Transfer from Airport to Port--how flexible is time?

CalTexCruiser

I'm staying overnight at a hotel at the Athens airport - this hotel is literally right across the street from the airport exit (we arrive the evening before our cruise).

We are thinking of booking a Celebrity transfer from the airport to the port.  Are we locked in on a time, or is it flexible?  I assume there are multiple transfers per day on embarkation day.  

The reason we are asking about flexibility is that we don't know what our check-in time is until check-in.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

We have only done a airport to port transfer once.  We supplied our flight information when we booked the transfer and when we got our luggage we were directed to a bus.  We waited on the bus about 25 minutes as a few more joined.  Some waited on the bus about a hour.  So it didn’t appear that the bus ran on a fixed schedule other than having a bus there when a group of passengers arrived.

We did 1 Celebrity transfer from a hotel to the port in Rome.  We had a set pick up time ( not one we chose) the bus picked up from 4 hotels, then went to the port.

A little googling showed that you can pre book a taxi from the airport ( or probably your hotel) for about $53 for 2.  You don’t pay until you get to the port.

There is also a direct bus to Piraeus which is about 8€.

Personally, we would book the taxi and select a time that coincides with are port check-in time.  Could also be less expensive than a Celebrity transfer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

A little googling showed that you can pre book a taxi from the airport ( or probably your hotel) for about $53 for 2.  You don’t pay until you get to the port.

There is also a direct bus to Piraeus which is about 8€.

Personally, we would book the taxi and select a time that coincides with are port check-in time.  Could also be less expensive than a Celebrity transfer.

Normally I would book a taxi but I read somewhere that taxi rides in Athens are considered life-altering events...maybe that's more urban myth than fact

So for a few dollars more I'd consider the Celebrity transfer ($39 pp), but maybe my fears are misplaced.

A life altering event is a taxi in India😂.

We haven’t been to Athens on awhile but will be ending a cruise there next year.  I will most likely find another couple of 2 heading from the port to the airport and book transportation for us. 
Have you asked others on your Roll Call how they are getting to the port? There maybe others you could share transportation with.

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

I may be wrong..I am not sure you can book transfer from airport to ship without first purchasing air from celebrity..

You are correct.  I tried to book transfers from the airport to the pier but was denied as I did not book my airfare from Celebrity.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and received the same answer.  They were firm on that policy.  However, I can book a transfer from the ship to the airport while on board.

• Like 2

Yes, a local taxi can be ‘colorful’ at times, and it’s best to book one prior using one of the online services or check on the CC Europe/Athens forum for recommendations. 

I did a taxi I picked up off the street downtown  and the guy tried to rip us off big time. Not a thing to do. And it’s a good distance from the airport to the port, 28mi+ and takes about  50min+.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Hi, 

This may vary by departure port. I am booked on the Celebrity Summit's cruise that departs from St. Maarten on July 10. I booked my own air, but I was allowed to book Celebrity transfers before and after the cruise. I provided Celebrity with my flight information. My pre-cruise documentation includes tickets for the transfers before and after the cruise.

Chuck

On 6/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, keesar said:

You are correct.  I tried to book transfers from the airport to the pier but was denied as I did not book my airfare from Celebrity.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and received the same answer.  They were firm on that policy.  However, I can book a transfer from the ship to the airport while on board.

You can book your air independently and use X transfers but your flight needs to meet certain parameters (usually same-day arrival by a specified cut-off time).  If your flight is outside of parameters, you cannot book transfers... however - sometimes X does offer an "airport pick up" option that does not require flight details - probably in 20% or less of ports though, and tends to be major homeports like FLL.

We did a City Stay in Sydney prior to a Celebrity cruise. We booked our own flights and flew in 3 days prior to the start of the City Stay, and Celebrity still provided the transfer to our hotel - not even the same hotel for the City Stay. While this is a stretch from the OP question, they are flexible on transfers in some situations. I was amazed that they would do this.