Silver Spirits Drinks Package

luv2cruzuk

26 minutes ago, zelker said:

Not a Silver Spirits package question but does anyone know what brand of VODKA they provide in the minifridges? 

Also, assume we can request that they restock it only with vodka since that's all we'll drink?

Thx.

Don’t know the brand, but yes, you can request what type of alcohol you want restocked. At least that was the case in our PV room. We asked for just vodka and gin. Next time I think we may ask to switch to wine.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zelker said:

Not a Silver Spirits package question but does anyone know what brand of VODKA they provide in the minifridges? 

Also, assume we can request that they restock it only with vodka since that's all we'll drink?

Thx.

I found some photos from a Viking Sky ship tour that shows the mini-bar.  Vodka was Smirnoff, Rum was Bacardi, and gin was Beefeater.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Vodka is watered down ethanol. Period. There is no perceptible difference from one brand to the next. And yes, your room steward will stock to your wishes within available items, as has been pointed out here many times.

Many would disagree.

• Like 3

"Some vodkas are distilled in such a way that the flavour of the raw material completely disappears. But the tendency in Poland and the Nordic countries is to preserve some of the taste produced by the raw material.

It takes a very experienced vodka drinker, however, to identify the flavour of rye, wheat, potato etc."

"In principle a clear "white" spirit can be distilled from anything that ferments. It is reported that coal was used in communist Poland, but that efforts to use chickens were unsuccessful. A by-product of the wood-pulp industry was once used in Sweden."

Above are excerpts from a Q & A on "EU vodka arguments" from the BBC.

Who Knew ?  Rather glad that the "chicken" experiment was unsuccessful.  Although in a past life I may have tasted the prototype.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although in the US, according to FDA standards of identity: ‘‘Vodka’’ is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

16 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Although in the US, according to FDA standards of identity: ‘‘Vodka’’ is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

Maybe, but the US is not famed for its vodka. Russia, Poland, Estonia, Hungary and their neighbours on the other hand . . . . . . 

56 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

"Some vodkas are distilled in such a way that the flavour of the raw material completely disappears. But the tendency in Poland and the Nordic countries is to preserve some of the taste produced by the raw material.

It takes a very experienced vodka drinker, however, to identify the flavour of rye, wheat, potato etc."

"In principle a clear "white" spirit can be distilled from anything that ferments. It is reported that coal was used in communist Poland, but that efforts to use chickens were unsuccessful. A by-product of the wood-pulp industry was once used in Sweden."

Above are excerpts from a Q & A on "EU vodka arguments" from the BBC.

Who Knew ?  Rather glad that the "chicken" experiment was unsuccessful.  Although in a past life I may have tasted the prototype.

You've found something that doesn't taste of chicken? Heresy! 

The TOGmeister will be turning over in his grave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Apparently Grey Goose is the top selling Vodka in the US - marketed and consumed by the "aspirational".  Must speak severely to my son who swears by the stuff.

Probably meant to appeal to the same people who ask for single malts 'on the rocks'. 

I'm sure your son will grow out of it, regardless of his age now 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, duquephart said:

The only difference between Grey Goose and the cheapest vodka on the shelf is marketing BS. Do a blind taste test ----- your son will fail miserably

We are utilising things called 'humour' and 'irony' to engage in 'banter'.

None of us are bothered which brand of anything anyone prefers, each to their own. Our aim is to find out which of what is available when the sun is over the yardarm

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

None of us are bothered which brand of anything anyone prefers, each to their own. Our aim is to find out which of what is available when the sun is over the yardarm

Which has already been accomplished.

27 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Somebody pass me a large glass of ethanol and water (obviously the cheapest brand) and I will toast the god of lost causes.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Somebody pass me a large glass of ethanol and water (obviously the cheapest brand) and I will toast the god of lost causes.

With you on that. I've got a bottle of Aldi's finest (long story, don't ask) if you want to share it

17 minutes ago, duquephart said:

You'd be much better off with some good Kentucky rye. Or an aged Barbados rum. Or -----

I repent. Lovely to see a light hearted reply. I bet face to face you are good company.  May see you onboard sometime for an included drink as I recall you are not a fan of the silver spirits package which, after all, is the subject of this thread.

• Like 4