LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

2 hours ago, joepeggy said:

Anyone arrange their own transfer from the airport to the ship and return to airport?

Yes.  I arranged through AirportDirect using their Private Transfer. Very pleased with our driver Walter with whom Airport Direct had subcontracted.  We had five of us in the comfortable van which would seat 8 but would have been uncomfortable with that many. Cost from  ship to KEF worked out to be $42 per person so slightly less than Viking’s transfer. We also got to sleep in an hour longer! 😊

CD69C1B8-3D0D-4E83-B116-C68587B00FB7.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

The following are facts:

1. The VERIFY app is to verify that you and your sister are fully vaccinated. This information is for the Viking Cruises to facilitate your embarkation process. No Airline agent or Iceland KEF officer will look at the VERIFY passes. You should not worry about it if you are truly and fully vaccinated. Viking can take care of the verification at embarkation if you two can get there.

2. The PCR test should be taken within the 72 hours from the departure time of the last direct flight to Iceland. If your JFK flight to KEF is at 12pm Friday. You and your sister should take the test on or after 12pm Tuesday and no sooner. To guarantee that you meet the 72 hours requirement even if your plane is delayed is to TAKE A SECOND PCR test at, let say, 12pm Wednesday and have the lab email the results to you while you are on route to KEF. Please bring something to prove that you and your sister had taken a second test. The proof is for the airline agent and KEF officer. By the way, most places perform the PCR test with no copay.

3. If the names in the test reports are the same as those in your and your sister's passport. You will have no surprises at the JFK airport counter or at KEF immigration.

If the above are in good order, you and your sister should have no problems. Have a great trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

I have similar msg from United for my SFO-EWR-KEF Flight.  Says test can't be older that 72 hrs from departure from EWR (2nd leg of flight).  Clicking on the linked info takes you to Iceland rules which say 72 hrs from FIRST leg of flight AND, linked info says Antigen OK.  So United's rules more stringent on both counts than Iceland.  I tried to do a chat with United last night, but no live agent was available  

(this makes quite the difference for us as we could get a test Friday morning instead of Friday night for Monday morning flight from SFO; Otherwise, due to prior commitments, we'll need to test Sunday afternoon the day before our flight...cutting it a bit close)

Update:  FYI only & NOT to be relied upon (as there are still inconsistencies within United's own site, and some ambiguities in Iceland rules regarding which flight starts the 72 hr clock), but I finally got through to United Chat and was told that the 72 hrs starts, and United will check the tests, at the FIRST leg (i.e., SFO for us).  And, antigen test OK as per iceland rules.  I'm still on the fence about whether to rely on the 1st leg 72 hr clock start (far more convenient for us) or wait till last minute - the day before - which are our only choices due to our schedule & location.   Note that another post clearly states  the "clock" starts on your direct flight to Iceland, i.e., which would be our 2nd leg (I think that post is 1737 but my have remembered that wrong)

2 minutes ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Update:  FYI only & NOT to be relied upon (as there are still inconsistencies within United's own site, and some ambiguities in Iceland rules regarding which flight starts the 72 hr clock), but I finally got through to United Chat and was told that the 72 hrs starts, and United will check the tests, at the FIRST leg (i.e., SFO for us).  And, antigen test OK as per iceland rules.  I'm still on the fence about whether to rely on the 1st leg 72 hr clock start (far more convenient for us) or wait till last minute - the day before - which are our only choices due to our schedule & location.   Note that another post clearly states  the "clock" starts on your direct flight to Iceland, i.e., which would be our 2nd leg (I think that post is 1737 but my have remembered that wrong)

From United. It’s very clear. 

2A354624-1B11-46DD-A295-95BDB5D09A8C.png

1 hour ago, Camden lady said:

Well, it is like this...my sister has no computer, no internet, no smart phone and no TV.  I know, she is living in the dark ages but that is the way she wants it.  So far, I have done everything regarding all of our cruises and she just writes a check for her portion.   She does have a cell phone but it is an ancient one that is just basic and she can't do anything but talk on it and most of time it is in her purse turned off.  She has a land line that I call her on when I talk to her.  So I am trying to figure out how to get all this stuff done for her but that portion, I can't figure out.  I can do her registrations with Viking and Iceland but as I will use my cell phone number for her.

I have known many people who went to their local Library and had cruise information taken care of there.  Is there a Library where your sister lives?  I'll bet they would forward the required information to you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

So if 3 in our party depart Tampa at 12:50 pm on Monday, August 30 and have a layover in Minneapolis until 7:30 pm and arrive in Reykjavik at 6:40 am Tuesday, August 31, how/when/where are we supposed to test?  Viking rep told me to have test done Friday, August 27th.  Did he provide correct information?  I have read so many posts and articles which were posted I have become totally confused.  The 4th member of our party will be flying from Las Vegas to Minneapolis to meet us for final flight.

I have been traveling by land, sea and air for over 60 years and have never experienced such confusion as to requirements.  I know these are different times but Viking needs to get together with Iceland and give us the straight facts, just the facts.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

So if 3 in our party depart Tampa at 12:50 pm on Monday, August 30 and have a layover in Minneapolis until 7:30 pm and arrive in Reykjavik at 6:40 am Tuesday, August 31, how/when/where are we supposed to test?  Viking rep told me to have test done Friday, August 27th.  Did he provide correct information?  I have read so many posts and articles which were posted I have become totally confused.  The 4th member of our party will be flying from Las Vegas to Minneapolis to meet us for final flight.

I have been traveling by land, sea and air for over 60 years and have never experienced such confusion as to requirements.  I know these are different times but Viking needs to get together with Iceland and give us the straight facts, just the facts.

The visit.Covid.is site says 72 hours prior to first flight. Your airline may differ

5 hours ago, joepeggy said:

Anyone arrange their own transfer from the airport to the ship and return to airport?

Yes, we used Icelandic Taxi Tours for a private transfer from the airport to our hotel.  There is a shared shuttle but we arrived in the evening and didn't want to wait and transfer shuttles.  We arrived at our hotel about 45 minutes after leaving the airport.  

We had a 5pm flight home and we didn't want to "hang around" killing time so we arranged a private transfer and tour with Back to Iceland Travel.  Left the ship at 9am, we saw a few sights around Reykjavik, visited Perlan then went to the airport at our leisure.  I understand the Viking transfer for folks with later flights also went to Perlan but they left earlier then we did and went only there.  We decided to do this on our own.  Clay recommended BTI Travel on the other thread.  We found Vida delightful to work with and we felt the time and money were well spent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Is your sister sharing the stateroom with you (i.e. on same booking)? If so, include her as your companion in your VeriFly! Simple!

But she'll still need a photo of sister and a photo of sisters vax card.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarbRN said:

Thanks! I agree the initial info provided by United is quite clear (PCR only, no antigen, and 72 hrs from 2nd leg).  So, if that's feasible, that's clearly the safest route.  But, it is confusing to me that United also linked to Iceland's rules in the addtl info section, which are clear that antigen or PCR tests are acceptable and that the 72 hrs is from 1st leg.  It's unusual in my (albeit limited) experience that an airline would have stricter rules than the destination.  I'm wondering if. like Viking, they may allow exceptions more consistent with Iceland's rules.  But, with covid, things change quickly as we all know.

• Thanks 1

I have a question about downloading your vaccination information to Verifly.  On my CDC vaccination card it shows my name and the dates of my 2 Moderna shots on the front of the CDC card.  On my wife's card it shows the first shot information on the front of the card and the second shot information on the back of the card.  If I try to download a photo of her card it will only show one shot unless I can download 2 photos (front and back of the card).  Has anyone else had this situation and is it a potential problem? 

Sadly we are disembarking the Sky soon.  We are leaving the ship Covid 19 free for all you July 24 cruisers.  The cruise exceeded our expectations in every way!  Have fun.  Once home we will have time to read the threads, answer questions and tell our stories.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 7/20/2021 at 11:05 AM, Steve NH said:

Thank you so much for all of your posts along the way! They've helped me with my packing.

You never know though. We are on day 5 of our cruise and have had warm, sunny weather every day!  Not a drop of rain or wind!  Fabulous!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Liz55 said:

You never know though. We are on day 5 of our cruise and have had warm, sunny weather every day!  Not a drop of rain or wind!  Fabulous!

That's fantastic! I hope we are as fortunate. Enjoy your remaining time in Iceland. I can't believe we'll be there in just a few days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carld said:

I have a question about downloading your vaccination information to Verifly.  On my CDC vaccination card it shows my name and the dates of my 2 Moderna shots on the front of the CDC card.  On my wife's card it shows the first shot information on the front of the card and the second shot information on the back of the card.  If I try to download a photo of her card it will only show one shot unless I can download 2 photos (front and back of the card).  Has anyone else had this situation and is it a potential problem? 

I don't really know, but if mine were like that, I would probably take a picture of one side, print out a copy and then copy or photograph the other side on the same page.  The instructions we received from Viking say you can upload PDFs, scans, or take a photo of your card in the app.  It doesn't however, state anything about how to handle cards with data on second side. If your state happens to have a digital registry of vaccines, I'd look that up and print out information just to be on the safe side.  I'm hoping to do download my card today.  If I do, I'll let you know what happens, unless someone posts something in the meantime that answers your question. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BrynMawrPA said:

The following are facts:

1. The VERIFY app is to verify that you and your sister are fully vaccinated. This information is for the Viking Cruises to facilitate your embarkation process. No Airline agent or Iceland KEF officer will look at the VERIFY passes. You should not worry about it if you are truly and fully vaccinated. Viking can take care of the verification at embarkation if you two can get there.

2. The PCR test should be taken within the 72 hours from the departure time of the last direct flight to Iceland. If your JFK flight to KEF is at 12pm Friday. You and your sister should take the test on or after 12pm Tuesday and no sooner. To guarantee that you meet the 72 hours requirement even if your plane is delayed is to TAKE A SECOND PCR test at, let say, 12pm Wednesday and have the lab email the results to you while you are on route to KEF. Please bring something to prove that you and your sister had taken a second test. The proof is for the airline agent and KEF officer. By the way, most places perform the PCR test with no copay.

3. If the names in the test reports are the same as those in your and your sister's passport. You will have no surprises at the JFK airport counter or at KEF immigration.

If the above are in good order, you and your sister should have no problems. Have a great trip.

Thank you so much!!!  That is what I thought so I am going to stop stressing over that detail.

3 hours ago, worldtraveler1234 said:

Trying not to confuse the issue but on our return flight to USA the check in at United was the only place that asked for the required PCR test. Nobody asked for it in USA. I think that it is the airlines responsibility to ensure compliance.  

Correct! They don’t want you getting on a plane back to US if you are Covid positive. 

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes.  I arranged through AirportDirect using their Private Transfer. Very pleased with our driver Walter with whom Airport Direct had subcontracted.  We had five of us in the comfortable van which would seat 8 but would have been uncomfortable with that many. Cost from  ship to KEF worked out to be $42 per person so slightly less than Viking’s transfer. We also got to sleep in an hour longer! 😊

CD69C1B8-3D0D-4E83-B116-C68587B00FB7.jpeg

We used Hreyfill and found them on the KEF website.  Prepaid and it cost about $120 from KEF to hotel in central Reykjavik.  The man was waiting at arrivals and it was worth the peace of mind for us.  I guess it would around the same price to port because we were only a couple of miles away at hotel. They had great communication ahead of time. No need to tip. 

3 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Question for Jupiter travelers: Is there a planetarium on Jupiter?  If so, are there any presentations or visits there?

There is definitely a planetarium on Jupiter. In 2019 we had astronaut Bo Bobko giving talks in the planetarium.  Super cool to hear first hand stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Question for Jupiter travelers: Is there a planetarium on Jupiter?  If so, are there any presentations or visits there?

Jul 13

Yes there is a planetarium on Jupiter. We saw 3 40 minute movies. Register on your stateroom tv. There were about 14 people allowed at our times. 2 of the shows were in 3d. We enjoyed the experience. Actually we liked the 4 minute 3d preshow the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone post the ship shuttle schedule to and from Reykjavik on embarkation day. We have an early morning arrival and believe we will be taken from airport to Harpa Concert Hall to await our 11am embarkation. I would like to walk around the city before heading to ship. Is going in town in the evening an option?  What time do shuttles stop?