LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Menu quite interesting.  Are you permitted to order more than one item as you are on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean?  On occasion when I don't see something I want to enjoy the waiters will get me what I want from another restaurant on the ship or allow me to have multiple starters instead of main course.  Not really a picky eater and love to try new things but certain foods don't agree with me.  One in our party of 4 eats Plant Based and NO oils.  She will not have an issue but may need to have a dish prepared differently.  Chef on more than one cruise came to table to assist cruisers with menu choices for the following night.

I would imagine with Vikings excellent reputation they may too be flexible.

If I order something I have never had is it ok to send it back and get another item in its place?

On your MVJ, under "Onboard Experience" in the "Preferences" Section, enter any diet restrictions or preferences in the "Dietary Restrictions" Section to flag the waiters and cooks the need for Plant Based and No oils restrictions or any other food preferences you or your party has.  Do it at least seven days before you board since that is when this information is downloaded to the ship.  Doing this will simplify your ordering, just tell the waier to check your dieary restrictions in your cruise profile.

Yes, you can order as many starters or main courses or desserts as you want but try not to be wasteful.  If there are multiple things that I want, I generally ask for half portions.

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, trhattan said:

you can keep them out of your mouth & nose by wearing your covid mask.

We have midges here in Northern Michigan so if folks are still reporting swarms I will bring my net face hat/covering. It doesn’t fog up my glasses like my COVID mask. 😂 

• Like 2

We brought a packable down jacket (very lightweight, fits into its own pocket) and a North Face  rain jacket.  We have used both almost every day, starts off with both on and depending on the excersion, boat etc. we may be going down to the down jacket or rain jacket (so far mostly use for protection from the wind). We were on the National Treasures and went from cool, down right chilly to windy (with midges) to warm blowing winds to downright beautiful as we got off the bus back at the ship.  Went swimming outside in the infinity pool, warmed up in the hot tub when we got back. We carry the extra jackets in the backpack, so glad we layered.  Haven't used the hat or gloves yet.  But I would rather peel off layers than to be cold and/or wet.  Iceland weather can change fast! 

• Like 4

Oh and midges are definitely around certain areas.  Our guide the other day said her husband is  allergic to the midges bites! They say if your allergic to no see ums (which I am) you will be to midges.  She said not all of them bite, more the ones that are around the lakes.  I brought head net, benadryl and deet.  I did use my rain jacket tightened up the hood and used my face mask and glasses to protect.  We were lucky the winds were strong enough, but they swarm your face, up the nose etc. if the wind doesn't ward them off. Yuck!  But it was all worth it to see the amazing landscape. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flaladyB said:

Did anyone attend the 530 am "whale watch" in the Explorer lounge this am on the way in to Akureryi?  Any reports on the GeoBath outing in Husavik?  Thanks for  all the info that has been forthcoming!!

We came, we saw ( nothing 😉) , we had mimosas! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, rsusma said:

How is the fitness center being handled?  Thanks

Pretty sure it is like the thermal spa in that you have to make an an appointment but will try to confirm tomorrow for you.  Keep in mind that depaending in when you are going , this could change.

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Menu quite interesting.  Are you permitted to order more than one item as you are on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean?  On occasion when I don't see something I want to enjoy the waiters will get me what I want from another restaurant on the ship or allow me to have multiple starters instead of main course.  Not really a picky eater and love to try new things but certain foods don't agree with me.  One in our party of 4 eats Plant Based and NO oils.  She will not have an issue but may need to have a dish prepared differently.  Chef on more than one cruise came to table to assist cruisers with menu choices for the following night.

If I order something I have never had is it ok to send it back and get another item in its place?

Yes, you can order more than item or if you want two of something ( like a lobster ) you can do that too or order something and if you really do not like it, send it back for something else.  As  someone else mentioned, the person with the dietary  requests should get with Viking before the cruise if possible.  They are very willing to accommodate guests, but it is always best to give them a heads up if possible. 

2 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

but they swarm your face, up the nose etc. if the wind doesn't ward them off.

I think I have helped the midge swarm issue with a fist in the air... (it's been awhile).  Seems to me they swarm the highest point.  You might look strange, but nice to have them away from your face.  See if it works and report back?  🙂

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

You can order anything on the menu.  I have done salad, two starters and dessert or asked for half portions so I could try more.  The Restaurant has a standard menu of items always available and then the specials for that day.

3 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

We brought a packable down jacket (very lightweight, fits into its own pocket) and a North Face  rain jacket.  We have used both almost every day, starts off with both on and depending on the excersion, boat etc. we may be going down to the down jacket or rain jacket (so far mostly use for protection from the wind). We were on the National Treasures and went from cool, down right chilly to windy (with midges) to warm blowing winds to downright beautiful as we got off the bus back at the ship.  Went swimming outside in the infinity pool, warmed up in the hot tub when we got back. We carry the extra jackets in the backpack, so glad we layered.  Haven't used the hat or gloves yet.  But I would rather peel off layers than to be cold and/or wet.  Iceland weather can change fast! 

Great advice, thanks. How was that tour - was their time for walking around or all bus touring?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Just a quick reminder that I'm trying to collect notes from the sailings at the following location:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rJqx62oEB9Ty8LckUD5NfSUM8HYyC_fs?usp=sharing

Feedback and corrections welcome.

-- Ethan

Ethan—these notes are so helpful!  Thank you for taking the time to do this!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Snit13 said:

I can attest that Viking takes care of you at meal time,  I have a peanut allergy and they brought me the next days menu and told anything that might have peanuts or products in them.  They even made a special dessert for me.  One night I ordered a fish that I didn't like. They took it away and brought me a totally different meal. They brught me two shrimp cocktails when I asked also. I have ordered several appetizers for my meal...no problem.

3 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Great advice, thanks. How was that tour - was their time for walking around or all bus touring?

Tour was AMAZING! It was like going from Alaska to Mars to Yellowstone! Bus to get us to each site, some long walks but some shorter ones also.  The bus was a little more than half full.. Highly recommend this.  If it is sold out, ask on board, there are people who got tickets as people canceled (same with Vigor Island, although very limited access due to only 4 live on the island) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Camden lady said:

I can attest that Viking takes care of you at meal time,  I have a peanut allergy and they brought me the next days menu and told anything that might have peanuts or products in them.  They even made a special dessert for me.  One night I ordered a fish that I didn't like. They took it away and brought me a totally different meal. They brught me two shrimp cocktails when I asked also. I have ordered several appetizers for my meal...no problem.

Thanks, good to know there will be no problems.  We already filled out the dietary information on Viking site.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, that really works 

I dislike midges more than being cold and wet. So I ordered a net to put over a hat or my head for Natural Treasures excursion. Guy sent me 2 with note saying he was sorry I had to pay Amazon just to ship one! Packs up into an inch square. Put it in my with my camera.

16250544059062471761320255540406.jpg

13 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

We have midges here in Northern Michigan so if folks are still reporting swarms I will bring my net face hat/covering. It doesn’t fog up my glasses like my COVID mask. 😂 

I didn't know if these would work for glasses fog, but they do. Also wearing a well fitting duckbill rather than pleated mask helps.

16250549216307377359052459599511.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I dislike midges more than being cold and wet. So I ordered a net to put over a hat or my head for Natural Treasures excursion. Guy sent me 2 with note saying he was sorry I had to pay Amazon just to ship one! Packs up into an inch square. Put it in my with my camera.

16250544059062471761320255540406.jpg

We have had midges on The Golden Circle, a few on Vigor Island, some on National Treasures (but rest assured if it hadn't been windy, we would have been covered) and a few at Vok Baths (again had a breeze). 

I agree hate them also!