Earth & Ocean

Hobar

33 minutes ago, Hobar said:

What’s the difference between Earth & Ocean on Ovation & Encore, and The Patio Grille on the O class ships?

They are the same.  Earth & Ocean rolled out to all of the ships and is the evening option on the patio.  During the day it’s the Patio Grille.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jenidallas said:

They are the same.  Earth & Ocean rolled out to all of the ships and is the evening option on the patio.  During the day it’s the Patio Grille.

I always get a chuckle out of Earth & Ocean as it sounds so majestic.  But then remembering this is simply the Patio Grille where I can grab a piece of pizza or ice cream as I pass the pool area.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neverlookback said:

I always get a chuckle out of Earth & Ocean as it sounds so majestic.  But then remembering this is simply the Patio Grille where I can grab a piece of pizza or ice cream as I pass the pool area.

But we found the Earth and Ocean offerings to be unique among the ship's cuisine and quite delicious.  I have to admit that I have never had a piece of pizza or ice cream on a SB ship!  Isn't it great that we can go on the same ship and have a different experience from one another?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Earth and Ocean is not remotely like the Patio Grill.

It’s been around for at least 2 years. It is a subdued poolside restaurant with carefully spaced tables lit by candles, a rotating Mediterranean themed fixed menu - so not a barbecue - that changes each night. Staff wear E&O uniforms, the environment is far more calm than the Patio Grill.

We look forward to joining in 10 days or so, and will make sure we get to E&O early enough to get a table.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And Earth and Ocean only operates in the evening.  The Patio Grille is shut down at that time.  It has a very relaxed quiet atmosphere which we enjoy as it gives you a totally different experience from the MDR or the Collonade.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jenidallas said:

So they basically gave a new name to the same formula.  We typically opt for the outdoor, more casual option whenever the weather permits.   Even more casual than the outside of the Colonnade.    

13 hours ago, markham said:

Earth and Ocean is not remotely like the Patio Grill.

It’s been around for at least 2 years. It is a subdued poolside restaurant with carefully spaced tables lit by candles, a rotating Mediterranean themed fixed menu - so not a barbecue - that changes each night. Staff wear E&O uniforms, the environment is far more calm than the Patio Grill.

We look forward to joining in 10 days or so, and will make sure we get to E&O early enough to get a table.

But I have not yet been on the newer/larger ships, so very excited that my upcoming Sojourn switched to Ovation.  

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

So they basically gave a new name to the same formula.  We typically opt for the outdoor, more casual option whenever the weather permits.   Even more casual than the outside of the Colonnade.    

I do think it is a different formula.  We've found the menu to be very innovative and quite delicious.  I think you will just have to try it to understand.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember talking to Tony Egger who is culinary advisor at Seabourn about E&O before its inception and his vision for it.

Tony is great Chef and his idea has been well received by Seabourn guests.

As Markham says get there early to get a table as its popular.

• Thanks 1

BTW, E&O is on all 5 Seabourn ships, not only Encore and Ovation. For at least 2 years.

Yes, and as mentioned above, you may need to see it to appreciate the change the concept brings to the brand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

Yes, and as mentioned above, you may need to see it to appreciate the change the concept brings to the brand.m

100% second this. I was never a fan of the Patio Grill at dinner - I found the food boring and uninspired.  Earth & Ocean is an entirely new reimagining of what al fresco casual hut elegant dining can look like.  It feels contemporary, not stale, and is on point with current culinary trends (the smoking box starter, for example).

11 hours ago, jenidallas said:

100% second this. I was never a fan of the Patio Grill at dinner - I found the food boring and uninspired.  Earth & Ocean is an entirely new reimagining of what al fresco casual hut elegant dining can look like.  It feels contemporary, not stale, and is on point with current culinary trends (the smoking box starter, for example).

I must say, I was never bored and never found the selection at the Grill boring, but then again, I am a creature of habit.  I did love being outside and it being not as fussy as The Restaurant.  Interesting to read the various comments of some saying same and others saying different.  Either way, I look forward to trying, and even more excited to be on the Ovation. But I know, after nearly 20 years of sailing SB, I won’t be disappointed.  Thank you for your response.  I must see what that “smoking box starter” is. 🙂 

Edited by Hobar

On 6/21/2021 at 8:27 PM, jenidallas said:

That’s what our friends who’ve been on Ovation and Encore just told us.  I’m glad.