Civitavecchia to Rome by express train

little britain

If having a seat is more important than the amount of time you have in Rome this is a viable option. 

Note the first departure time Monday-Saturday, at 9:35 arriving to San Pietro at 10:15 and Termini at 10:30.  For most ships which arrive at 6 or 7 AM, this means giving up at least an hour in Rome vs. taking the regular, overcrowded commuter train.  It becomes a tradeoff of time in Rome vs. comfort.

The returns are better timed for cruise passengers, I might be tempted to pay for the round trip express ticket but not use the front half (take the regular train in and pay for that), to maximize my time in Rome but have sure seat on the way back, when I'll be tired.

Euro expressed much of my own attitude towards these express trains.  The reality is that although the train ride might be 10-15 minutes shorter then most of the regular trains, the timing of those express trains actually results in passengers losing more then an hour (in some cases it could be several hours) in Rome.  For example, DW and I have often made the 7:58am regional train that gets us into Rome Termini at 9:18....which is more then an hour before the first express train reaches the same station.  Even the later 8:48 train would get us to Rome by 9:48 which is still about 45 min before that express train.  And it can be a similar situation on the return (it all depends on your ship's schedule).   While the Express train is a good thing and viable option...it is simply one more option.

Another possible issue involves the popular BIRG ticket which covers round trip regional train plus all days use of Rome's public transportation.  That ticket used to cost about 12 Euros (not sure of the current price) and is a great option for many cruisers.  I do not know if a BIRG ticket would work on the Express train.

Hank

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

Actually there are no independent shore tours in Italy right now. So unless your cruise starts/ends in Civitavecchia the train wouldn´t help you.

steamboats

Which actually makes a great case for not cruising in Italy.  If we wanted to go to Italy under the current conditions we would simply fly to Italy (possible from the USA) where we would be free to do as we please as long as we adhered to their then current COVID restrictions.  I should add that in terms of cruising it was part of the motivation that drove us to book a Greek Island cruise (and spend additional time doing some on our own island hopping) this summer.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank,

I just returned from a one week all Italian cruise on Costa Smeralda. But actually the ship was the reason to go. And living in Germany it´s not that far to go for us - even with flights from MUC via AMS to FCO.

I definitely wouldn´t do this living in the US.

steamboats

On 6/27/2021 at 1:47 AM, steamboats said:

Actually there are no independent shore tours in Italy right now. So unless your cruise starts/ends in Civitavecchia the train wouldn´t help you.

steamboats

😞

Edited by CruizinKittie40

• 3 weeks later...