trbarton

Just now, WorkNCruise said:

Epic

Breakaway 

Getaway 

Escape 

Bliss

Encore

Not the Joy though because it was originally built for the Chinese market.

Not sure about the Prima or its future twins.

Thank you very much. 

Tom😀

41 minutes ago, WorkNCruise said:

Epic

Breakaway 

Getaway 

Escape 

Bliss

Encore

Not the Joy though because it was originally built for the Chinese market.

Not sure about the Prima or its future twins.

Prima does. I've got one booked.

12 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Pride of America also has Studio cabins (just 4).

Yeah, imo NCL really needs to upgrade the PoA with more studio cabins and a legitimate studio lounge (not just a common room with  table and 4 chairs). Either that or just do away with those 4 measly studio cabins altogether.

10 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Yeah, imo NCL really needs to upgrade the PoA with more studio cabins and a legitimate studio lounge (not just a common room with  table and 4 chairs). Either that or just do away with those 4 measly studio cabins altogether.

It sounds a bit like the Radiance-class ships at Royal Caribbean, which have only three studio cabins, apparently where double inside cabins wouldn't fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

It sounds a bit like the Radiance-class ships at Royal Caribbean, which have only three studio cabins, apparently where double inside cabins wouldn't fit.

Ironically, I was just looking at pictures of a Radiance-class ship; Jewel of the Seas. Wow, 3 whole studios, eh?

I'm wondering if the NCL Studio cabins would be too tight for someone with claustrophobia.  I've only had a problem with that when I had an MRI, but I'd hate to book a cruise and have a similar response to tight quarters.  My late husband and I booked an inside cabin years ago on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas, and after one night I asked if there were any outside cabins available and got moved for only $50.  I could have tolerated it, but that was 120 sq. ft., so 97 sq. ft. including shower seems tight.  On the other hand, I've had absolutely no problem when I've booked an inside cabin on Cunard and Celebrity.

I've seen a lot of comments saying NCL's Single Suite is great for solo travelers, and NCL seems to do a lot of my bucket list destinations at really great solo rates.  Any input on your experience with these cabins will be greatly appreciated!

24 minutes ago, OctoberLace said:

I'm wondering if the NCL Studio cabins would be too tight for someone with claustrophobia.  I've only had a problem with that when I had an MRI, but I'd hate to book a cruise and have a similar response to tight quarters.  My late husband and I booked an inside cabin years ago on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas, and after one night I asked if there were any outside cabins available and got moved for only $50.  I could have tolerated it, but that was 120 sq. ft., so 97 sq. ft. including shower seems tight.  On the other hand, I've had absolutely no problem when I've booked an inside cabin on Cunard and Celebrity.

I've seen a lot of comments saying NCL's Single Suite is great for solo travelers, and NCL seems to do a lot of my bucket list destinations at really great solo rates.  Any input on your experience with these cabins will be greatly appreciated!

To be honest it can be an issue for you. I find it cozy, but knew someone who could not deal with it. Your bed is up against the wall so you only have one way off, tight space between bed and closet area. Your sink and shower are in the same space and the toilet is in a very small room. The shower stall is also very enclosed and small, but is clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OctoberLace said:

NCL's single suite? Is that different from NCL's studio cabin?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

NCL's single suite? Is that different from NCL's studio cabin?

I'm fairly certain that when someone talks about a "Single Suite" on NCL, they have booked an actual "Suite/Haven Suite" and paid the Single Supplement price.  But, maybe Prima will have something new that I haven't learned about yet!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

I'm fairly certain that when someone talks about a "Single Suite" on NCL, they have booked an actual "Suite/Haven Suite" and paid the Single Supplement price.  But, maybe Prima will have something new that I haven't learned about yet!

Sorry Ginger,

All of Prima's accomodations have been published for public perusal.  The only cabin for a party of one is the inside studio, very much like all the previous ones.  Any other type of room you would have to pay double occupancy.  The difference on the Prima is that it no longer is a split bath.  It is an ensuite bathroom with the toilet, shower, glass door, window, and sink are in the same room.  There is a lounge for solo passengers.  It is not entirely clear how the lounge is situated.  Based on the deck plans I would guess it is located on Deck 12.  The Prima studio is slightly smaller at 95 square feet/9 square meters.  The pictures of the lounge are very inviting.

Nothing really new.

Edited by hungry1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hungry1 said:

Sorry Ginger,

All of Prima's accomodations have been published for public perusal.  The only cabin for a party of one is the inside studio, very much like all the previous ones.  Any other type of room you would have to pay double occupancy.  The difference on the Prima is that it no longer is a split bath.  It is an ensuite bathroom with the toilet, shower, glass door, window, and sink are in the same room.  There is a lounge for solo passengers.  It is not entirely clear how the lounge is situated.  Based on the deck plans I would guess it is located on Deck 12.  The Prima studio is slightly smaller at 95 square feet/9 square meters.  The pictures of the lounge are very inviting.

Nothing really new.

I actually was not looking for myself.  Prima, currently, is not my future.

But, you gave some great info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Man, a suite or Haven suite with a 100% solo supplement? Ouch. Too rich for my blood.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Yaay! Smaller studio cabins....just what we need. Thanks NCL 🤪.

As far as I can tell from what tiny bit of info NCL has shared so far… the loss of square footage comes from putting the toilet, sink, & shower together in a separate bathroom. It looks like we’ll lose that bit of open space that serves to connect those three things. I don’t think the square footage inside an enclosed bathroom is counted as cabin square footage - anyone know? 

• Thanks 1

The first time I saw my solo room on Breakaway, I was like...no, no ,no, this won't do, I'll never do this again.  After a couple of days I got used to it, and now it's my choice over a regular inside room! But, I would account that mainly to the solo lounge. They do have the closed circuit TV windows, so it almost feels like you have a real window.  But, they are small rooms!

I've booked a regular room for Europe next year, and am disappointed.  The solo rooms are much more that booking a regular inside room, even with the supplement.  I'm not sure why that is.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jcscv said:

I've booked a regular room for Europe next year, and am disappointed.  The solo rooms are much more that booking a regular inside room, even with the supplement.  I'm not sure why that is.

Supply and demand. If there have been a lot of bookings for studios, relative to the number of them on the ship, the fare will be higher. And if there have been few bookings for inside doubles, relative to the number on the ship, that fare will be lower. Sometimes they get quite out of balance.

A few posts in other threads over the past few years have claimed that an inside double, booked as a solo, is always cheaper than a studio. That's not consistently true, but it happens, especially close to the date of sailing when some insides have been released because of successful upgrade bids.

• Like 2

I had a couple of instances where I called the week before sailing and upgraded to a balcony for anywhere from $100-$250 as the single supplement sometimes vanishes if the ship is not sold out.

I had a run of cruises where this worked up until my 2018 Escape for New England and Canada.

I would say the people and not the room make the cruise. My favorite cruise was my 2011 Epic in a Studio.

The square footage between a Studio and Inside also doesnt take into account the extras in the inside such as i believe table etc. 

To me the only really annoying thing was I would have to unpack on the bed vs having the extra couch space

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

I had a couple of instances where I called the week before sailing and upgraded to a balcony for anywhere from $100-$250 as the single supplement sometimes vanishes if the ship is not sold out.

I had a run of cruises where this worked up until my 2018 Escape for New England and Canada.

I would say the people and not the room make the cruise. My favorite cruise was my 2011 Epic in a Studio.

The square footage between a Studio and Inside also doesnt take into account the extras in the inside such as i believe table etc. 

To me the only really annoying thing was I would have to unpack on the bed vs having the extra couch space

The square footage comparison also doesn't take into account the size of the beds; a Studio cabin's bed is comparable to a twin-sized, IIRC. Remind me to bring a tape measure on my next cruise!

The design of a Studio - minimalist modern design, storage solutions that keep most stuff out of sight - brings a more airy feel to the space. It's still small, though, and someone with claustrophobia should probably avoid it (or at least tour a cabin before booking). Me, I love a cozy space. I'm on NCL in August 2021 (Encore), October 2021 (Bliss), Sept 2022 (Prima), Jan 2023 (Breakaway), and March 2023 (Prima again) - all Studios. If I want to relax in a larger space there's the Studio Lounge or, well, the whole rest of the ship...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

2 years ago on the Escape I booked an inside sail away room on the Tuesday before the Sunday sailing. To my surprise they placed me in a studio room, closest to the lounge which I like. Still not sure how the heck my steward came by to give me 2 more bottles of the sparkling wine but with the lounge I was able to get OJ every morning for mimosas and got the Vino package for wine. (Base fair was $399 no supplement ) 

• Like 1