Adventure of the seas 9/22: ocean view or balcony

Hi! As a follow up to my previous question, i have been pricing out ocean view cabins, midship, on decks 2 and 3, or balcony cabins on decks 8 or 9 at almost twice the price. Has anyone stayed in a cabin on the lower decks, especially near the dining room on deck 3? I am open to either option, but would appreciate some input. It would be a Canada/New England cruise.

The ov cabins are much smaller than balcony cabins.  I think about 50 sq' smaller.  If you dont spend much time in your cabin, then go with the OV cabin.  

If you enjoy having breakfast or cocktails on a balcony, or just relaxing and reading or napping on your own balcony, then a balcony is worth it.

On a Canada/New England cruise there is a probability of seeing whales for that reason I would go with a balcony cabin over an ocean view. To take it a step further I would try to get an aft balcony cabin if available. 

• Like 1

If you can afford a balcony you should book one. The nicer your cabin the more time you will spend there. Any time of day it's lovely to stroll out to your balcony to watch the sunrise or set and the stars twinkling above. 

The only advantage to booking an ocean view cabin is to save money to put toward your next cruise. Book the balcony and enjoy your private sanctuary on the high seas. 

Happy cruising. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

I personally don't find a benefit to ocean view over interior so would never pay for it. I've sailed in them a few times when it was somehow cheaper than interior or prices dropped after final so free upgrade, but would never pay for it. Balconies are nice though. I greatly enjoyed my aft that was large enough to have a lounge chair on it - way more comfortable than the chairs so I hung out there a lot more.

We've had everything from an inside to ocean view balcony . It's down to the pricing and benefit ratio for us. If its wildly more expensive we're happy with an OV, but have said never again to an inside.

You can get better all round views out on deck anyway so I guess it depends how much time you think you would spend on the balcony and if you think it's worth it for you 

As far as noise is concerned we haven't noticed any more noise being on deck 2 or 3 than higher up

Edited by sgmn

• 5 months later...

So, update...we went ahead and booked a 9-night cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ for next September (only have to drive to reach the port!) and are in an Ocean View room, 2300. A couple more questions:

1) I've seen posts on this board about the Royal Up program. Can anyone try to bid for a higher cabin, or is there a special invitation you need to receive? I'm thinking that as it gets closer next year I'd try to bid for a mid-ship balcony upgrade.

2)Yes, I know the Covid situation is somewhat unstable right now, but I'm trying to keep some optimism that we'll be able to do excursions that I've seen listed on the site in the past. What are some good ones to keep in mind? We generally like to get tours around the ports, and want to stick with the Royal Caribbean-hosted excursions in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for any info! We're really excited about this, and hope it all falls into place next September.

Edited by ceo418
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ceo418 said:

Can anyone try to bid for a higher cabin, or is there a special invitation you need to receive?

Generally everyone can bid but sometimes you can’t, like if your TA doesn’t participate. Don’t count on that for an upgrade. 

12 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I’m guessing this is cruise #1 (or other low number)

Forget the whales: You went low(and middle) so less chance of blow!!!*

* Lower, middle staterooms are less susceptible to the pitch, roll and yaw of ships. 

This is cruise #2 for me, #7 for my husband. Last time was an Alaska cruise on Princess where someone else paid for a balcony. 😁 I am indeed prone to motion sickness, so we figured our chosen cabin was a good spot!