LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

BTW, if you have never been on a Viking Ocean ship, look no further than Mamsen’s for breakfast (heart shaped waffles with lingonberries!) , for lunch or snacks ( open faced Danish sandwiches!) , and for a midnight snack— split pea soup. I’m in heaven already anticipating these….

• Like 4

Does anyone have experience with...  what Viking does if we have Viking Air and a tropical storm or hurricane (Henri) causes our flight to be cancelled. We live in Rhode Island and are due to fly out Monday 1pm when the storm is local to us.

23 hours ago, hodges97 said:

I did a chat with Viking before I had my TA cancel my excursions.  I have screen shots of what I was told.  I would suggest that all you guys do the same.  Viking is bound to be frustrated by this situation.  But surely they are not at the point of being desperate?

I cancelled 1 of our pre-paid excursions and the refund was credited back to card within 7 days.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, C-sea said:

Does anyone have experience with...  what Viking does if we have Viking Air and a tropical storm or hurricane (Henri) causes our flight to be cancelled. We live in Rhode Island and are due to fly out Monday 1pm when the storm is local to us.

We’re in RI also, but leaving from Logan at 10:25 p.m. booked through Viking Air. So I’m very interested in anything you might learn.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, C-sea said:

I've never needed it, but Viking gives you an emergency number for travel.  I think it's in the electronic summary of your trip that you should have received by now via email. We cruised a couple weeks ago (Iceland) and were given 877.523.0576 (prefix 1 needed if outside U.S.)  But check to make sure that's the correct number.  If your flight gets cancelled, call immediately for help. If there are alternate airports that may work (assuming you can and are willing to get to them) I'd probably give them that information.  I think Boston, for example, has a nonstop Icelandair flight.  Icelandair isn't a bad airline, despite the fact that it's budget, although you don't get food. And I know Viking books them, as we flew to Iceland on them from DC using Viking Air.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

We are on Sky this week and haven’t heard any announcement about any positive tests.

I believe there have been 2 instances where multiple people from the same bus have been quarantined/went home.  20+ on the Jupiter and 11 on the Sky.  I believe the Jupiter instance was traced back to a bus on the ‘Golden Circle’ tour.  Does anyone know what tour the Sky incident was traced to?   Thanks for any info you can provide 

8 minutes ago, Nickb701 said:

I believe there have been 2 instances where multiple people from the same bus have been quarantined/went home.  20+ on the Jupiter and 11 on the Sky.  I believe the Jupiter instance was traced back to a bus on the ‘Golden Circle’ tour.  Does anyone know what tour the Sky incident was traced to?   Thanks for any info you can provide 

We've used the invaluable information about excursions posted here to adjust our choices....some things we will just have to do another year 🤫

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nickb701 said:

I don't remember any specific tour bus being identified as having the person who tested positive on Sky.  But maybe there was something I missed. If so, it's probably in the "Live" thread.  I would hesitate to make any assumptions or change any plans based on the timing of only a few incidents, but maybe that's just me.  I really enjoyed the longer bus excursions.  If I had things to do over, I'd hate to have given them up.

1 hour ago, Nickb701 said:

If the situation you are talking about with regards to the Viking Sky was the July 10th sailing, I believe no one left the ship until we returned to Reykjavik.  I was on that cruise and one person tested positive on the forth day.  About 11 folks wre contact traced to that person.  The positive person was put in quarantine on the ship.   The 11 folks were quarantined I believe for about a day until that had two negetive tests.   Iceland didn't know quite how to deal with the situation so we basically missed our last three ports. When folks got off to tour, they were called back at two of the final three ports and we skipped the last one.  As far as I know, everyone when home as scheduled except the one positive case and their cabin mate.   That is my best recall of what happened. If anyone heard anything different, jump in and correct me.

As to where the case started, the best guess is that it probably happen on the trip to Iceland, but took four days to show positive.

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kerrfamily said:

Did you get a refund for prepaid excursions? or a voucher for prepaid excursions?

We got vouchers for everything, air, excursions, travel protection plan and cruise for the 2 of us.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, libraryworld said:

We’re in RI also, but leaving from Logan at 10:25 p.m. booked through Viking Air. So I’m very interested in anything you might learn.

We’re on your flight. We come from two others before that. What seat numbers. 

2 hours ago, libraryworld said:

We’re also routed through Boston. 3 leg trip that also has an Atlanta connection. We’re hoping the storm will have cleared the airport by then but are also scheduling a COVID test for Sunday in case we’re delayed a day. Delta usually posts something about options to change if they’re expecting to have to cancel. Viking has been very good in the past about rescheduling people and eventually getting them to the ship. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dcl999 said:

We’re also routed through Boston. 3 leg trip that also has an Atlanta connection. We’re hoping the storm will have cleared the airport by then but are also scheduling a COVID test for Sunday in case we’re delayed a day. Delta usually posts something about options to change if they’re expecting to have to cancel. Viking has been very good in the past about rescheduling people and eventually getting them to the ship. 

We fly Atlanta then Boston too. That storm got us this week in SC. I didn’t know it was an issue in New England. 

5 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

The album is ready, if anyone wants to be reminded why they travel

Truly beautiful images captured here Ethan.  Bravo! and thanks for the memories.  Hope you and Steph are doing well back in real life.  So glad that we made this Iceland trip, and enjoyed the outside the Viking bubble trips with you that we were lucky to be able to take during our week.  Thanks for sharing your album!

15 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

We fly Atlanta then Boston too. That storm got us this week in SC. I didn’t know it was an issue in New England. 

Watched weather. That storm

could reach Boston Sunday. We will

be on ship. 

1 hour ago, oldgeez said:

Pfui!

so much for Heimay today. Too windy and seas too rough for the tenders. 

Yes, too bad we couldn’t get off the ship!  But, did see puffins off-and-on for an hour or so after we left Heimaey.  Flying close to the water some distance off the ship.

• Like 2

We have spoken to Viking about the lack of Verifly information.  They don't seem to have been aware that Verifly had sent the information and they had not received it!..  The travel assistant was going to pass on the information.   We have the pictures and text on the I Pad so we will show that as proof.  J

16 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

We have spoken to Viking about the lack of Verifly information.  They don't seem to have been aware that Verifly had sent the information and they had not received it!..  The travel assistant was going to pass on the information.   We have the pictures and text on the I Pad so we will show that as proof.  J

I think, in actual fact, it makes little difference if you use Verifly or not.  When we checked-in on Sky last Saturday they basically checked everything, and it still only took a few minutes.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

I think, in actual fact, it makes little difference if you use Verifly or not.  When we checked-in on Sky last Saturday they basically checked everything, and it still only took a few minutes.

I spoke with Verifly and they said it was a technical issue on their side that the information was not being transferred to Viking.  I also spoke with Viking and they said it was on them and we had done everything so we were good to go, nothing to do.   Glad I spent that time doing all that and getting my sister's infor out there (which was a chore) just so it didn't go anywhere.  🙂