LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, Rappersmom said:

I just went to the CDC site for COVID-19 and cruise ship travel, which was updated Aug. 20. I couldn't find that. If the senior is at increased risk in the case of infection, yes. But it doesn't make that blanket statement. Could you provide your source? Because CDC considers anyone over the age of 50 a senior and that would effectively shut down the cruise industry again. 

I also went to the CDC website and, while not clear, the CDC implies that older folk should not cruise.  In the page on crusing, there is a link for those at risk of severe illness.  If you click on that link it takes you to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/index.html

This page lists older adults as being at risk.  I must emphasize that the CDC is being vague on this.

24 minutes ago, marea said:

We were on the Sky Aug 7 and had to skip Heimeay due to rough waters.  When we arrived in Reykjavik an announcement was made that a night time bus excursion to see the city was being offered but otherwise we were not allowed off the ship.  

Can someone tell me about arrival bubble

if we have Viking transfers can we leave Harp center before we sign into boat

34 minutes ago, marea said:

We were on the Sky Aug 7 and had to skip Heimeay due to rough waters.  When we arrived in Reykjavik an announcement was made that a night time bus excursion to see the city was being offered but otherwise we were not allowed off the ship.  

Thank you for the response.

Jack

• Like 1

It seems odd that passengers with Viking transfers are confined but those who book independently can wander around Iceland for hours or days and then mingle with everyone else. Is Viking following any different protocol for the independent travelers? 

1 hour ago, sinsonte said:

I also went to the CDC website and, while not clear, the CDC implies that older folk should not cruise.  In the page on crusing, there is a link for those at risk of severe illness.  If you click on that link it takes you to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/index.html

This page lists older adults as being at risk.  I must emphasize that the CDC is being vague on this.

Yes that's exactly what I did and read. It is extremely vague. And it also says that the at risk because of age increases with age. Not definitive enough to make a strong statement. Still allows for jugment.

36 minutes ago, Rappersmom said:

Yes that's exactly what I did and read. It is extremely vague. And it also says that the at risk because of age increases with age. Not definitive enough to make a strong statement. Still allows for jugment.

I think this is article saying the same thing the CDC has been saying for the past 18 months.  Older people are most at risk.  That’s why states vaccinated seniors first.  I think folks who booked the Welcome Back cruises did so with full knowledge.  Use good judgement, wash your hands, and wear a mask.  Safe travels.

39 minutes ago, Rappersmom said:

Unless you barricade yourself in your house and never go out there is always a small chance you could get exposed to Covid but if you have been vaccinated and wear a mask whenever you are out, the risk is small and even if you get Covid, the odds are it will be a mild case.  Especially if you are in good physical health.  Some of us are getting older, (into our 70's and above) and despite what we would like to believe, eventually we will be simply unable to travel the world.   Covid might be here for many years and we have to decide how much risk is worth it to see what we can in the years we have left.  There is risk if you stay home (actually probably more in the US than many foreign countries) and risk when you travel.  From what I read, Viking is doing a pretty good job of keeping the risk low.  I am pretty skeptical about any reports from our government about covid and their report that Iceland is a code red country.  I think Iceland is a lot safer than the US as far as being exposed to covid.  The US is in a crises with overfull hospitals while Iceland has very few hospitalizations for covid. 

• Like 4

My wife and I were disappointed when our cruise to Australia/New Zealand 1/22 got cancelled. We transferred our booking to 1/23 and look forward to it with Covid being manageable by then.  Friends recently completed the Bermuda cruise and are now on the Greek cruise from Malta.  They have been reassuring us though Iceland has another set of rules.   Iceland seemed to us to be the perfect way to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

I love this site when folks give information about the cruise.  Especially helpful are those who are on board or recently completed a cruise.  Specific information like knowing that Viking offers a night tour of the capital if the last port is missed is the info we need.  Hints about the puffins, etc. are fun to read.  Speculation about Covid, policies, Viking solvency (for heaven's sake) are boring and boorish.  We can all contact Viking and visit official health sites for the latest updates.  

For those of us going on this cruise (no doubt several hundred) we have weighed the risks and will act accordingly. Thanks to all who give us hints, ideas, things to do, things to avoid on the cruise.  That is what I always loved about this site.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, carld said:

The US is in a crises with overfull hospitals while Iceland has very few hospitalizations for covid. 

Actually Iceland has just 16 ICU beds and  there are reports that The hospital system is reaching the tipping point 

a group of Israelis were flown out to Israel on a medical flight to free up ICU & hospital beds. 

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2021/08/17/astandid-skanar-ekki-naestu-tvaer-vikur

• Like 1

• In order to ensure quality guides and sufficient transportation, we must provide the tour operator with guest counts at least two days in advance. Therefore, no refunds will be given within two days of any shore excursion.
  • Tours require minimum participation levels to operate so please sign up as early as possible.
  • Tours operate rain or shine.
  • Online booking and cancellations will close seven days before your cruise sets sail.
  • During this seven-day pre-sail period, you can cancel items by calling us.
  • Once you arrive on board, you will have the ability to manage your shore excursions again, with one exception—all shore excursions that occur during the first two days of sailing will be non-refundable.
  • Please note, whether an optional tour is booked through My Viking Journey or on board, refunds are only processed on board and will be applied as a credit toward your shipboard account balance. Should you have a negative balance at the end of your voyage, the refund toward your credit card will be processed on board. Please allow 14 business days for this to reflect on your statement.

this is pulled from the My Journey frequent questions and answers. I think we all prebooked and paid for excursions thinking this was Viking’s policy.  

Edited by Kerrfamily

Given all the discussion about COVID, cruise cancellations and excursion cancellations, I'm not sure whether there's much interest in discussing actual cruise ship amenities but I'll ask anyway in case someone knows the answer.  We'll be on the Viking Sky departing August 28th.  Apparently the main swimming pool becomes an indoor swimming pool when covered by the retractable roof.  Does anyone know whether either the hot tubs or main swimming pool were available for use during the July or August sailings?

46 minutes ago, travelordie said:

Given all the discussion about COVID, cruise cancellations and excursion cancellations, I'm not sure whether there's much interest in discussing actual cruise ship amenities but I'll ask anyway in case someone knows the answer.  We'll be on the Viking Sky departing August 28th.  Apparently the main swimming pool becomes an indoor swimming pool when covered by the retractable roof.  Does anyone know whether either the hot tubs or main swimming pool were available for use during the July or August sailings?

They were on Sky on July 10th sailing.The roof was generally closed but  on sunny days they cracked the roof over the main pool to keep it a nice temperature inside   I believe the indoor hot tub was open but it and the outdoor one had a capacity limit.  The infinity pool was open also. It was a nice temperature I’m told but getting out was definitely nippy based on the reactions of folks I saw trying to get to their robes in a hurry. 

50 minutes ago, travelordie said:

We were on the July 17 Viking Sky cruise and the magrodome was open on at least one day. The pool and hot tubs were available for use, I believe, every day.

1 hour ago, travelordie said:

Does anyone know whether either the hot tubs or main swimming pool were available for use during the July or August sailings?

All pools/tubs were available Aug. 3 - 10.  Here are swimmers in the infinity pool around dinner time (Seydisfjordur). They said it was warm in there.   I didn't pay much attention to the main pool, so I don't know how often the retractable roof was retracted or not. 

2012981803_deletelater-dupe.thumb.jpg.4d54476a8bc5f91d35842a1d6d2aec78.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
Infinity pool, in Seydisfjordur. All pools/tubs were open Aug. 3-10

29 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

All pools/tubs were available Aug. 3 - 10.  Here are swimmers in the infinity pool around dinner time (Seydisfjordur). They said it was warm in there.   I didn't pay much attention to the main pool, so I don't know how often the retractable roof was retracted or not. 

2012981803_deletelater-dupe.thumb.jpg.4d54476a8bc5f91d35842a1d6d2aec78.jpg

We did the July 20 Jupiter cruise.  All the pools were open but the capacity limits were IIRC, 4 to a pool, 2 to a hot tub.  So the 2 people in the Infinity pool picture were 1/2 of the capacity limit.

2 hours ago, travelordie said:

We used the outdoor pool and jacuzzi on our July 23rd cruise 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, susanlik said:

Can someone tell me about arrival bubble

if we have Viking transfers can we leave Harp center before we sign into boat

No based on what our friends told us.  We were traveling and arriving independently.  Once you are on the Viking transfer you are in the Bubble.  Of course things could change.

• Like 1

I find it ironic that the CDC is warning people from the US not to travel to Level 4 countries and yet the US is a Level 4 country.  Daily percentages of new Covid cases is much lower in Iceland than  US and number of people completely vaccinated is higher in Iceland..  And Iceland's numbers are going down rather than up (ours hasn't peaked yet).  Of the states, Louisiana (where I live) is ranked 7th for the number of new Covid cases.  It is ranked 47th for the number of people vaccinated.  Where do you think I'm more worried about catching Covid?  As for being quarantined - I'll take my chances - bringing a couple extra books just in case.

Edited by map70065
addition
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Kerrfamily said:

• In order to ensure quality guides and sufficient transportation, we must provide the tour operator with guest counts at least two days in advance. Therefore, no refunds will be given within two days of any shore excursion.
  • Tours require minimum participation levels to operate so please sign up as early as possible.
  • Tours operate rain or shine.
  • Online booking and cancellations will close seven days before your cruise sets sail.
  • During this seven-day pre-sail period, you can cancel items by calling us.
  • Once you arrive on board, you will have the ability to manage your shore excursions again, with one exception—all shore excursions that occur during the first two days of sailing will be non-refundable.
  • Please note, whether an optional tour is booked through My Viking Journey or on board, refunds are only processed on board and will be applied as a credit toward your shipboard account balance. Should you have a negative balance at the end of your voyage, the refund toward your credit card will be processed on board. Please allow 14 business days for this to reflect on your statement.

this is pulled from the My Journey frequent questions and answers. I think we all prebooked and paid for excursions thinking this was Viking’s policy.  

Since our Jupiter July 20th sailing missed the last port due to weather, I actually had a credit at the end of our cruise since our optional excursion didn’t take place.  I paid for it with a credit card and didn’t see the credit after 14 days.  I called to inquire and I was told they were sending a check.  I received it about a week later.

14 hours ago, travelordie said:

On Viking Jupiter right now. Both are open. I’ve seen little activity but it’s there! Also, we are having a wonderful cruise! First time on Viking… won’t be my last!

• Like 6

Arrived yesterday in Iceland. Transfers were smooth but there’s a lot to do and I was so exhausted from being awake 24 hours I just wanted to get on my room. We finally got to the ship and they had lunch for us and then you have to do the muster information. I thought it would never end and at 1 o’clock we finally got in our room. It wasn’t is nice of an arrival as the river cruises where people are lined up to help you do your room etc. but the ship is absolutely gorgeous.  You can walk around and look at artifacts and design for hours. Every single person you walk by that works here is accommodating and friendly and it’s immaculate. The food and service is beyond the best. We canceled some of the excursions because of the bus situation but most people have been gone all morning other than us that I know of. We are going to do a walking to tour tomorrow. It’s very chilly and rainy and overcast for two days about 50°F. The pools and hot tubs are open but nobody’s using them right now. I’m going to take this time to recover and renew from the trip getting here and get a massage today. My husband is having some health problems not related to Covid of course so we’re just chilling out and eating well. 

Edited by BarbRN
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, JenAussieLover said:

On Viking Jupiter right now. Both are open. I’ve seen little activity but it’s there! Also, we are having a wonderful cruise! First time on Viking… won’t be my last!

Awesome

Nice to here good news

How is weather?

29 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

Arrived yesterday in Iceland. Transfers were smooth but there’s a lot to do and I was so exhausted from being awake 24 hours I just wanted to get on my room. We finally got to the ship and they had lunch for us and then you have to do the muster information. I thought it would never end and at 1 o’clock we finally got in our room. It wasn’t is nice of an arrival as the river cruises where people are lined up to help you do your room etc. but the ship is absolutely gorgeous.  You can walk around and look at artifacts and design for hours. Every single person you walk by that works here is accommodating and friendly and it’s immaculate. The food and service is beyond the best. We canceled some of the excursions because of the bus situation but most people have been gone all morning other than us that I know of. We are going to do a walking to tour tomorrow. It’s very chilly and rainy and overcast for two days about 50°F. The pools and hot tubs are open but nobody’s using them right now. I’m going to take this time to recover and renew from the trip getting here and get a massage today. My husband is having some health problems not related to Covid of course so we’re just chilling out and eating well. 

Do you how many people Viking is putting on their buses 

And weather whole bus would be quarenteened if a positive or just close to that person