New Unlimited Internet Perk

12 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

42.2 😱 Dear Christ. Are you still sending telegrams as well? 🤪

250 here in Berlin.... and even more in other cities like Frankfurt...

We only just got rid of carrier pigeons to send messages

Well we are at the bottom of the world 😀

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

We only just got rid of carrier pigeons to send messages

Well we are at the bottom of the world 😀

You should've kept them. Sometimes they are much more reliable than the internet. 😉

• Haha 1

• Surf Wi-Fi Package: allows 1 device per guest with unlimited minutes of access for general web browsing, email, and checking or posting to social media accounts.

I will be fine w/Surf BUT why a limit of 1 device per guest if EVERYONE gets this as a minimum? Would rather not have to be logging in/out of multiple devices (Laptop, Tablet, Smart Phone).

30 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:
  • Surf Wi-Fi Package: allows 1 device per guest with unlimited minutes of access for general web browsing, email, and checking or posting to social media accounts.

I will be fine w/Surf BUT why a limit of 1 device per guest if EVERYONE gets this as a minimum? Would rather not have to be logging in/out of multiple devices (Laptop, Tablet, Smart Phone).

Because there isn't enough bandwidth to have multiple people logged on to multiple devices all at the same time. During periods of high demand you will find speed is really slow or you risk getting kicked off if too many people are using multiple devices and streaming. I have done a few cruises and you get used to either just using one device while on the ship or logging on and off.

2 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Would rather not have to be logging in/out of multiple devices (Laptop, Tablet, Smart Phone).

My question is whether you can, in fact, log out of one device and log in with another under the free (Surf) plan? Does it allow one concurrent device (allowing logging out and in on multiple devices), or is it trull for only one device per passenger? As written, it says "one device", not one device at a time.

Will that mean that anyone who wants to primarily use a laptop, say, but needs to check or occasionally use their phone, will need to pay for an internet package?

Sure hope SB updates their router capacity to accommodate all these "lying in wait" devices, especially in the cabin area, as routers only have so many ports and usually the oldest connection gets knocked off first if there are no empty slots when a new bind request occurs. Oceania didn't when they first allowed each stateroom to have one free unlimited account as most folks simply keep their devices turned on while they wait for their turn.

The problem is that even though only one person can be logged into a stateroom's server account at a time, each active device (Laptop, Tablet, Smart Phone), to include those in nearby cabins, would continue to try to bind to the local router each time it needed to perform an automated "internet-based" function (check email, sync with the cloud, etc) regardless of whether it had internet access or not.

This oversight caused my DW as well as many others to get knocked off the router in our stateroom area every 2-3 minutes while performing certain lengthy internet-based functions our entire 45 day cruise. Trust me, she was quite frustrated and that's one of many reasons we no longer cruise with Oceania. But, I'm sure SB will have a handle on their stateroom area router capabilities and this won't be a problem. 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Having multiple devices is like having multiple cars... you can only use ONE AT A TIME 🙂

But the question is whether you can switch devices or not if you're on the new basic plan. If you register the device (e.g. their system captures and stores the unique MAC address of your device), then it's possible you can't log out on one device and log in on another. If instead you register by name+suite, then perhaps you can switch devices. This is the question many of us would like answered.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

But the question is whether you can switch devices or not if you're on the new basic plan. If you register the device (e.g. their system captures and stores the unique MAC address of your device), then it's possible you can't log out on one device and log in on another. If instead you register by name+suite, then perhaps you can switch devices. This is the question many of us would like answered.

I just called SB and the rep said each guest gets their own account. If someone has multiple devices, they would have to log off one device before logging on with another device. 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cruiseej said:

If instead you register by name+suite, then perhaps you can switch devices. This is the question many of us would like answered.

This is how it happened on pre-Covid cruises. So I was able to swap between devices, for example I would swap between my laptop and my iPad.

I am glad Ken was able to confirm the same would be the case going forward.