When will Royal announce they will cancel Cruises out of Australia

The Ovation of the Seas just started cruises out of Alaska.  Their season will wrap up in September.  At that point the Ship is scheduled to go back to Australia and cruise there from Oct 16- Mar 30.  Australia still has it's borders closed to all Foreigners.  We have a March 5th cruise schedule to depart out of Sydney to cruise around New Zealand.  Just wondering at what point Royal will announce that the Ovation will be moved to someplace that they can generate revenue.  At this point in time only about 4% of Australians have received the Covid Vaccine.  

Probably comes down to if there is a viable other option for Ovation or if Australia announces it's shut down until at least April. Royal has already shown they're ok with a 2-3 month season so still a possibility of Jan-Mar though slim. 

1 hour ago, Coochuck said:

The Ovation of the Seas just started cruises out of Alaska.  Their season will wrap up in September.  At that point the Ship is scheduled to go back to Australia and cruise there from Oct 16- Mar 30.  Australia still has it's borders closed to all Foreigners.  We have a March 5th cruise schedule to depart out of Sydney to cruise around New Zealand.  Just wondering at what point Royal will announce that the Ovation will be moved to someplace that they can generate revenue.  At this point in time only about 4% of Australians have received the Covid Vaccine.  

After they get your final payment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

After they get your final payment.

Not this time fortunately. I had final due on 30th June for September TP and we received letter from Royal stating that they were still working out what was happening and no final payments have to be made until they make a decision.  OP - we don't know when, we just have to wait.

OP - there's no chance they sail down here this year (which you probably know as you're asking about when they cancel)   I think our vaccine rate is up to 8% now but the rollout is going incredibly slow.  They banked on using AZ and got heaps of that but now not recommended here for under 60's.  They are getting more Pfizer and Moderna coming soon but we are looking towards the end of the year now.  I got my first shot of Pfizer last weekend - I jumped on and made an appt the minute they announced it for under 50's but I think people can't get an appt now till Sept/Oct or later.

We currently have outbreaks in most states bar a couple this week, nearly all states were in lockdown - our state came out of it at midnight - as we locked down quickly there was minimal spread.

Sydney currently has a large outbreak and they're having trouble getting it under control.

We have a Queensland only cruise out of Brisbane booked at the end of December that I had still hoped might cruise, it would be with Aussie's only, but I think there's about 0 - 1% chance of that happening.

The govt yesterday released a 'plan out of covid' and it's looking more and more like international travel won't happen till second half of next year.  Our current cruise ship ban is till Sept 17th.

We might have to wait a couple more months for an official cancellation which is very likely going to be the whole season gone - there's just no way they're going to let cruise ships in, even if it was just for Aussie's only. Until everyone can be vaccinated it won't be an option.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm still hoping Ovation comes down to the west coast and starts doing some of the Mexican Riviera cruises...sorry Australia. 

If Ovation goes to So. Cal, I hope she does a few 15-night Hawaii round trips!!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm still hoping Ovation comes down to the west coast and starts doing some of the Mexican Riviera cruises...sorry Australia. 

Me too.  Especially for Christmas.  

A couple days ago Princess cancelled their remaining Australia cruises through December 19, 2021. 😞

Information on Impacted & Cancelled Cruises

Updated June 30, 2021 6:00pm PT

Like so many facets of life, travel has been hit hard by recent events. It is with a heavy heart that Princess Cruises has made the extremely difficult decision to temporarily pause our global ship operations. We know you were looking forward to sailing with us, and we apologize and share in your disappointment over these cancellations. You don’t need to take any action to receive the default compensation offer. You can find out details of your compensation by clicking the link that matches your sail date below.

Remaining Cruises from Australian Ports through December 19, 2021

10 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Sad to hear this. We’ve really been hoping for our Sydney to Singapore repositioning on Serenade in late February 22. 

We were booked on that one but changed it a couple of months ago to a b2b on Radiance in Nov 22. Don't even want to look forward to that one too much just in case.

I hope things improve for all of you down there soon.

I read an interesting piece in the NY Times today that Australia's Zero Covid policy has been put in serious jeopardy by the Delta variant, which is transmissible even when someone just walks by a positive person.

I have an Australia cruise booked in Feb 2023 and am wondering if I should cancel because there is some doubt whether Australia would open its borders even by the end of 2022.

14 hours ago, BecAus said:

Not this time fortunately. I had final due on 30th June for September TP and we received letter from Royal stating that they were still working out what was happening and no final payments have to be made until they make a decision.  OP - we don't know when, we just have to wait.

OP - there's no chance they sail down here this year (which you probably know as you're asking about when they cancel)   I think our vaccine rate is up to 8% now but the rollout is going incredibly slow.  They banked on using AZ and got heaps of that but now not recommended here for under 60's.  They are getting more Pfizer and Moderna coming soon but we are looking towards the end of the year now.  I got my first shot of Pfizer last weekend - I jumped on and made an appt the minute they announced it for under 50's but I think people can't get an appt now till Sept/Oct or later.

We currently have outbreaks in most states bar a couple this week, nearly all states were in lockdown - our state came out of it at midnight - as we locked down quickly there was minimal spread.

Sydney currently has a large outbreak and they're having trouble getting it under control.

We have a Queensland only cruise out of Brisbane booked at the end of December that I had still hoped might cruise, it would be with Aussie's only, but I think there's about 0 - 1% chance of that happening.

The govt yesterday released a 'plan out of covid' and it's looking more and more like international travel won't happen till second half of next year.  Our current cruise ship ban is till Sept 17th.

We might have to wait a couple more months for an official cancellation which is very likely going to be the whole season gone - there's just no way they're going to let cruise ships in, even if it was just for Aussie's only. Until everyone can be vaccinated it won't be an option.

Very timely information.  Thank You

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I read an interesting piece in the NY Times today that Australia's Zero Covid policy has been put in serious jeopardy by the Delta variant, which is transmissible even when someone just walks by a positive person.

I have an Australia cruise booked in Feb 2023 and am wondering if I should cancel because there is some doubt whether Australia would open its borders even by the end of 2022.

With sailing dates that far out....why don't you hang on and see what happens by the time final is due.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

With sailing dates that far out....why don't you hang on and see what happens by the time final is due.

I’ve set aside the 1st half 2023 vacation slot for the Australia/ NZ cruise, and would prefer something else more “certain”

kind of tired of the on again off again vacation plans over the last 2 years 

16 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I’ve set aside the 1st half 2023 vacation slot for the Australia/ NZ cruise, and would prefer something else more “certain”

kind of tired of the on again off again vacation plans over the last 2 years 

I gave a simple answer to your question...sorry it was not what you wanted to hear...so do whatever will work out personally for you.