Celebrity cancels Oz/NZ cruises at least up to 21 December

Received via TA this morning.  No surprise but another disappointment.

7 July 2021

Dear Celebrity Guest,

We are reaching out to provide an update on the status of your 2021 cruise holiday. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety measures. As we thoughtfully plan our return to service, we are evaluating all current itineraries and the status of travel conditions around the world. Regrettably, the situation in Australia and New Zealand remains uncertain, therefore out of an abundance of caution, we will be cancelling seven Celebrity Eclipse® sailings departing 18 October through 21 December 2021. We sincerely apologise for having to cancel these sailings as we’re sure you are eager to enjoy the refreshing experience of traveling once again. Please know that your Celebrity family anxiously awaits the opportunity to show you the world. At this time, we would like to offer you the choice of being re-accommodated on another Celebrity Cruises holiday or receiving a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) or a 100% Refund

So this means Royal will cancel also. Only surprised by 2 things:

1. that they took so long to do it, and

2. that they are only cancelling up to December. 

I thought for sure lines would kick the whole season. I've got a Jan 08 2022 booked, so it's hanging on by a thread, but I fully expect it to be cancelled. 

15 minutes ago, VanessaNJ said:

I thought for sure lines would kick the whole season. I've got a Jan 08 2022 booked, so it's hanging on by a thread, but I fully expect it to be cancelled. 

Perhaps they have been given some encouragement to believe that a restart is possible from late December onwards. Some of the other cruise lines havecalso only cancelled to mid-December. We can but hope.

Well I suspect that they will end up cancelling our cruise in about a month. Of course that is simply academic now for us anyway. Although Celebrity is still booking the sailing I am booked on, maybe they will cancel and we can get some "compensation" although I doubt it. The deposit is fully refundable so we'll get that back. Meanwhile we are more than a year away from our next cruise and I have more than a few reservations about the Princess medallion thing. Sounds like it has a whole swarm of bugs in it.

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I suspect that they will end up cancelling our cruise in about a month. Of course that is simply academic now for us anyway. Although Celebrity is still booking the sailing I am booked on, maybe they will cancel and we can get some "compensation" although I doubt it. The deposit is fully refundable so we'll get that back. Meanwhile we are more than a year away from our next cruise and I have more than a few reservations about the Princess medallion thing. Sounds like it has a whole swarm of bugs in it.

You'll probably get offered the option of a refund, or FCC with a bit extra if you leave your money with Celebrity.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

You'll probably get offered the option of a refund, or FCC with a bit extra if you leave your money with Celebrity.

That's what I figure Julie. We have no idea when we may cruise with Celebrity again. Right now we are not looking much past the New York to Quebec City trip starting at the end of August next year. The deposit on the cancelled NZ cruise is almost $1,000.00 so I think we'll get that back.

2 hours ago, VanessaNJ said:

Royal Caribbean International (RCI) has cancelled Quantum of the Seas’ season sailing from the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal from Oct 2021 to Apr 2022. The cruise line made the decision due to the ongoing uncertainty around the opening of international borders, with Ovation of the Seas’ sailing from Sydney on 16 Oct also cancelled. Two Honolulu sailings have also been cancelled - the 28 Sep Ovation voyage the 07 Oct Serenade of the Seas cruise. “We know many of our guests look forward to a return to cruising and we are sorry for the disappointment and inconvenience these cancellations may cause,” RCI said, noting the cancellations represented about a third of the planned Australian 2021/22 season. Impacted guests and travel agents have been contacted to advise them of their available options.

I was really hoping this one would happen, but I think the cancelation was inevitable.   I had some questions in case anyone knows...

- If I paid the full cruise fare then will my FCC be 125% of the full fare or just the initial deposit?

- If I choose to use FCC on the HK to SIN cruises in Dec and they get cancelled as well, then can I get full fare * 125% * 125%?

- How long are discounts taking to process?

I am on the 2022 March 31 39 day HAL New Zealand to Australia to Seattle cruise. Some people on the cruise are now starting to get notifications that the cruise has been cancelled / moved to Spring 2023. "Official" Cancellations will be in a couple of weeks...

That 2022 cruise no longer shows up on HALs web-site, and the 2023 cruise is available but all Balconies and Suites are fully booked (Just like the 2022 cruise was).

4 hours ago, ScreamWithMe said:

I was really hoping this one would happen, but I think the cancelation was inevitable.   I had some questions in case anyone knows...

- If I paid the full cruise fare then will my FCC be 125% of the full fare or just the initial deposit?

- If I choose to use FCC on the HK to SIN cruises in Dec and they get cancelled as well, then can I get full fare * 125% * 125%?

- How long are discounts taking to process?

You will get 125% of what you paid.

They are going to be busy so it will probably take 6 weeks to process.

You have a time limit to use the credit and prices are through the roof.

For me ,I’m going to get a refund and see what happens with both cruises and prices.

• Like 1