LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

3 hours ago, BamaT said:

Looks like we're going to cancel our Sep 7 Iceland cruise.  Should we cancel excursions prior to cancelling the cruise?  We know we will get a voucher for the cruise dollars, but not sure how we are reimbursed for the paid-for excursions.  TIA 

I was told they would roll into your cruise voucher if you didn’t cancel them

Thanks, all, for the feedback on cancelling excursions. I cancelled ours today and have until Monday (I think) to cancel the 7 Sep cruise without penalty.

What's the best way to ensure your cruise cancellation goes thru if you aren't using a TA?   (Please, no comments about the benefits of using a TA!)  

7 minutes ago, BamaT said:

Thanks, all, for the feedback on cancelling excursions. I cancelled ours today and have until Monday (I think) to cancel the 7 Sep cruise without penalty.

What's the best way to ensure your cruise cancellation goes thru if you aren't using a TA?   (Please, no comments about the benefits of using a TA!)  

Call Viking directly.

• Like 1

Viking's confirmation to me indicates that we will get a refund to our credit card for excursions, gratuities, and transfers. No refund for travel protection plan premium. It appears that we must file a claim with TripMate for the voucher (should equal the cancellation penalty, which is now 100% of the cruise far). But we are invoking their normal cancellation policy as we are already past the 14-day deadline for the no-risk guarantee.

For the no-risk guarantee (that's the one we rescinded), we got vouchers from Viking that included the full amount we had paid to them including excursions, gratuities, travel protection premium, etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BamaT said:

I did ours this morning. I was told to send an email to vcmail@viking.com prior to 14 days before our cruise that included: 

our names, booking #, reason for canceling, & that we were willing to accept risk free vouchers. I received a reply email from Viking stating that I would get a response within 72 hrs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

Oops- sorry about that

Nothing to be sorry about! It's the reality for everyone who's booked a cruise and is considering whether to travel. (My wife and I just canceled a September cruise for Malta, Croatia, and Montenegro.)

• Like 2

Just now, DaveSJ711 said:

Nothing to be sorry about! It's the reality for everyone who's booked a cruise and is considering whether to travel. (My wife and I just canceled a September cruise for Malta, Croatia, and Montenegro.)

I was so excited to finally be taking a vacation that we have scheduled an Alaska cruise to take Iceland’s place in September. It’s our ‘go to’ vacation as we’ve been many times & know all of the ports. Ordered the ‘drink pkg & wi-fi- with a balcony to sit back & soak up the cool air & beautiful scenery. Getting excited all over again

4 minutes ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

I was so excited to finally be taking a vacation that we have scheduled an Alaska cruise to take Iceland’s place in September. It’s our ‘go to’ vacation as we’ve been many times & know all of the ports. Ordered the ‘drink pkg & wi-fi- with a balcony to sit back & soak up the cool air & beautiful scenery. Getting excited all over again

Have a stress-free and enjoyable cruise!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ballerina Sweetie Pie said:

You'll have a great time! I lived for 10 years in Alaska and know the state very, very well.

Just now, DaveSJ711 said:

You'll have a great time! I lived for 10 years in Alaska and know the state very, very well.

We’ve been at least 15 times- usually on fishing trips but cruising is so much easier. I really don’t even care if we get off the boat- just getting away is enough. Even if I had to quarantine there- just give me a window that opens 😜

Correction: Just heard from Viking that under their normal cancellation policy, payments for transfers are non-refundable as is true of payments for travel protection plan. Gratuities and excursions are refundable in cash or credit card.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tmccaleb said:

Correction: Just heard from Viking that under their normal cancellation policy, payments for transfers are non-refundable as is true of payments for travel protection plan. Gratuities and excursions are refundable in cash or credit card.

Do I understand you correctly?  Are you not getting anything back - refunds or vouchers - except what you paid for excursions and gratuities?  If so, I'm really sorry to hear that.

We’re sticking with our August 24th cruise. Yes conditions have changed since we booked. We’ll be wearing our kn95 masks as much as possible. We’re approaching this as a hope for the best and a guide to future land vs cruise vs on our own travel decisions. We are both retired, our bucket list is long and we’re not getting younger. We’re vaccinated with Moderna and under 80 so we not likely to end up dead or in the hospital. 
Hopefully all our fellow cruisers will take the necessary precautions and be able to enjoy themselves on a wonderful Viking cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

Viking provides two 100 ml bottles of “desderman pure”, made by Schulke & Mayr GmbH, Nordersted, Germany.  The liquid is clear.  The label says it contains ethanol and biphenol-2-ol.  It does not list aloe. It is completely different than what we get at home (Chicago);  Purell that we buy contains aloe and is in gell form;  this is liquid.  The sanitizer stations around the ship spray a fine mist, that also appears to be a clear liquid.

Hope that helps.

Very much so. I’m one of the few people allergic to aloe. 

• Like 1

We are also sticking to our reservation for August 24 sailing.  We are also hopeful that all will be well.  We will deal with whatever comes.  We are so looking forward to getting back into traveling and the cruise was perfect for us.  We did Into the Midnight Sun several years ago and loved it.  We have used Oceana but now only Viking.  No contest.

Hope to see everyone's smiling faces...oops, smiling eyes at the airport in Iceland.

PS Viking just put out an upgrade offer for this cruise you may want to check out.  We upgraded our cabin today.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, JM0115 said:

We got on board around 11am.  I was also concerned that we would have an issue booking the spa (thermal suite) and went there right after the muster. Had no issues getting what I wanted.  Later on during the journey I could not get the thermal suite for extra bookings, but we were on the Sky that had the missing ports which made it more crowded as we had extra "sea" days. We had no issues getting extra Chef's Table reservations but did not get the exact times we wanted.  

@Bookworm114I tend to worry too much about these things too, but need to learn to relax more 🙂. When we were on board the Viking app kept crashing and was not really useful for making reservations at the restaurants. Hopefully this is fixed now.  Have a wonderful cruise!

Just what I needed to hear. Thanks!