Mask wearing still required for fully vaccinated ship on Serenade of the Seas out of Seattle?

I'm guessing the Coastal Kitchen will allow unvaccinated? Does that mean Suite guests will have to wear a mask at dinner unless we choose to dine in a "vaccinated" area of the MDR instead.  That would be pretty disappointing.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I’m booked on Ovation 8/20 and received the email with “updated” protocols.  Am I correct in assuming that vaccinated passengers do not have to wear a mask in vaccinated only areas? (Such as the solarium pool or the pub) and how does the “actively eating or drinking” stipulation work?  Do I have to walk around with a straw in my drink and never put it down?  If I’m at my table at the restaurant can I remove my mask entirely or do I have to put it back on between bites or while waiting for my food to arrive? What about in the theater or the music hall…if there are sections designated for the vaccinated can I remove my mask?

Look, I knew I took my chances when I booked a line that wasn’t necessarily 100% vaccinated, but these rules seem hard to wrap my vacation mind around. 

I am going on the Freedom in 2 weeks. I have been watching you tube videos and overall not bad. I saw Matt from a certain blog talking to people at a table outside the pub(basically in the promenade) they were seated, masks off drinking beers. I also saw Another you tuber eating with her son at sorrentos. No masks needed while seated. I do think it is needed walking around hallways, in the elevators, gangways and the promenade. I have heard there is a rumor that the cdc might loosen the masking for vaccinated. I’m still hoping. Fingers crossed!!!

58 minutes ago, sherylc said:

I'm guessing the Coastal Kitchen will allow unvaccinated? Does that mean Suite guests will have to wear a mask at dinner unless we choose to dine in a "vaccinated" area of the MDR instead.  That would be pretty disappointing.

Hubby and I were just talking about this. I guess we will have to wear masks in the Suite Lounge, since it will be open to all suite guests.  Not real happy about that. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:33 PM, emya said:

I'm on the 8/20 sailing and I was also under the impression that masks would not be required, so I'm disappointed as well. I did choose RCCL because I'm traveling with my 8-year-old son and I couldn't take him on the other cruise lines. We discussed it, and decided not to let the mask policy ruin our fun. It doesn't really change anything for us, but it makes me really nervous what other changes they may make before sailing, you know? 

Interesting. We are on the 8/13 sailing of the ovation. We haven’t received anything regarding 

7 hours ago, chefchick said:

I’m booked on Ovation 8/20 and received the email with “updated” protocols.  Am I correct in assuming that vaccinated passengers do not have to wear a mask in vaccinated only areas? (Such as the solarium pool or the pub) and how does the “actively eating or drinking” stipulation work?  Do I have to walk around with a straw in my drink and never put it down?  If I’m at my table at the restaurant can I remove my mask entirely or do I have to put it back on between bites or while waiting for my food to arrive? What about in the theater or the music hall…if there are sections designated for the vaccinated can I remove my mask?

Look, I knew I took my chances when I booked a line that wasn’t necessarily 100% vaccinated, but these rules seem hard to wrap my vacation mind around. 

Interesting. We are on the 8/13 sailing and have not received anything from Royal In regards to protocols. 

Just got off the phone with a few of the tour companies for Alaska excursions.  Looks like not only will we have to wear masks most places on the ship, we will also be required to wear masks on most excursions including boat rides, helicopters, etc.  Might (and emphasis on might) be able to take off the mask when in outside areas, but must wear any inside area that is considered "public transportation" such as a boat ride.

After reading the below really glad I cancelled our September Ovation cruise.

2 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Just got off the phone with a few of the tour companies for Alaska excursions.  Looks like not only will we have to wear masks most places on the ship, we will also be required to wear masks on most excursions including boat rides, helicopters, etc.  Might (and emphasis on might) be able to take off the mask when in outside areas, but must wear any inside area that is considered "public transportation" such as a boat ride.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chefchick said:

in reference to the ""how does the “actively eating or drinking” stipulation work? "" I can only reference off the major airport Hub Terminals I have been in recently.  Anytime you are seated and have a drink, i.e open bottle or glass with beverage in it, in front of you, you are "actively drinking".  I have not seen anyone sitting in a restaurant, eating area (food court) wearing a mask in any of the airport terminals.  Also have seen many in the waiting area seats with a "To Go" coffee cup in their hand not masked either.

I don't think it is going to be near as bad as some think it will be, a little inconvenient, yes.  May have to be reminded occasionally to mask up, but just comply without a fuss and you should have no problems.

BtW just for the record i wasn't all that happy with the masking requirement for the 8/20 ovation cruise either, but it will not deter me.

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I live in Alaska, and almost no one is wearing a mask in Anchorage. I know you’re not coming to Anchorage, and maybe it’s different in the small port towns, but here, it mainly seems to be tour groups wearing masks. My guess is either Royal is requiring that, or they’re trying to protect their business because they don’t want to be the one shut down by an outbreak and get a bad rep. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cruisegus said:

I don't think it is going to be near as bad as some think it will be, a little inconvenient, yes

I fully intend to have a drink in my hand from the moment I get up until I lay my head down on my pillow at night.  🙂 

• Like 1