LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

2 hours ago, C-sea said:

The main dining room "The Restaurant" may ease up on needing any reservation and may have an open seating policy as some cruise itineraries have already adopted.

I recall reading a post from someone who is on the Iceland cruise right now and they said their reservation at Restaurant was at 8:30, however they went at 6:30 just to check to see if they could change it and were seated immediately.  That flexibility could change for the next cruise that begins the 10th as I believe there will be more passengers onboard.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Another question.  We also get in at about 6:30... I assume we will board at about 10..10:30.  Could we do a tour to Fagradalsfjall when they get our luggage and after we board?... assuming we are still out of the bubble...

Buses from Harpa to ship start leaving at 10:45am. 

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It was gorgeous for the first couple of hours of the day but the the fog rolled in and along with it a chilly breeze.  On the Skalanes tour it was cold and I wore my wool sweater and down vest.  DH regrets not having grabbed his jacket.  

Arrival at next beautiful port, same forecast of sun and 60 but as you read from our posts yesterday,  the weather can change minute to minute so prepare for everything. The rain pants remain in my bag and hope they continue to just be my daily luggage that I carry but never use! 

20210708_072912.jpg

• Like 11

We are tendering this morning in Djupivogur.  Our cabin is right over the tender. Man, is that noisy! 

We are off to the glacier lagoon this morning. Woo-hoo! 

It rained overnight. But this morning it is that strange combination of fog and sunshine that we have been getting all week. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Birds all over the world nest during their summer months.  Migrating birds must be fully fledged and strong enough to either migrate or survive their winter season.

I understand that of course but I thought they lived there.  To  where do they migrate ????    J

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We are tendering this morning in Djupivogur.  Our cabin is right over the tender. Man, is that noisy! 

It rained overnight. But this morning it is that strange combination of fog and sunshine that we have been getting all week. 

Is it the “Vog” from the volcano we’ve been hearing about?

13 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've been watching all the posts and from what I can tell, here's how things work: If you have a Viking transfer, you'll be met at baggage by Viking reps, whenever you get there.  (And if you're coming in at 6:30 AM, I assume you're on Icelandair's nonstop from Dulles, same as my husband and me - August 3 for Jupiter sailing).   After deplaning, you'll go through Iceland's passport control, etc. (including barcode check for vax status I believe) and get your luggage. As you probably know, there's no longer a stop for Iceland Covid testing. Make sure you have Viking tags on your luggage and wear your red Viking sticker so Viking can find you.  Look for the Viking people in red. It sounds like you can now get through the airport in about an hour, but of course that can vary!! 

Viking people will load us up on coaches for about a 45 minute ride to Reykjavik's Harpa Concert Hall downtown.  Viking will take care of your luggage and you'll see it in your room, but of course keep out any you'll need for the next few hours.   At Harpa, Viking will check you in, give you room card and a tracing device on a lanyard, and feed you breakfast (reported to be quiche, etc.)   At least one person reported that a guide offered to take some  folks in Harpa for a short walk around the immediate area - or you can go out on your own.  Buses to the ship start running about 11,  I assume first come, first served for the bus ride of about 5 minutes. Once on the bus you'll get a short afety demonstration of some kind (use of life vest, I think) and then when rooms are ready (so far, has been reported as 12:30) you can go to your room to fill the saliva tube(s) there for the first Viking Covid test.  (Make sure it's been at least a half hour after eating/drinking anything).  You'll need to watch a safety video on your room TV at some point.  I suppose there's food available too, at that time. People report that after you've provided the saliva test, you can go where you want on the ship or off.  Shuttles reported as running until 9 that night.

I too have been following since post 1.  I have seen no reference to wheelchair assist.  I have requested wheelchair assist from Delta and Viking.  Has anyone seen this service in action and if so, does your assistant wait in line or do you skip the line as you do with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean?

For suitcase under the bed: Not sure how large is large, but the one I use (at least for longer cruises) is almost 11 inches tall including wheels and it fit under the bed before.  It's possible you may have to lift one end of the bed an inch or two to get something under it, however. Or you could put it in the back of the closet.  But I like the "leave it open" with towel over it idea!

Peregrina, please let us know how the lagoon excursion went. I'll be doing that in less than a month.

And just for everyone's info, Viking Jupiter is now anchored a bit north of Reykjavik, after coming over from Denmark.  She's getting ready for those passengers in a few days - woohoo!   And on Sunday both Sky and Jupiter will be in Reykjavik!  

Jupiter is not on a webcam yet, but the Miobakki webcam at the Old Harbor shows the National Geographic small ship  Explorer in the harbor there - kind of interesting for those of us who like webcams and ships!

• Like 1

Received an email from Viking yesterday afternoon stating that those of us on August 31 sailing can book our excursions beginning at 9 am Pacific Time.  If it is anything like dining reservations, by 9:01 all excursions will be gone.  We are hoping to snag a few of the $$$ excursions as the email states that all will be accommodated on the included excursions.  I am only able to do the EASY excursions so hopefully today will be my lucky booking day.

16 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Received an email from Viking yesterday afternoon stating that those of us on August 31 sailing can book our excursions beginning at 9 am Pacific Time.  If it is anything like dining reservations, by 9:01 all excursions will be gone.  We are hoping to snag a few of the $$$ excursions as the email states that all will be accommodated on the included excursions.  I am only able to do the EASY excursions so hopefully today will be my lucky booking day.

Well, it was maybe 40 minutes it took for 2 of the popular, paid excursions I wanted to get snapped up.  But those would have been puffin-hunting excursions for me (Vigur Island on Isafjordur and Boat trip on Heimaey).  But I've since read that people are seeing puffins on the Footsteps of the Elves excursion, so I signed up for that.  And in late August, early September, the puffins may be reduced in numbers quite a bit (or off at sea fishing, or deciding not to be visible, or whatever puffins do!) so those excursions may not be as desirable as they look for those doing the last couple sailings. But yes, don't worry about the included excursions - guaranteed.  They had loads of times available, with the early morning ones apparently very popular so that people can stay in port, or do another afternoon excursion, etc.  But I WOULD suggest that you prioritize your "wants," reserve those first, pay for them, and then go back and do the rest, leaving the included ones until last. And while some people want to see and do it all, this is a very port intensive itinerary, so my opinion is that there's nothing wrong with just doing an included excursion, walking around a little bit, and going back to the ship to relax!  Good luck!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay23 said:

I understand that of course but I thought they lived there.  To  where do they migrate ????    J

Puffins are sea birds, and as such, they spend most of their time at sea, believe it or not, creating nests in the volcanic rocks and soil "caves"for the purpose of breeding and raising young.  Icelandic Puffins have waterproofed feathers and can drink salt water and can live 20 years or more.  Cool article by the Audubon Society:  https://projectpuffin.audubon.org/birds/puffin-faqs

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Well, it was maybe 40 minutes it took for 2 of the popular, paid excursions I wanted to get snapped up.  But those would have been puffin-hunting excursions for me (Vigur Island on Isafjordur and Boat trip on Heimaey).  But I've since read that people are seeing puffins on the Footsteps of the Elves excursion, so I signed up for that.  And in late August, early September, the puffins may be reduced in numbers quite a bit (or off at sea fishing, or deciding not to be visible, or whatever puffins do!) so those excursions may not be as desirable as they look for those doing the last couple sailings. But yes, don't worry about the included excursions - guaranteed.  They had loads of times available, with the early morning ones apparently very popular so that people can stay in port, or do another afternoon excursion, etc.  But I WOULD suggest that you prioritize your "wants," reserve those first, pay for them, and then go back and do the rest, leaving the included ones until last. And while some people want to see and do it all, this is a very port intensive itinerary, so my opinion is that there's nothing wrong with just doing an included excursion, walking around a little bit, and going back to the ship to relax!  Good luck!   

And as for the wheelchair assist, I don't know about Viking.  However, as far as I know, Iceland's international airport service is like other airports in that someone will meet you right off the plane and take you all the way through the airport (immigration, baggage, etc.)  I've ordered wheelchair service from Icelandair for my spouse, since he's not the best at walking long distances, especially after flying for 6 hours.  

12 hours ago, trhattan said:

If you leave the big bag open, I'm sure you can slide it under the bed.  You could place a towel over the open bag to protect the contents from dust.

What you need to know is the exact clearance from the bottom of the bed to the floor.  Maybe someone currently on board would be so kind as to measure it for you and report here.  OR post your question as a new thread on Viking Ocean.  I know it has been discussed and someone out there has the measurement.

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Always avoided those cabins.  Can't wait to hear about your glacier adventure.

5 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Arrival at next beautiful port, same forecast of sun and 60 but as you read from our posts yesterday,  the weather can change minute to minute so prepare for everything. The rain pants remain in my bag and hope they continue to just be my daily luggage that I carry but never use! 

20210708_072912.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to post photos and comments.

We're considering taking this cruise in August.  We are not new to high-end cruises but will be new to Viking.  I've read through all 36 pages of this thread.  Two things are causing us to reconsider.  First, it sounds like booking at this late date (for the 8/21 departure) will lead to missing some preferred excursions  and dining choices as they will already be booked.  Second, we are far from "anti-mask/anti-vax" but it seems a bit excessive to require masks when moving about the ship when all passengers and crew are fully vaccinated, tested on a daily basis and location monitored..  

Edited by travel4b

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Peregrina, is that deck 3, and if so, forward, aft, mid, port, starboard?  Which cabins hear the tenders being lowered?  thanks!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

And as for the wheelchair assist, I don't know about Viking.  However, as far as I know, Iceland's international airport service is like other airports in that someone will meet you right off the plane and take you all the way through the airport (immigration, baggage, etc.)  I've ordered wheelchair service from Icelandair for my spouse, since he's not the best at walking long distances, especially after flying for 6 hours.  

As far as airport wheelchair assist I always see them waiting where passengers exit the aircraft no matter what airport or airline.  I don't believe Viking has any wheelchair assist anywhere.  In the Passenger Ticket Contract page 18 Section 12. Passenger's Warranties and Fitness; Pregnancy; Accessibility Limitations; Health and Special Needs you will find Vikings requirements and your notification responsibilities.  Even though Viking personnel offer a helping hand as we get on or off the gangway, we must be able to walk it without using a wheelchair, walker etc.  A helping hand or two is also given as we board or disembark a tender but we must make the step up or down on our own.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, travel4b said:

We're considering taking this cruise in August.  We are not new to high-end cruises but will be new to Viking.  I've read through all 36 pages of this thread.  Two things are causing us to reconsider.  First, it sounds like booking at this late date (for the 8/21 departure) will lead to missing some preferred excursions  and dining choices as they will already be booked.  Second, we are far from "anti-mask/anti-vax" but it seems a bit excessive to require masks when moving about the ship when all passengers and crew are fully vaccinated, tested on a daily basis and location monitored..  

As far as excursion availability perhaps you may want to check the Roll Call for your particular sailing date and ask what is sold out.  Or look at the Iceland Natural Beauty 2022 Roll Call as most people are following that one also.

As far as masks or other requirements, page 5 of the Passenger Ticket Contract  in #10. Compliance with Laws, Regulations and Ship's Orders: Indemnification details our compliance responsibility and consequence for not doing so.  If masking at times or wearing a contact tracing device is a requirement at the time of ones sailing, we must do it.  We must be willing to comply in order to sail.  Objection or discussion is futile.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, travel4b said:

You could pick a departure date which has not yet started booking excursions. Then you're in the same boat (pun intended) as everyone else. Also, since we're being allowed off the ships on our own, you could look into booking without outside vendors. Probably cheaper that way.

As to the masks, when outside and when seated you can take them off. It seems like it should be no more than a minor inconvenience to have them on when walking around the ship. And you can wear any type of mask you like; it doesn't have to be tight fitting.

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Please let us know about that excursion!  We’re booked on it on an upcoming cruise but I’m wondering if it’s worth it?

13 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Another question.  We also get in at about 6:30... I assume we will board at about 10..10:30.  Could we do a tour to Fagradalsfjall when they get our luggage and after we board?... assuming we are still out of the bubble...

You could, but the volcano is much closer to the airport than to the pier. You might look into booking a transfer (e.g. btitravel.is) with a stop on the way. They can hold your bags. 

47 minutes ago, travel4b said:

Some may disagree, or have other experiences, but my opinion/impression is that most people are getting most or all of the excursions they choose, especially if they book right when their window opens, and pay for the important ones before booking the lesser important ones.  And of course some people have reported getting on a sold out excursion by going to express interest in the excursion when they board Sky.  And some people change their minds about excursions, or find a third party excursion (with the assumption that the Welcome Back cruises will go well, and the prohibitions about doing do will continue to be lifted).  And some people get a little tired as the port-intensive cruise goes on and decide to scale back a little.  Or they get sick and have to cancel, or decide to join their new found friends on an alternate excursion (or for dinner). 

There has been talk of people being shut out of the excursions they want, but there also may be plenty of people who got exactly what they wanted but just didn't post.  And as for dining, everyone will get to dine at Manfredi's and Chef's Table, but perhaps they can only (now) get reservations for a time or day that's later than they want.  But things DO change once you're on board, although we've always found Manfredi's a little difficult for getting ideal times if we wait too long.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Liz55 said:

Please let us know about that excursion!  We’re booked on it on an upcoming cruise but I’m wondering if it’s worth it?

People really do love the ice lagoon, but you have to decide whether 5 hours on a bus is worth 45 minutes on the water. Also, if not the ice lagoon, what would you do instead?