Studio Staterooms

trbarton

6 hours ago, coastcat said:

The square footage comparison also doesn't take into account the size of the beds; a Studio cabin's bed is comparable to a twin-sized, IIRC. Remind me to bring a tape measure on my next cruise!

The design of a Studio - minimalist modern design, storage solutions that keep most stuff out of sight - brings a more airy feel to the space. It's still small, though, and someone with claustrophobia should probably avoid it (or at least tour a cabin before booking). Me, I love a cozy space. I'm on NCL in August 2021 (Encore), October 2021 (Bliss), Sept 2022 (Prima), Jan 2023 (Breakaway), and March 2023 (Prima again) - all Studios. If I want to relax in a larger space there's the Studio Lounge or, well, the whole rest of the ship...

I like the way you think (and book cruises, like me lol). I'm looking forward to trying the NCL "solo experience" (with the array of exclusive studio cabins in their own key-carded area and the studio lounge). I am sure I will be fine with the small sq ft of the studio cabin. As a cadet in a maritime academy my junior year, I had a very small room on our training ship. The school was allowed to use the training ship as a dorm during the school year. IIRC, the room I was in was the radio operator's room up high on "O" deck, right below the bridge deck. I remember that I could almost stand in the middle of that room and stretch my arms completely out and touch both bulkheads on both sides of the room. When I was in the room, I would always keep the door open to "give me more space" (lol). But, I actually liked that room the semester I was in it (one thing was - no roommate).

Ironically, my first 7 out 8 cruises is with RCI & Celebrity (due to RCI's 60% off the 2nd guest ongoing promo & their studio balcony cabins on their Quantum class ships and Celebrity's Single Veranda Staterooms on their Edge class ships). So, RCI & Celebrity are very "solo-friendly", imo. My first NCL cruise in a studio cabin is not until Oct 23, 2022 on the Norwegian Encore. But, it's a long 21-day "ocean-to-ocean" repo cruise from Seattle to Miami. So, I'll have 3 weeks to enjoy my little studio cabin on Encore!

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 12:01 PM, OctoberLace said:

I'm wondering if the NCL Studio cabins would be too tight for someone with claustrophobia.  I've only had a problem with that when I had an MRI, but I'd hate to book a cruise and have a similar response to tight quarters.  My late husband and I booked an inside cabin years ago on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas, and after one night I asked if there were any outside cabins available and got moved for only $50.  I could have tolerated it, but that was 120 sq. ft., so 97 sq. ft. including shower seems tight.  On the other hand, I've had absolutely no problem when I've booked an inside cabin on Cunard and Celebrity.

I am not claustrophobic, but it is unlikely I will ever book another NCL studio cabin. The term 'coffin' comes to my mind. Of course, I was on the epic and the neon and fluorescent lighting acted to also give me a trapped feeling. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it wouldn't be something I choose again given some of the new ships are coming out with solo balconies.

I doubt we will ever see another full blown quarantine, but there is a review posted on here from someone who became ill for a few days inside one of the solo studio cabins and it wasn't a pleasant experience for her to even get food delivered. Until I know how cruise ships are going to respond when they pass the threshold of passengers with covid I'm only booking balconies. I will also need a ship with PCR testing abilities because the risks of antigen tests are out of my comfort zone.

I say this with one exception. After covid settles down and there are no chances of being quarantined, I would be interested to try a NCL studio that has a virtual porthole letting in more natural light with something to actually view. Of course, the price would need to be fractions of a balcony.

I enjoyed the solo studio and had no panic attacks. Slept great, but I am not likely to choose it again. But I do say try it on a short cruise to see if you like it. Many people really enjoy the solo studio lounge. It just wasn't for me.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I would be interested to try a NCL studio that has a virtual porthole letting in more natural light with something to actually view.

I know what  you are trying to say but a "virtual" porthole isn't letting in "natural" light.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am not claustrophobic, but it is unlikely I will ever book another NCL studio cabin. The term 'coffin' comes to my mind. Of course, I was on the epic and the neon and fluorescent lighting acted to also give me a trapped feeling. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it wouldn't be something I choose again given some of the new ships are coming out with solo balconies.

I doubt we will ever see another full blown quarantine, but there is a review posted on here from someone who became ill for a few days inside one of the solo studio cabins and it wasn't a pleasant experience for her to even get food delivered. Until I know how cruise ships are going to respond when they pass the threshold of passengers with covid I'm only booking balconies. I will also need a ship with PCR testing abilities because the risks of antigen tests are out of my comfort zone.

I say this with one exception. After covid settles down and there are no chances of being quarantined, I would be interested to try a NCL studio that has a virtual porthole letting in more natural light with something to actually view. Of course, the price would need to be fractions of a balcony.

I enjoyed the solo studio and had no panic attacks. Slept great, but I am not likely to choose it again. But I do say try it on a short cruise to see if you like it. Many people really enjoy the solo studio lounge. It just wasn't for me.

If you love balconies, stick with balconies! I have five non-NCL cruises from September through May (two are short ones, but yes, I do get pretty good vacation time at work) with three of them in balconies.

To me, a balcony is not as necessary on a BA/BA+ ship because they offer The Waterfront; I can still drink my morning coffee while watching the sunset, but just need to change out of my pajamas first. Or not, it's not like anyone else is up & about at 5:30am on a cruise other than the crew...

As our house's primary bedroom is only 130 sq ft, mostly taken up by a king-sized bed, even an NCL Studio feels spacious - because that space is all mine, mine, mine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coastcat said:

To me, a balcony is not as necessary on a BA/BA+ ship because they offer The Waterfront

That's a great point, I hadn't thought of that. I love balcony cabins as well, that's why my booked cruises skew heavily toward RCI. With their 60% off the 2nd guest continual promo, I can book regular balcony cabins. On RCI's Quantum class ships, they have those studio balcony cabins. Then there's Celebrity, with their Single Infinite Veranda staterooms on their Edge class (Edge, Apex & Beyond) ships. Even us solo cruisers have choices.

20 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

That's a great point, I hadn't thought of that. I love balcony cabins as well, that's why my booked cruises skew heavily toward RCI. With their 60% off the 2nd guest continual promo, I can book regular balcony cabins. On RCI's Quantum class ships, they have those studio balcony cabins. Then there's Celebrity, with their Single Infinite Veranda staterooms on their Edge class (Edge, Apex & Beyond) ships. Even us solo cruisers have choices.

I'm looking forward to exploring MSC because its balconies are so affordable, even at 200% solo supplement. How solo-friendly the line is as a whole, we shall see (eventually).

Also, I am aware that morning coffee and sunset don't actually go together unless it's a really, really big cup of coffee. Oops, lol.

• Haha 1

As a solo traveler I started booking with NCL because of their solo, studio staterooms. The ironic thing is that every cruise I have booked with NCL the studios cost more than an inside staterooms. Since an inside has more sq footage, and I’m Pooh-sized, I wind up booking the inside. Then I bid $150 for a balcony and I always get it. Supply and demand!

• Like 4

I like big and small ships. Usually when I sail the big ships I book a studio and when I sail on the small ships I start with an inside or oceanview and bid up to balcony or minisuite. The last cruise I took was just a cheap last minute impulse cruise before my big 2020 cruises, and I didn’t bother bidding on an upgrade and sailed for the first time in one of NCL’s inside cabins.

I actually think the layout and space use in the studio is better than in an inside. You can actually move around in the studio, instead of having to shuffle around the bed. Also I find the studios to be very quite, since the hallway is keycard access, so only people can staying there can get in. So there isn’t the loud drunken hallway conversations in the middle of the night. Plus I like the beds not having a crack down the middle from getting pushed together. 

• Like 3

On 7/10/2021 at 2:56 PM, MorganClark said:

Yaay! Smaller studio cabins....just what we need. Thanks NCL 🤪.

Right?? If it weren’t for the Lounge, I wouldn’t book a studio. But I’ve met some fun people, and really like the daily meetings. 

• Like 2

Usually the NCL cruise staff will unlock the solo lounge at the daily meeting time, so that guests in the non-Studio cabins can join in the solo activities of the day.  Do any of the Studio staterooms have a mini-fridge in the room?  I would prefer it if they did.

On 7/11/2021 at 5:21 AM, coastcat said:

The square footage comparison also doesn't take into account the size of the beds; a Studio cabin's bed is comparable to a twin-sized, IIRC. Remind me to bring a tape measure on my next cruise!

The design of a Studio - minimalist modern design, storage solutions that keep most stuff out of sight - brings a more airy feel to the space. It's still small, though, and someone with claustrophobia should probably avoid it (or at least tour a cabin before booking). Me, I love a cozy space. I'm on NCL in August 2021 (Encore), October 2021 (Bliss), Sept 2022 (Prima), Jan 2023 (Breakaway), and March 2023 (Prima again) - all Studios. If I want to relax in a larger space there's the Studio Lounge or, well, the whole rest of the ship...

the bed in the studios on escape, getaway and breakaway are European double size rather than the US standard of Queen or King size.  I’ve spent enough nights in a twin (aka single) to know the studio bed wasn’t close to that small. I am suspicious that the beds on the newer ships with the virtual porthole are smaller as they certainly look smaller in the cabin pictures but that could be due to a larger overhang from the padded wall. There is an oddity in the design of the wall onto the corridor, it is thicker above the bed than it is alongside and below due to that padded area which gives the depth for the porthole/screen.

also for those who want the virtual window I assume you all know that the tv in the cabin has a channel showing the view from the bridge of the ship? It’s a tip I’ve seen regularly given to novice cruisers booking interior cabins. I don’t know how the “virtual” window differs from that except that it may be taking the view from a different camera. 

I did the Escape 2x in 2018- on the first one I was able to upgrade to the Balcony for $50, the second one a Canada/NE was entirely sold out due to only 3 September sailings and no upgrades were available.

I was disgruntled by my bad room service- some managers actually had to come and clean my room as my stewardess was dreadful. I would have asked for my DSC back but didn't think it was fair to the other employees who stepped in to help me.

I have an Alaska planned- but would be fine with the Studio as by then it would be close to 5 years since my last Escape.

1 hour ago, kelib said:

No to the mini fridges, at least on Epic, Getaway and Escape as far as I have seen. Have no clue where they would fit 

The Bliss/Encore Studios also lack a mini-fridge. I'm hoping they've added it to the Prima version but we won't know for a while.

Regarding the virtual window for Bliss & Encore - IIRC, it provides a side view similar to what you'd get in an oceanview cabin. Pair it with the bridge cam on TV and it's like being in a front-facing penthouse suite! Well, no, not really, but at least you can get a look at the weather before venturing out.

Okay, I will definitely pack a tape measure in the toiletries bag so we can figure out the actual bed size on Encore. I remember it as being narrower than a U.S. double, not sure how it would compare to a European one but whatever it was, I wouldn't want to try sharing it with another person. Maybe a medium-sized cat at most.

3 hours ago, eileeshb said:

the bed in the studios on escape, getaway and breakaway are European double size rather than the US standard of Queen or King size.  I’ve spent enough nights in a twin (aka single) to know the studio bed wasn’t close to that small. I am suspicious that the beds on the newer ships with the virtual porthole are smaller as they certainly look smaller in the cabin pictures but that could be due to a larger overhang from the padded wall. There is an oddity in the design of the wall onto the corridor, it is thicker above the bed than it is alongside and below due to that padded area which gives the depth for the porthole/screen.

also for those who want the virtual window I assume you all know that the tv in the cabin has a channel showing the view from the bridge of the ship? It’s a tip I’ve seen regularly given to novice cruisers booking interior cabins. I don’t know how the “virtual” window differs from that except that it may be taking the view from a different camera. 

You are correct about the bed size and also about the padded area where the virtual window is.  I just pulled my bed away from the wall every night and gained that extra 5-6 inches (not that I needed it).  The virtual window gives the same view as what you would see from either the port or starboard side (depending on which hallway your cabin is closer to) as if you had an outside.

I share the bridge cam tip often for new cruisers in a studio or inside...I leave it on all night (it is dark so the screen in black) with the sound on mute, then as the sun comes up in the morning, the room slowly lightens up.  I check to see if we are in port and either get up or go back to sleep.

I booked my first Studio in September on the Encore. The studio cabins are on decks 10,11,12.  The main entrance to the studios appears to be on deck 11. Is there an entrance at all on deck 10 or 12?  I mean surely there must be emergency exits on 10 and 12.  I didn't want to be on deck 11 in case of a wild party in the lounge so I moved to deck 12.  I need quiet.  😴

28 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I booked my first Studio in September on the Encore. The studio cabins are on decks 10,11,12.  The main entrance to the studios appears to be on deck 11. Is there an entrance at all on deck 10 or 12?  I mean surely there must be emergency exits on 10 and 12.  I didn't want to be on deck 11 in case of a wild party in the lounge so I moved to deck 12.  I need quiet.  😴

Just a fyi - don't know when your cruise is or if you specifically want a studio, but last I knew, solo rate is reduced(150%) on Encore from 9/25 thru 10/16.

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Yeah, don't worry about wild parties in the Studio Lounge. It's not that kind of place!

There are multiple entrances into the card-controlled Studio area on each of the three decks. The Studio Lounge is on 11 with staircase access from 10 and 12. If you have mobility issues and cannot use the stairs, you'll have to leave the Studio area to use an elevator if you want to access the Lounge.