Return testing for Canadians

I just reached out to Carnival on their facebook page and asked if they assist Canadians with obtaining a return PCR or NAAT test 72 hours prior to the end of the cruise. They said they were just asked this yesterday and can confirm they do NOT do this.

So looks like cruisers will need to stay a couple of extra days to get tested at i.e., Walgreens, get results, then fly home.  Not the end of the world, but that will add a few hundred dollars to the vacation budget for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I just reached out to Carnival on their facebook page and asked if they assist Canadians with obtaining a return PCR or NAAT test 72 hours prior to the end of the cruise. They said they were just asked this yesterday and can confirm they do NOT do this.

So looks like cruisers will need to stay a couple of extra days to get tested at i.e., Walgreens, get results, then fly home.  Not the end of the world, but that will add a few hundred dollars to the vacation budget for sure.

You might lobby young Trudeau to ease those restrictions in Canada, too.

• Like 2

My understanding is you need a PCR test within 72 hours of coming back to Canada.  If you’re coming off a cruise and want to fly home the same day it’s not convenient to go to a drug store.  In our case, we will book an appointment in Puerto Vallarta which is the last stop on our cruise and will have the results emailed within two days, cost $75.  I will also have a back up plan to get it at the Airport for $125, result within four hours.  One should note you need a antigen test before entering the U.S. from Canada, Life Labs $75, Shoppers $40.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

You might lobby young Trudeau to ease those restrictions in Canada, too.

🤣🤣🤣.....oh wait your serious??  He just said yesterday the border wont open to unvaccinated people for a very very long time.  Was surprised he let the 14 day quarantine and mandatory hotel stay for those that are vaccinated be removed.  Still hoping this testing requirement gets lifted before November cruise but im not holding my breath with that guy. 

23 minutes ago, janewe said:

My understanding is you need a PCR test within 72 hours of coming back to Canada.  If you’re coming off a cruise and want to fly home the same day it’s not convenient to go to a drug store.  In our case, we will book an appointment in Puerto Vallarta which is the last stop on our cruise and will have the results emailed within two days, cost $75.  I will also have a back up plan to get it at the Airport for $125, result within four hours.  One should note you need a antigen test before entering the U.S. from Canada, Life Labs $75, Shoppers $40.

So PCR to come back but only an Antigen to go?  i think ive read the requirements like a hundred times and still get mixed up.  Have extended my stay by three days to get the test in LA before my flight home but may see about getting it in Ensenada while im there.  Hopefully its an accepted test being from Mexico.

2 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Right?! So annoying. 

I know the Rapid ID NOW (NAAT) tests are accepted and free, as some Canadians are using those when returning home from Florida.

Where do you get these from?

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

So PCR to come back but only an Antigen to go?  i think ive read the requirements like a hundred times and still get mixed up.  Have extended my stay by three days to get the test in LA before my flight home but may see about getting it in Ensenada while im there.  Hopefully its an accepted test being from Mexico.

Canada accepts PCR or NAAT tests to return home. You can find a list of accepted tests here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada#getting-tested

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I have also been asking about this..considering booking for August after WDW (only way our dates work) and need test day of to go back to Canada, apparently Advent Health offers same day PCR at MCO.  Apparently Walgreens also offer NAAT but not same day as far as what I have read on their site.

• Like 1

Just now, petuniaflower said:

I have also been asking about this..considering booking for August after WDW (only way our dates work) and need test day of to go back to Canada, apparently Advent Health offers same day PCR at MCO.  Apparently Walgreens also offer NAAT but not same day as far as what I have read on their site.

I have read from some not to rely on the same day test at MCO that Advent Health has run out in the past even though they have appointments booked.  The Walgreens ones have all come back with 24-48 hours for the folks that I know of. Some even got them back within hours.

Just now, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I have read from some not to rely on the same day test at MCO that Advent Health has run out in the past even though they have appointments booked.  The Walgreens ones have all come back with 24-48 hours for the folks that I know of. Some even got them back within hours.

I have heard that many got Walgreens ones back in a few hours, but would need to know for sure as leaving it to last day.  The stories from Advent make me nervous, but hoped with an appt and before noon time slot we should be ok..ugh the risk Im willing to take to get on a ship again..

I posted a few links on another thread.

Most airports do PCR tests within an hour.

You don't need to stay later. You just need to make sure your flight leaves at a time that allows your test to come back.

Remember to download the ArriveCan app.

You also need to get testing to come into the U.S.

Shoppers Drug Mart does testing but there is no issues getting the test before you leave.

I was listening to Trudeau talking borders and hopefully the testing requirement will lifted for vaccinated Canadians on July 21st.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I posted a few links on another thread.

Most airports do PCR tests within an hour.

You don't need to stay later. You just need to make sure your flight leaves at a time that allows your test to come back.

Remember to download the ArriveCan app.

You also need to get testing to come into the U.S.

Shoppers Drug Mart does testing but there is no issues getting the test before you leave.

I was listening to Trudeau talking borders and hopefully the testing requirement will lifted for vaccinated Canadians on July 21st.

The testing being lifted for vaxxed people would be amazing..crossing my fingers!

And yes, Ive read of the antigen ones at shoppers for $40:)

• Like 1