First NCL sailing

goldmom

It has been very exciting to watch the progress of some of the other lines having their first sailings.  Especially seeing the Edge sail from Florida.

Does anyone know offhand when the first planned NCL sailing from the US is scheduled?  Assuming that it hopefully will not be cancelled.  Just trying to have a countdown in my mind.  My thoughts are that once that first ship is actually sailing that maybe the other scheduled cruises will actually happen!

We've enjoyed watching a lot of the youtube content generators that have been on these cruises (jjcruise, la lida loca, Harr travel, etc), but all of the NCL brands have been noticeably absent and radio silent.  We are booked on the August 15 Gem which is the first Caribbean based NCL ship going out I think.   Was enjoying the Embark content, but that seems to have gone silent as well.  Really hoping this one goes as we are so ready to cruise!!!    What are folks hearing?

Thanks for the replies!  Guess we still have a while to wait for NCL to start up.  Fingers crossed that everything goes according to plan and there are no delays in the start up.

Looking forward to hearing a live report (or any report) from the Encore and Gem!

Just found out today that my October sailing is cancelled (Norwegian Dawn from Venice).  Super frustrated at this point.  I'd had three European cruises cancelled on Carnival before booking this one.

It's now going to be a land based vacation visiting Venice and Rome.   You just can't blame COVID any more for this.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, meanjean80 said:

Just found out today that my October sailing is cancelled (Norwegian Dawn from Venice).  Super frustrated at this point.  I'd had three European cruises cancelled on Carnival before booking this one.

It's now going to be a land based vacation visiting Venice and Rome.   You just can't blame COVID any more for this.

So sorry to hear this.  I think this is everyone's fear at this point.  Hopefully things will start up soon.  All we can do is hope for the best and plan for the worst.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The first USA sailing is scheduled August 7th to Alaska (Encore). The first USA sailing in the CAribbean is scheduled for August 13 (Gem).

NCL is slow out of the gate.

The first sailing from the Caribbean is August 15th. I know because I'm planning to be on it! 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, meanjean80 said:

I know what you mean...When the UK opens up...I am There!!! Tired of the excuse!!  was supposed to be on the Gem then the Star...Both Sorry!!

If you want a peek at Royal Caribbean’s first North American cruise, the link below is to my live post from that cruise. The rules for this cruise was that anyone over 16 had to be vaccinated. It ran at 25% capacity with 94% vaccinated. I will be live posting from our Encore voyage in August  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 8

57 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I will be live posting from our Encore voyage in August  

Bird will you be on the August 7th sailing? Whatever sailing you are on I looking forward to your reviews. I sail the Encore in September-so it will be a bit of a preview for me. 

• Like 1

Drat, I didn't realize NCL's first cruise isn't until August (thanks for the info).  My final payment is due end of July, and I was hoping to see how things went with the early sailings before I had to pay off my cruise. But then again, with some of the earlier sailings of other cruise lines, we should have a pretty good idea of how thing's are going. Keeping the faith...  😁

• Like 2

As long as NCL has a reasonable protocols to respond when there are COVID positive passengers on the ship, all will be well. Last week, Royal quarantined the two unvaccinated passengers that tested positive and disembarked them at the next port. No impacts to other passengers (other than those identified in contact tracing that had to be tested and wait for results). 

• Like 2

It would be nice to hear some reassurance from NCL.  I'm a loyal customer and am optimistic, but the lack of communication  especially after  canceled cruises and the "we're back"  communique, followed by silence, is concerning to me.

18 hours ago, meanjean80 said:

The EPIC, Jade and Getaway seem to be the remaining European options for Aug/Sept/Oct.  Hopefully at this point they are safe.  

We've never cruised on NCL.  Holland and Celebrity have been our mainstays for 30 cruises.  We're now interested in NCL for several reasons  primarily because of their 100% vaccination policy.  

I wonder what their position will be in August out of Miami if nothing changes regarding the state law on Covid vaccination proof?  Will they cave just like the other lines have done that started with 100%?  If so, what will happen to the people who booked and paid their final only to find out a few weeks before the cruise that the policy has changed?  I believe the website says you can cancel within 2 weeks of sailing date for any reason and get a full refund credit voucher.  That's certainly better than having to go or lose the fare, but it's not meeting the terms of the contract. I'd like to think I can count on NCL to do what they say but it seems unlikely at this point. 

To say the situation is fluid is a weak argument.  They know what the Flordia law is.  Why sell a cruise out of Florida knowing that odds are againist being able to enfore the 100% policy?

Edited by twentyknots

I did my online check in for my Sept Gem cruise and had to check a box that I would be fully vaccinated on my cruise. I don't know what will come of it but it is a good start. I am vaccinated and I have faith that NCL will sail 100% vaccinated cruises at least until the end of October as promised.

We are on the Jade 7/25/21 cruise as well.  I am still feeling 50/50 on chances of sailing.  NCL has not opened up the reservation system on-line for shows or dining.  I hope that is not because they know it is not sailing.

It will be kind of cool if we are the first ones to sail again on a NCL ship.

Edited by Rob-Bob

I just don’t get it. 100% vaccinated, 100% crew vaccinated.  There shouldn’t be an issue. I was thinking about doing the breakaway to Bermuda in September just to get back on a cruise, but may just settle for a royal Caribbean sailing. I thought the Greece sailings were already taking place. Haven’t been paying much attention, more so on the Apex sailing specifically.

Edited by PhillyTravelBug

19 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

We are on the Jade 7/25/21 cruise as well.  I am still feeling 50/50 on chances of sailing.  NCL has not opened up the reservation system on-line for shows or dining.  I hope that is not because they know it is not sailing.

We have our dining reservations. 

Crew is currently boarding in Italy.

Edited by Jamesatgsu

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

I'm on this sailing too. I booked specialty dining reservations, but not the rest since this is a smaller ship, we'll just freestyle it.

Typically on the Jewel Class ships they don't offer show reservations - that's just on the big ships.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soonernick said:

I'm on this sailing too. I booked specialty dining reservations, but not the rest since this is a smaller ship, we'll just freestyle it.

Typically on the Jewel Class ships they don't offer show reservations - that's just on the big ships.

Interesting.  I can not book specialty dining reservations on my bookings.  I on-line chatted with a rep and they told me that this sailing was not taking preboarding meal or show reservations.  She said to book them once onboard.  When did you book your dining reservations?

I didn't think it was a real major issue and as far as meals go as I wouldn't know which days to book anyhow.  I would do the shows ahead though if there is any chance show capacity is limited.  I didn't know how the shows worked on this class.