LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Please stop the "Mask" discussion on this "LIVE" forum;  Talk of "enforcement" and  "forfeiting the excursion" plus the suggestion that people who "remove masks during the excursion should not be allowed back on board" is extremely scary for me and others that might check this Forum for "Live" information for their upcoming cruise. Let's not forget that we and the crew are all Vaccinated, we all were Tested, Iceland has had zero cases in recent months; why are you so worried about your fellow cruiser and whether or not he/she has a mask on.  MYOB and worry about your mask only!   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Sounds like the usual disconnect between landside office operations and actual ship policy.

or maybe they need people off sooner because there's more to do now due to Covid - enhanced cleaning, putting out test vials, etc.  I'm used to vacating a cruise ship by 8, though - and it's always a crazy, kind of sad, up early kind of day......

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Toohottogolf said:

Please stop the "Mask" discussion on this "LIVE" forum

Although I don’t have a strong feeling on the topic one way or another, I have to disagree with your statement.  Seems to me that a discussion of this type is within CC’s new Covid discussion policy, first sentence quoted below:

“Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.”

If, as others have said, the Captain and CD have asked people to wear masks on the excursions, it appears to be policy.  Discussion of whether fellow passengers wear masks on an excursion seems to me to be practical application of policy.

But I have to agree that it is perhaps going a bit to far to speculate here about what type of punishment Viking should mete out for those not wearing masks.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Unfortunately,  without a viking rep on the bus, I'm sure the guide and bus driver don't want to get involved enforcing masks as we've seen how that can turn into a bad situation.  The captain had just pleaded that morning and we still had a handful on our bus not wearing them. I'd hope fellow travelers who are thrilled to return to cruising would like those following us to get to enjoy their cruise but apparently not. 😥

Not trying to be controversial here, but I thought Iceland removed all restrictions, including masks? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dobbs36 said:

Not trying to be controversial here, but I thought Iceland removed all restrictions, including masks? 

They have, but pax on a Viking cruise are supposed to follow Viking’s requirements. It’s in the pax contract that you must follow instrux from the Captain. And they can deny you boarding if they so choose—it’s in the contract!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, azjoy said:

We took that flight on 7/1.  Loved arriving at night rather than AM.  We arranged private transfer because we wanted to get to hotel in time to sleep.  (On a previous trip it took a transfer and quite a while to get there using the shared shuttle.)  BTW, the airport was empty when we arrived!

Only problem was arriving at hotel at 10pm, no restaurants were serving so dinner was some granola bars I brought and a bag of nuts from the plane.  

Iceland did, viking did not. We were all hoping the mask policy would change but were more excited that they at least ended the viking bubble which has allowed us to leave the ship to explore on our own and that only changed right before we arrived.  We are only commenting that viking could change the policy back and we don't wish that on the cruisers who follow us. The saliva test isn't pleasant either but also a viking policy. I don't enjoy it but understand that they don't want to be that cruise line in the news should anything happen. 

• Like 2

Two questions:  

Has anyone gone to the World Cafe and then eaten outside, or is it just a little bit too cool/breezy for that?  We love eating outside, but aren't sure if we'll be able to do that on this itinerary!  

And is anyone off the ship tonight, since the ship is in port until 11 PM?  Is there anything much to see/do/photograph in the town, other than the rainbow street?  

9 hours ago, Australia08 said:

Is there no Viking rep on board the bus?  We’ve always had somebody from Viking on each bus tour we’ve taken. They just kind of ride along, but in this case, they could remind about the rules. 

No Viking reps on the buses.  

58 minutes ago, ustowas said:

We have a flight that arrives KEF at 6:30. Has anyone had a similar arrival time since July 1? I was wondering what the viking pickup time was and how arrival at the sky worked out.???

I've been watching all the posts and from what I can tell, here's how things work: If you have a Viking transfer, you'll be met at baggage by Viking reps, whenever you get there.  (And if you're coming in at 6:30 AM, I assume you're on Icelandair's nonstop from Dulles, same as my husband and me - August 3 for Jupiter sailing).   After deplaning, you'll go through Iceland's passport control, etc. (including barcode check for vax status I believe) and get your luggage. As you probably know, there's no longer a stop for Iceland Covid testing. Make sure you have Viking tags on your luggage and wear your red Viking sticker so Viking can find you.  Look for the Viking people in red. It sounds like you can now get through the airport in about an hour, but of course that can vary!! 

Viking people will load us up on coaches for about a 45 minute ride to Reykjavik's Harpa Concert Hall downtown.  Viking will take care of your luggage and you'll see it in your room, but of course keep out any you'll need for the next few hours.   At Harpa, Viking will check you in, give you room card and a tracing device on a lanyard, and feed you breakfast (reported to be quiche, etc.)   At least one person reported that a guide offered to take some  folks in Harpa for a short walk around the immediate area - or you can go out on your own.  Buses to the ship start running about 11,  I assume first come, first served for the bus ride of about 5 minutes. Once on the bus you'll get a short afety demonstration of some kind (use of life vest, I think) and then when rooms are ready (so far, has been reported as 12:30) you can go to your room to fill the saliva tube(s) there for the first Viking Covid test.  (Make sure it's been at least a half hour after eating/drinking anything).  You'll need to watch a safety video on your room TV at some point.  I suppose there's food available too, at that time. People report that after you've provided the saliva test, you can go where you want on the ship or off.  Shuttles reported as running until 9 that night.

we are on the Jupiter at the end of August so you guys may not be able to help me.  But, I have a new hard side bag that's pretty big.  How much clearance is there under the bed?  I've got my old battle scared rolling duffle that will fit for sure.  But this bag is 2 years old and I haven't been able to use it.  LOL

Skalanes Nature Center tour.  Yes, it said 60 degrees high today in Seydisfjordur but that didn't include a wind chill factor nor did it apply to weather at the nature center.  It was cold and I was glad to have both my wool sweater and my down vest. 

The highlight of this tour -- and it was the best so far -- was the walk out to the cliffs.  It was 800m over gravel path to the viewing deck, with steps up to the deck. There be nesting puffins here! A least for now.  

As with Vigur Island, the owner was our guide.  Skalanes is not just a nature center.  In the summer they host academic research projects. One group is collecting DNA samples from Artic Foxes. They aren't even studying the DNA; they are just working the methodology for collecting the samples -- an important step to worked out for future studies.  

The ride out to Skalanes was all dirt road. Fording the streams in the bus was rough, perhaps too rough for bad backs (certainly something to think about). Steps into the bus  were steep but do-able.  

We tried to reserve dinning.  It says restaurant.  Is this the same as MDR as some people talk about in the Roll Calls?  The only time available at the Restaurant  is 8:30 pm for Sept 7 sailing.  Anyway to get 6:30  Thanks.

Jim

13 minutes ago, mcjyl said:

We tried to reserve dinning.  It says restaurant.  Is this the same as MDR as some people talk about in the Roll Calls? 

Viking's name for it is 'The Restaurant'.  Lots of people refer to it as MDR (Main dining room?)

6 hours ago, azjoy said:

We made our own flight arrangements for a late flight (5pm) on Saturday and reserved a private transfer to airport to pick us up at 9:30am.  This was done AFTER contacting Viking and being told we only needed to leave the ship between 9 and 10am. 

Now on board, we were advised we have to leave ship by 8am.  We have escalated to Guest Services Management and are awaiting a reply.  Will advise when they respond.

(Our transfer includes a stop that doesn't open until 10am so we don't want to leave earlier and stand around outside for an extra hour.)

Might I ask you the favor of asking a related question for me? I'm in a similar situation. We are not on the official transfers because we are spending mid-day at the Blue Lagoon, but I had also thought that we could relax on board for a bit.

I'd like to know if it is possible to "add on" the transfer to The Pearl (where they are holding passengers until it's time to go to the airport) and spend time there, without getting the whole transfer out to the airport. We'd obviously rather not spend $49 each for a 15 minute transfer just to The Pearl in order to have a place to stall for a couple hours.

Thanks!

-- Ethan

1 hour ago, mcjyl said:

We tried to reserve dinning.  It says restaurant.  Is this the same as MDR as some people talk about in the Roll Calls?  The only time available at the Restaurant  is 8:30 pm for Sept 7 sailing.  Anyway to get 6:30  Thanks.

Jim

The main dining room "The Restaurant" may ease up on needing any reservation and may have an open seating policy as some cruise itineraries have already adopted.

2 hours ago, hodges97 said:

we are on the Jupiter at the end of August so you guys may not be able to help me.  But, I have a new hard side bag that's pretty big.  How much clearance is there under the bed?  I've got my old battle scared rolling duffle that will fit for sure.  But this bag is 2 years old and I haven't been able to use it.  LOL

If you leave the big bag open, I'm sure you can slide it under the bed.  You could place a towel over the open bag to protect the contents from dust.

Another question.  We also get in at about 6:30... I assume we will board at about 10..10:30.  Could we do a tour to Fagradalsfjall when they get our luggage and after we board?... assuming we are still out of the bubble...

4 hours ago, dobbs36 said:

We must travel and comply by Iceland's and Vikings rules when cruising.  Here Viking's requirements exceed Iceland's

33 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Another question.  We also get in at about 6:30... I assume we will board at about 10..10:30.  Could we do a tour to Fagradalsfjall when they get our luggage and after we board?... assuming we are still out of the bubble...

Good question!

6 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

But I have to agree that it is perhaps going a bit to far to speculate here about what type of punishment Viking should mete out for those not wearing masks.

Keelhaul 'em Maties.

• Haha 1