Cheers buy on board or not?

helene109

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

My wife just volunteered to take one for the team and spend any and all OBC that might be left on the last night on jewelry...

That is a wonderful wife you have there! My wife will make sure there is no left over.

On 6/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, SNJCruisers said:

That's the best joke I have heard in a very long time.  Just to educate you, there are also RU1, RU3 and RU9 codes.  The 1-2-3 were target marketing by some algorithm that they use to entice those who don't usually buy Cheers to get it at a reduced rate.  The RU1 was the cheapest followed by the RU 2 & 3.  The RU9 was a joke because you needed an OV or above cabin and no savings was really involved.

Feel grateful you received the RU2 code.  Many posters have been boasting about it for months on these boards while others like myself were not a lucky recipient of the code.  The algorithm frowned on us.

Thank you so much for the education. I'm so sorry you were left out on the RU2 offer. 

Twenty minutes ago I received an email offer from Carnival (Cheers) for new bookings.

I scrolled down and saw the RU2 code!  Then, upon closer inspection, it was an offer for my son (I used my email address for him from years back, when he was in his mid-teens). I scrolled down further, and there was the email that was for ME:  RU9...

The thing is, my son barely drinks - might have a couple drinks "just to try something new" on a cruise. So, I guess they're targeting people who have never run much of a bar tab!

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Twenty minutes ago I received an email offer from Carnival (Cheers) for new bookings.

I scrolled down and saw the RU2 code!  Then, upon closer inspection, it was an offer for my son (I used my email address for him from years back, when he was in his mid-teens). I scrolled down further, and there was the email that was for ME:  RU9...

The thing is, my son barely drinks - might have a couple drinks "just to try something new" on a cruise. So, I guess they're targeting people who have never run much of a bar tab!

Tom

Yup, that is exactly what they are doing!

• Like 1

How do you use the RU2 code? I have it in my offers but is that able to applied when simply purchasing cheers for a cruise I booked last week? Or do you have to use that code when booking the cruise itself with Cheers at the same time? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

How do you use the RU2 code? I have it in my offers but is that able to applied when simply purchasing cheers for a cruise I booked last week? Or do you have to use that code when booking the cruise itself with Cheers at the same time? 

Have to use it while booking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You book the cruise using the code.

You can try calling Carnival to see if they can apply the code to your recently booked cruise, or if you have a TA call/email them.  I won't guarantee it will work, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 5:40 PM, helene109 said:

We will do specialty dining too

yes I have a few Allstate cards too.

just wish I knew exactly the price on board.

From the Carnival FAQ page. "On cruises of three and four days, the cost is $54.95 per person, per day if purchased pre-cruise and $59.95 per person, per day if purchased onboard your cruise ship. On sailings of five days or longer, the price is $51.95 per person, per day, when purchased in advance and $56.95 per person, per day, if purchased onboard your cruise ship."  Either way the 18% gratuity is additional.  You save at least $10 perday (if two are purchasing) by buying ahead of time

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, simplelife said:

From the Carnival FAQ page. "On cruises of three and four days, the cost is $54.95 per person, per day if purchased pre-cruise and $59.95 per person, per day if purchased onboard your cruise ship. On sailings of five days or longer, the price is $51.95 per person, per day, when purchased in advance and $56.95 per person, per day, if purchased onboard your cruise ship."  Either way the 18% gratuity is additional.  You save at least $10 perday (if two are purchasing) by buying ahead of time

Thank you! Tough decision!

You can also purchase Cheers on Day 2, and only pay for the remaining days. That would save you approximately the same amount as buying it in advance. You can bring one bottle of wine per person when boarding, so if that will hold you, just buy it early in the morning on Day 2 using OBC. Just pay out of the OBC for any Fun Ship drinks you MUST have on day 1.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm getting my lines mixed up - but with Carnival, is there a corkage fee for the bottles you bring onboard (paid at check-in, or at dinner), or is there no fee if consumed in your cabin?

Tom

Tom, don't quote me on this but IIRC, the bottles of wine you bring onboard can be consumed in your room with no corkage fee involved.  HOWEVER, if you bring one of those bottles to dinner, THEN you can be charged a corkage fee of $15. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. lol

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

Tom, don't quote me on this but IIRC, the bottles of wine you bring onboard can be consumed in your room with no corkage fee involved.  HOWEVER, if you bring one of those bottles to dinner, THEN you can be charged a corkage fee of $15. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. lol

I believe you are correct, but I'm not sure if the corkage fee is $15 or $20 per bottle in the MDR. We just brought our wineglasses with us, with a very generous pour to the dining room. 

5 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I believe you are correct, but I'm not sure if the corkage fee is $15 or $20 per bottle in the MDR. We just brought our wineglasses with us, with a very generous pour to the dining room. 

I wonder if Bubba wine glasses are available.  😄

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For my mom's 90th Birthday Family Cruise, my sister made all of us large plastic stem-less wine glasses, with our names on it. It was nice to have to carry around the ship with our beverages, not have to worry about breaking it, etc. 

I am looking to book a cruise and I have the RU1 option available and wondering how it works regarding the gratuities. I priced out the cruise that I was looking at using the RU1 option vs not using it and it was only a $150 difference which is a huge savings. However, once I got to thinking about it I started wondering about the gratuities and how they are paid and if it was included. Anyone know?

If no one knows I can always call The Fun Shops on Tuesday.

Thanks 🙂

Just now, Mandar13077 said:

I am looking to book a cruise and I have the RU1 option available and wondering how it works regarding the gratuities. I priced out the cruise that I was looking at using the RU1 option vs not using it and it was only a $150 difference which is a huge savings. However, once I got to thinking about it I started wondering about the gratuities and how they are paid and if it was included. Anyone know?

Thanks 🙂

Jealous! All I ever get is RU9. However, I’m not completely sure how it works, but I believe the cost of Cheers at your reduced rate plus the cost of gratuities is included in the final price of the booking. I could be so wrong right now so take it with a grain of salt. I literally just thought an 1hr 15min meant 15min, so, there’s that. 

2 hours ago, Mandar13077 said:

Thanks 🙂

You won the Cheers lottery.  Consolation prizes are RU2 & RU3.

The Booby prize is RU9.

Thanks everyone 🙂 I have been getting e-mails about Cheers being included, but never really considered it. After the year of 2020, now I want to treat myself to some alcohol. 🤣

P.S. The only reason I am considering it is cause of all the credit that I have from my last cancelled cruise.

• Like 1