Texting with pre-teens.. is Voom required on Symphony?

Hey all.  We are set to cruise in September.  This is a lift and shift from last year but my oldest has officially aged out of the teen club.  He has a call phone and we wanted to be able to text him while on-board.  We hate having our cell phones on cruising typically but need to keep tabs on the kiddo.  I have read different things about basic ship wifi and the app allowing texting without the voom plan but am trying to confirm.  Again, no need to surf or do social media, just need to text my 12 year old if need be.  

Thanks

9 minutes ago, RN&Momof3 said:

Hey all.  We are set to cruise in September.  This is a lift and shift from last year but my oldest has officially aged out of the teen club.  He has a call phone and we wanted to be able to text him while on-board.  We hate having our cell phones on cruising typically but need to keep tabs on the kiddo.  I have read different things about basic ship wifi and the app allowing texting without the voom plan but am trying to confirm.  Again, no need to surf or do social media, just need to text my 12 year old if need be.  

Thanks

Prior to the shutdown in order to text on Symphony you needed wifi and an app to text.  It does appear that they have added the texting feature to most ships during the last year.  Wait and ask again once Symphony starts to sail. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Omg I was wondering the same thing. I refuse to pay for the WiFi. I don’t want my kids in their phones all week (nor my hubby) but I do want to somehow connect with them. My daughter also has not aged out and I want to somehow keep in contact at times.

36 minutes ago, RN&Momof3 said:

Thanks

We very rarely use them, so I don't know if this has changed, but in some ships, rooms have "wireless" phones that work anywhere on ship and they can call each other. I think last time we used them was a solid 8 years ago, but it did the trick. You might not be able to text, but you can call it from your room and vice versa.

We have 2 kids 20 & 16.

In over 20 + voyages we never had WIFI, Texting, or any form of Tech.

We have also never had issues of communication.

Don't under estimate the power of room phones, post it notes,  meeting times, and " I will be in this spot most of the day"....

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

We have 2 kids 20 & 16.

In over 20 + voyages we never had WIFI, Texting, or any form of Tech.

We have also never had issues of communication.

Don't under estimate the power of room phones, post it notes,  meeting times, and " I will be in this spot most of the day"....

Yup, also I've seen some folks put a magnetic sheet "white board" on their door and leave each other their whereabouts. But good old fashion pen and paper notes on door would also work.

4 hours ago, coldflame said:

We very rarely use them, so I don't know if this has changed, but in some ships, rooms have "wireless" phones that work anywhere on ship and they can call each other. I think last time we used them was a solid 8 years ago, but it did the trick.

Very unlikely you did that on an RCI ship.

• Like 1

If you have the Royal app on your phone you can “chat” with other linked guests while on the free Royal wifi. I think there’s a small fee, but not sure.

I don’t know if links are allowed here but google that phrase and it takes you to Royal Caribbean blog that has the details.

Edited by lovesthebeach2

First off, at 12 he's aged out of Adventure Ocean, but aged into the teen program 12-14 group.  Lots of activities, but the ability to come and go as they please.  We've been sailing with kids for 20+ years, most without texting lol.  They knew I expect them to check in regularly, and we lived by the cabin post it note.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all... he is kind of a loner so while I am hoping he makes friends in the kids club he is more likely to be found trying to take something apart to put back together.  I'll look into the chat option for the royal wifi