.  Was so looking forward to it and especially wanted to have my daughter use her credit.  Now it will expire before she is able to use it 😞

15 hours ago, harkinmr said:

You seem to be bragging that disregarding the rules is an acceptable stance.  It’s not. People know exactly what the rules are.  Disseminating doesn’t improve your position. 

I am not bragging. I am stating facts. You seem to have a problem with the facts.  A reminder that I was there on the cruise and you were not.  
I’m actually one of a handful of people who has been lucky enough to be on a cruise this year…… I have another in 3 weeks too. Let’s see how that is handled.   I probably won’t bother reporting it back here though.

Conversation over. 

• Like 1

You’d think they could make some exceptions to the mask requirement like at the outdoor pool area if they implemented socially distant seating and limited the number of guests who could be out there at any one time. And while I do think it makes sense for the mask requirement indoors that is basically undercut by the fact that people will be dining without masks. Eating in one stationary spot with unmasked people would seem like a greater risk of transmission than walking down a hallway past someone with no mask or walking around outside on an open deck. Again, exactly why I’m not cruising this year. Too many variables.

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

You’d think they could make some exceptions to the mask requirement like at the outdoor pool area if they implemented socially distant seating and limited the number of guests who could be out there at any one time. And while I do think it makes sense for the mask requirement indoors that is basically undercut by the fact that people will be dining without masks. Eating in one stationary spot with unmasked people would seem like a greater risk of transmission than walking down a hallway past someone with no mask or walking around outside on an open deck. Again, exactly why I’m not cruising this year. Too many variables.

I’m with you.  At least use common sense here even if erring on the side of caution.  Outdoor masking serves no public health purpose and we’ve known that for awhile.  The Greek government may require it, but that’s a negotiation much like the vaccination requirement in the US.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lagranger36 said:

I’m with you.  At least use common sense here even if erring on the side of caution.  Outdoor masking serves no public health purpose and we’ve known that for awhile.  The Greek government may require it, but that’s a negotiation much like the vaccination requirement in the US.   

It does serve a purpose if people are outside and congregated closely together for an extended length of time, especially if they are talking continuously, shouting, singing, etc. Save for some ad-hoc musical event on a pool deck that people might gather closely together for I would see few to no situations like that happening onboard.

43 minutes ago, Lagranger36 said:

If they want us to wear a mask in certain situations,just do it already , we’ve (most of us) have been doing this for months.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If they want us to wear a mask in certain situations,just do it already , we’ve (most of us) have been doing this for months.

“Certain situations” lol.  It’s everywhere on the boat except your room.  

I’ve diligently worn my mask everywhere too.  This is overkill and anyone with any critical thinking skills knows that.  “Just do it already” isn’t helpful and a slippery slope.  I’m obviously going to do it as I’m going but it’s an asinine policy.  

We’ve been doing it for months because we haven’t been at the point of herd immunity. A 100% vaccinated boat is the definition of that.  I’d prefer not to do things with zero utility “just because”.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

It does serve a purpose if people are outside and congregated closely together for an extended length of time, especially if they are talking continuously, shouting, singing, etc. Save for some ad-hoc musical event on a pool deck that people might gather closely together for I would see few to no situations like that happening onboard.

Masks aren’t being required in stadiums with tens of thousands of people congregated together for an extended period of time, only ~65% of whom are likely vaccinated.  Celebrity has some leverage here since Greece is desperate for tourism dollars.

• Like 1

We are taking a cruise from Greece on another line on 7/10.   The rules include COVID 19 vaccinations required of every passenger from July Thru October 2021.    Team members will also be vaccinated.   Mask wearing is mandatory for all guests and team members in public areas of the ship.   Physical distancing will be maintained in terminals, on board and during shore excursions.  How much of this is Greece driven (ships only visits Greek Islands and Cyprus) and how much is driven by the line, I don’t know.

1 minute ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are taking a cruise from Greece on another line on 7/10.   The rules include COVID 19 vaccinations required of every passenger from July Thru October 2021.    Team members will also be vaccinated.   Mask wearing is mandatory for all guests and team members in public areas of the ship.   Physical distancing will be maintained in terminals, on board and during shore excursions.  How much of this is Greece driven (ships only visits Greek Islands and Cyprus) and how much is driven by the line, I don’t know.

I’m guessing it’s almost entirely driven by Greece.  The frustrating thing for those of us on Apex is that celebrity stated categorically in mid-May vaccinated cruises would not be required to wear masks, which is also when I booked. 

they’ve since either changed the policy or been more transparent about it.  You can see from the comments in this thread and others that this is a deal breaker for many.  

• Like 1

just came back from a beach vacation and catching up on news here. i gotta say reading these threads induces stress and just a not so fun perspective on cruising. but i'm glad they are here because they reinforce i wouldnt like cruising under these insanely changing rules.  if you havent taken a maskless vacation, try it. it's amazing. 

i spent 2000 for 3 nite beach vacation and no masks anywhere. it was so heavenly. theres no way i'm spending much more for a cruise and having to wear a mask basically everywhere out of my cabin. if they had discount pricing id be ok, but at least on NCL the haven pricing has shot thru the roof. id imagine X has the same issue with their suites. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Thank you!  I don’t understand why people are insisting that some sort of negotiation with the government of Greece can or will change things. I would imagine that Celebrity has done what they can. It really is just arrogant for Americans (or any other foreigner) to think we can call the shots for another country.  Cruise with the rules or don’t. Everyone’s choice. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Lagranger36 said:

Masks aren’t being required in stadiums with tens of thousands of people congregated together for an extended period of time, only ~65% of whom are likely vaccinated.  Celebrity has some leverage here since Greece is desperate for tourism dollars.

Obviously not or the rules would not have changed. American stadium rules will have little to no impact on what other countries do.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Obviously not or the rules would not have changed. American stadium rules will have little to no impact on what other countries do.  

Or they incorrectly assumed that American passengers would still cruise until these rules.  We’ll see what the reality is in terms of capacity once we’re onboard. 

23 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Thank you!  I don’t understand why people are insisting that some sort of negotiation with the government of Greece can or will change things. I would imagine that Celebrity has done what they can. It really is just arrogant for Americans (or any other foreigner) to think we can call the shots for another country.  Cruise with the rules or don’t. Everyone’s choice. 

It has nothing to do with Americans, it has to do with the reality of a 100% vaccinated cruise.  If your country still had a mask mandate at 100% vaccination would you be question it’s utility and intent? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lagranger36 said:

It has nothing to do with Americans, it has to do with the reality of a 100% vaccinated cruise.  If your country still had a mask mandate at 100% vaccination would you be question it’s utility and intent? 

It most certainly does have to do with nationality.  Greece is not at 100% vaccination.  The fact remains that Greece is calling the shots here.  If you think that you can get Celebrity to loosen the rules by complaining on CC then have at it. Come back and let us know how it turns out. 😏

Edited by harkinmr

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It most certainly does have to do with nationality.  Greece is not at 100% vaccination.  The fact remains that Greece is calling the shots here.  If you think that you can get Celebrity to loosen the rules by complaining on CC then have at it. Come back and let us know how it turns out. 😏

Anything is better than lying down and taking whatever everyone else dishes out.  Every movement starts with one voice 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m currently following a travel blogger in Greece, since late May, when he started in Athens.     As he was walking around Athens, filming with his camera, half the people were wearing mask, but mainly on their chins.    Now that he is touring various islands, I see very few people wearing masks.     Also, I thought the Caribbean and Mexico have Mask Mandates. If so, why are Celebrity Millennium and Adventure of The Seas not requiring Masks?

6 minutes ago, DAK1405 said:

I’m currently following a travel blogger in Greece, since late May, when he started in Athens.     As he was walking around Athens, filming with his camera, half the people were wearing mask, but mainly on their chins.    Now that he is touring various islands, I see very few people wearing masks.     Also, I thought the Caribbean and Mexico have Mask Mandates. If so, why are Celebrity Millennium and Adventure of The Seas not requiring Masks?

Maybe the cruise lines negotiated with the countries because they rely on American tourism!  What a foreign thought to some people on this board 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAK1405 said:

Celebrity is requiring them where an island requires them for shore excursions. Adventure requires them for going ashore in Cozumel. Neither St. Maarten or The Bahamas had any other restrictions for approval to sail from their countries other than testing for entry and return. Each country with a home port may be different. For example, for UK sailings masks are required even when on fully vaccinated sailings. 

Edited by harkinmr

6 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Celebrity is requiring them where an island requires them for shore excursions. Adventure requires them for going ashore in Cozumel. Neither St. Maarten or The Bahamas had any other restrictions for approval to sail from their countries other than testing for entry and return. Each country with a home port may be different. For example, for UK sailings masks are required even when on fully vaccinated sailings. 

Lol you’re contradicting yourself and answering a different question. The reality is it’s a negotiation between the countries and the cruise lines and that’s blatantly apparent.

• Like 1

Just now, Lagranger36 said:

The bottom line is that no matter how often and in what manner you express your dissatisfaction, Celebrity will make the decision on the health and safety protocols in line with its own best practises combined with requirements imposed upon it by the countries its cruises visit. It's time to either accept that reality or cancel. The cruise industry is in a state of constant flux because of the pandemic, so you can anticipate Celebrity and other lines revising their protocols on an ongoing basis for the foreseeable future. That's why some of us chose to delay and book for next year, in the hope that cruising will have stabilized to a large extent.

• Like 2