Riviera PH2 vs. B1 Veranda

Lundboat

We are looking forward to getting back to Oceania after being absent for several years.

Our previous trips have been in either a Penthouse 2 or in an O suite, so we are a little spoiled.

We have never cruised another line and have no intention of changing.

Now that we are getting more near a fixed income, the challenge is not if we should upgrade to an O Suite, but if we should upgrade to a Penthouse.

We have never stayed in a B1 Veranda, or even been inside one.

We are looking at 2 different trips, one in the Mediterranean for 12 days port intensive and the other is the Caribbean 7 days not extremely port intensive. Both on the Riviera.  I understand that a larger room is a benefit for a non port intensive cruise.  2 days at sea out of 7 is a big percentage.

The only booking differences would be reserving for specialties, PHs go first, then the Verandas.  But the number of reservations at each is the same.....

We do not like having a butler.  Never did and probably never will.  Just our way, and not a a big issue, other than they don't really understand that we don't want them to do anything at all for us.  Again, not a big issue, we just roll a bit different.

So, those of you that have stayed in both a Veranda and a Penthouse on the Marina or Riviera..... Is there a huge difference in the on board experience between the 2 types of rooms......????  Did you feel cramped in a Veranda?  Is the bathroom significantly different??

At $300 to $350 per day difference between the two, I want to learn a little more before I book.

I am willing to pay if there is significant differences in the "feel" of the room.....

Your thoughts??

Thanks!!

Mike and Joanne

8 minutes ago, Lundboat said:

We are looking forward to getting back to Oceania after being absent for several years.

Our previous trips have been in either a Penthouse 2 or in an O suite, so we are a little spoiled.

We have never cruised another line and have no intention of changing.

Now that we are getting more near a fixed income, the challenge is not if we should upgrade to an O Suite, but if we should upgrade to a Penthouse.

We have never stayed in a B1 Veranda, or even been inside one.

We are looking at 2 different trips, one in the Mediterranean for 12 days port intensive and the other is the Caribbean 7 days not extremely port intensive. Both on the Riviera.  I understand that a larger room is a benefit for a non port intensive cruise.  2 days at sea out of 7 is a big percentage.

The only booking differences would be reserving for specialties, PHs go first, then the Verandas.  But the number of reservations at each is the same.....

We do not like having a butler.  Never did and probably never will.  Just our way, and not a a big issue, other than they don't really understand that we don't want them to do anything at all for us.  Again, not a big issue, we just roll a bit different.

So, those of you that have stayed in both a Veranda and a Penthouse on the Marina or Riviera..... Is there a huge difference in the on board experience between the 2 types of rooms......????  Did you feel cramped in a Veranda?  Is the bathroom significantly different??

At $300 to $350 per day difference between the two, I want to learn a little more before I book.

I am willing to pay if there is significant differences in the "feel" of the room.....

Your thoughts??

Thanks!!

Mike and Joanne

IMO - PH is a waste of money- particularly since you can try to book a B3 extended balcony on Riviera/Marina for even less than a B1.

Of course, that’s just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lundboat said:

Your thoughts??

Thanks!!

Mike and Joanne

We have stayed in a Veranda(A4) on Riviera and a PH2 on Marina.  They PH is more spacious with a small but suitable eating table.  We were able to enjoy hot breakfasts in the PH which was important for early excursions on our port intensive cruise.  It is very tight to manage a hot or cold breakfast in a Veranda.  The PH has a walk-in closet, much more functional than the veranda.  However, our next two cruises are booked on Riviera and Marina in verandas, A3.  The B3 has some aft rooms with extended verandas, and those are worthy a look.  Check the deck plans.  For your 7 day cruise, the B room would be my choice, closer call for the 12 day cruise unless price differential comes into play.

Edited by shank63
Correction

We have no problem in the R or O Class Verandas but the PH’s on the ships are about 50% larger than the veranda rooms and are enjoyable with the extra amenities. Everyone has a budget but if there is a special occasion, the PH is well worth it.  It is more than the size of the room that make the difference, it is the whole experience. With all the extra amenities and the care you will receive from your Butler, it will be a special cruise. Since on the O Class ships there are four specialty restaurants, should you want to dine in, just know all your Room Service dinners can be from them. Your Butler can assist you with extra in restaurant reservations wherever you choose as well.  
If you do make the jump to the PH, be careful, it can become habit forming. 
Bonnie and Gerry

If you go to youtube.com and type in Oceania Riviera veranda stateroom, there's a very helpful one yr old video.  Same guy does a PH, too.  I watched them all before I made my cabin choice for my first Oceania cruise.

Why not compromise with an A class cabin. If you don't want a butler but want a mid level dinner reservation plateau with the benefit of the lounge that would be my choice.

The cabins are roomy enough especially for a port intensive itinerary.

Have not stayed in a PH  but the  A & B cabins  are  282 sq ft including balcony   the size of the PH 420 sq ft including balcony

only you can decided if it will be too cramped for your needs

As mentioned check some youtube videos  it will give you some idea of size

The Amenities will be less in a B cabin  than the A   if that matters to you

My friend and I usually stay in a PH but on the longest cruise we did, the Panama Canal, we did a Concierge veranda, same size as a regular veranda. I told my friend at the end of the cruise that the cabin itself was no issue with size, we were both comfortable in it and we had several sea days and I was getting over chemo so did stay in the cabin a lot. But what I did not like was the lack of storage space. I know that you can put your luggage opened up under the bed and put things there that you will not use much but I still ended up with a small stack of sweaters and tops on the side of the sofa. 

I agree with the comment about the B2 extended verandas. We had a PH with one of those and loved the extra space. So my suggestion is if storage is not a big issue go with an extended balcony or the Concierge for the lounge and hot breakfast. Julia

Thanks for all the great responses!

This topic has created some interesting conversation at home!

We will probably end up with the PH for the less port intensive cruise in the Caribbean as we will have a couple of sea days and we will probably enjoy the extra elbow room.

For the Med cruise, we will be spending most of the day out and about.  So, probably a Veranda will work just fine.  Unless, we figure that ordering in for a couple nights might work out well!  That being said, we really do like the Grand Dining Room for dinner..... So many really good options.....

1 hour ago, jwindham said:

I agree with the comment about the B2 extended verandas. We had a PH with one of those and loved the extra space. So my suggestion is if storage is not a big issue go with an extended balcony or the Concierge for the lounge and hot breakfast. Julia

There are very few Penthouse cabins with extended balconies, and they usually get snapped up as soon as a sailing is announced.  There are many more B3s with extended balconies (not B2) and they have two loungers as well as regular chairs and a table.

3 hours ago, jwindham said:

My friend and I usually stay in a PH but on the longest cruise we did, the Panama Canal, we did a Concierge veranda, same size as a regular veranda. I told my friend at the end of the cruise that the cabin itself was no issue with size, we were both comfortable in it and we had several sea days and I was getting over chemo so did stay in the cabin a lot. But what I did not like was the lack of storage space. I know that you can put your luggage opened up under the bed and put things there that you will not use much but I still ended up with a small stack of sweaters and tops on the side of the sofa. 

The “extended” balconies on Marina/Riviera are primarily B3 (several forward and aft) with four aft corner PH.

Sorry but, as a yacht sailor, I still have to chuckle at the thought of a B cabin somehow being too small - even on cruises of a month or more. Of course, I respect folks’ cabin preferences. But, there’s a reason why some of the B3 ones are booked full within minutes of the announcement of certain itineraries.

A5B928F5-BB11-4A84-B288-7AC177C4FF37.jpeg

I must not be packing enough 😃

We have done  a C1 on the R ships for 30+ days at a time   & have done A & B  cabins on the O class ships

never  a problem storing 2 x 26" cases (closed ) under the bed  & never had a shortage of drawer space

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The “extended” balconies on Marina/Riviera are primarily B3 (several forward and aft) with four aft corner PH.

Sorry but, as a yacht sailor, I still have to chuckle at the thought of a B cabin somehow being too small - even on cruises of a month or more. Of course, I respect folks’ cabin preferences. But, there’s a reason why some of the B3 ones are booked full within minutes of the announcement of certain itineraries.

A5B928F5-BB11-4A84-B288-7AC177C4FF37.jpeg

I would love to have one of those, but my better half would have a fit!  Simply the thought of being fore or aft on the ship would bring on the not so well sea feeling......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I must not be packing enough 😃

We have done  a C1 on the R ships for 30+ days at a time   & have done A & B  cabins on the O class ships

never  a problem storing 2 x 26" cases (closed ) under the bed  & never had a shortage of drawer space

Sorry for not being more clear.  This has nothing to do with storage or packing....

I was really wanting to know about living in one space vs another for a week or more.  Granted, packing can be an issue for some!  And at times it has been a bit of a problem for my better half.  But we know from experience the limitations of storage in a PH and by reading I have been able to figure the additional limits of the Verandas.  

Again, sorry to not be more clear.

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, Lundboat said:

I would love to have one of those, but my better half would have a fit!  Simply the thought of being fore or aft on the ship would bring on the not so well sea feeling......

You might be OK if you managed to snag 7108, 7110, 7111 or 7115 (if I'm reading the deck plan correctly...). Although these are directly above the dining room, so not sure about noise....

Edited by avalong

14 minutes ago, avalong said:

You might be OK if you managed to snag 7108, 7110, 7111 or 7115 (if I'm reading the deck plan correctly...). Although these are directly above the dining room, so not sure about noise....

Hey, that's a great idea!  I will have the queezy one take a look......

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lundboat said:

Sorry for not being more clear.  This has nothing to do with storage or packing....

I was really wanting to know about living in one space vs another for a week or more.  Granted, packing can be an issue for some! 

sorry I should have quoted  the person i was comment  on  it was not directed at you

Yes of course   if you are used to more space then the PH is the better choice

We have no problem in the lower smaller cabins   but not everyone is the same

Enjoy  the cruise

49 minutes ago, Lundboat said:

Hey, that's a great idea!  I will have the queezy one take a look......

Thanks!

we have not had any issues on the ones close to the after elevators with the motion  7114

I will not go past the forward elevator banks   as I would feel more motion there

but the cabins are not as big as a PH  so it is  a trade off

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

we have not had any issues on the ones close to the after elevators with the motion  7114

I will not go past the forward elevator banks   as I would feel more motion there

but the cabins are not as big as a PH  so it is  a trade off

Pretty much my experience as well.  The aft elevators seem to be the point at which everything rotates around.... and around..... and around....

3 hours ago, avalong said:

Trust me....  You definitely/absolutely/really don’t want 7108 or 7111 - never/ever/no-way-José. They are the two worst cabins on the ship. Tell everyone you know so that people will avoid booking them. As nice a guy as I am, I’ve even booked them as often as I can just to save other folks from making the biggest cabin selection error EVER. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Trust me....  You definitely/absolutely/really don’t want 7108 or 7111 - never/ever/no-way-José. They are the two worst cabins on the ship. Tell everyone you know so that people will avoid booking them. As nice a guy as I am, I’ve even booked them as often as I can just to save other folks from making the biggest cabin selection error EVER. 😉

I've always thought of you as one of the good guys on these boards - this just confirms it 😀

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2021 at 10:35 PM, mauibabes said:

We have no problem in the R or O Class Verandas but the PH’s on the ships are about 50% larger than the veranda rooms and are enjoyable with the extra amenities. Everyone has a budget but if there is a special occasion, the PH is well worth it.  It is more than the size of the room that make the difference, it is the whole experience. With all the extra amenities and the care you will receive from your Butler, it will be a special cruise. Since on the O Class ships there are four specialty restaurants, should you want to dine in, just know all your Room Service dinners can be from them. Your Butler can assist you with extra in restaurant reservations wherever you choose as well.  
If you do make the jump to the PH, be careful, it can become habit forming. 
Bonnie and Gerry

I didn't realize that PH can order specialty restaurant dinners for dine in.  This is for Riviera also?

Is it difficult to get additional reservations for specialty dining?  Do you need to ask right away or can you be spontaneous?  Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Muushka said:

I didn't realize that PH can order specialty restaurant dinners for dine in.  This is for Riviera also?

Is it difficult to get additional reservations for specialty dining?  Do you need to ask right away or can you be spontaneous?  Thanks!

Extra specialty reservations are taken daily (if available) on first come basis. On O ships, at one of the desks in the main lobby. On R ships, it can vary from portside entrance to Terrace Café to at or opposite O Club desk.