Something we haven't had to deal with for 15 months Hurrcane and affect on Saturday and Sunday

jedi bobs

7 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

Just wondering what kind of affect TS/Hurricane Elsa will have on Vista and Horizion?  Elsa, let it go..... another way out to sea, away from Florida or anywhere else!

Joe's suggestion was good, but I'll put my amateur hurricane hunter cap on say on its current track and strength projections, the effect on both ships will be limited.  Vista should be able to stay well to the west of it, though it might be affected by some of the outer bands.  Horizon should be well to the north, though again it might feel some of the outer bands.  But hurricanes can be unpredictable, so this might change on a moment's notice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

Just wondering what kind of affect TS/Hurricane Elsa will have on Vista and Horizion?  Elsa, let it go..... another way out to sea, away from Florida or anywhere else!

We learned of hurricane effects on cruises on our second cruise. Our 5 day cruise became a 7 day cruise. We made all our ports, Key West, Cozumel, and Belize, but could not get back to Fort Lauderdale until Labor Day instead of the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend.

One of the saddest sights I ever saw on a cruise ship was a few native Caribbean women staring at the hurricane map that the captain had posted and seeing that their native island was now in the path of the hurricane.

The extra days were nice until disembarkation. That was a real mess. Pretty much everyone (including us) needed the earliest time to get to the airport to get standby flights. And it being a holiday weekend and extra cruise ships as more than one days worth came in, there were not enough immigration officials on duty. By the time the first and second colors had been called, the lounge was so packed you could hardly breathe.

And if you want to see a real mess, see an airport on a holiday weekend when it has been shut down for a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I just caught a tail end of a local weather forecast and he did hit on the tropical storm that will turn into a hurricane Elsa. Fortunately for the Vista sailing, it's projected to veer slightly northward, and miss the Caribbean ports that Vista will  visit. But unfortunately, it's projected path will turn towards Florida. How badly it will effect the Florida sailings, is unknown to me. 

But it appears to be forming and strengthening. I'm sure pelican bill has a better feel than I do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We learned of hurricane effects on cruises on our second cruise. Our 5 day cruise became a 7 day cruise. We made all our ports, Key West, Cozumel, and Belize, but could not get back to Fort Lauderdale until Labor Day instead of the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend.

One of the saddest sights I ever saw on a cruise ship was a few native Caribbean women staring at the hurricane map that the captain had posted and seeing that their native island was now in the path of the hurricane.

The extra days were nice until disembarkation. That was a real mess. Pretty much everyone (including us) needed the earliest time to get to the airport to get standby flights. And it being a holiday weekend and extra cruise ships as more than one days worth came in, there were not enough immigration officials on duty. By the time the first and second colors had been called, the lounge was so packed you could hardly breathe.

And if you want to see a real mess, see an airport on a holiday weekend when it has been shut down for a few days.

I should add that another effect of our cruise going over 2 days was the next cruise was shorter. I spoke at the airport to one of the cruise line workers holding a sign so those with transfers would know where to go, and she had no idea how many would show up. I later heard that the ports were totally different, and that there was only one sitting for dinner. (This was before any of the anytime type dinings were offered  except for NCL freestyle.)

• Like 1

I remember when the biggest worry about a cruise this time of year was a hurricane.  Unless  a hurricane is heading straight towards a port city for a cruise that is about to begin, the ships can sail around it.  We've had two September cruises impacted by hurricanes, but the ships sailed into perfect weather both times.  Our itineraries changed, which was a bummer, bu we were happy to cruise at all.

Hopefully, the ships going out will have clear paths.

Edited by TNcruising02

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I remember when the biggest worry about a cruise this time of year was a hurricane.  Unless  a hurricane is heading straight towards a port city for a cruise that is about to begin, the ships can sail around it.  We've had two September cruises impacted by hurricanes, but the ships sailed into perfect weather both times.  Our itineraries changed, which was a bummer, bu we were happy to cruise at all.

Hopefully, the ships going out will have clear paths.

Read my earlier posts. In addition to the hurricane heading straight to a port city for a cruise that is about to begin, you have to worry about getting back to your port city if that is where it is headed.

Also there have been cruise ports pretty much destroyed by major hurricanes.

• Like 1