Best Iceland/Norway itinerary?

khuselid

Hi all,

I am trying to get my brother and SIL hooked on Oceania. We have not cruised with them before and all they have done is RCL. They mentioned wanting to see Norway (land of our people). We have done Montreal to London via Greenland, Iceland, Norway etc.....I am sure they wouldn't want one that long so thinking of 14 days or so. I see 2022 is totally booked. Someone mentioned (gasp) that Viking actually does an excellent job with Norway.....however I do want to share Oceania with them. Would prefer not to do the Baltic again. 

What are your favorite Iceland/Norway itineraries on O? I see I may have to wait until the 2023 schedule shows up.

Thanks all!!

Kim

We did  one several years ago that went to Svalbard

I love Norway no matter what the ports are 

but  one that goes to Honningsvaag  would be on some people's bucket list

Flam  we enjoyed &  finally got to do the train trip

• Like 1

One of the best bus excursions I have done recently is tendering ashore at Hellesylt and rejoining the ship in Geiranger. I think it was also this one where we walked to Briksdal Glacier which is just past Olden.

A long day, but full of very different sights and activities.

It is South East of Alesund, and the Geirangerfjord is a nice scenic transit.

This wasn't with Oceania, but look out for that on an itinerary.

This cruise also went to Svalbard, which at 78 North was an interesting stop ....in good weather.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Your BEST option is ALWAYS immediately at the time of the itinerary releases in April and September, or there about.  Getting on a Waitlist is not a bad thing to do and see where you end up by your self imposed cancellation date. Also, when you are aboard, especially if it’s on those Itinerary release dates, your BEST FRIEND will be the Oceania Club Ambassador so let them know what you are interested in. They will make it happen!

IMHO the September Itinerary release will be a real feeding frenzy because so many of the current itineraries are booked and Waitlisted and definitely picked over for specific accommodations. Good luck 🚢🥂🙏🍷👍

Gerry and Bonnie

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:28 PM, Tranquility Base said:

One of the best bus excursions I have done recently is tendering ashore at Hellesylt and rejoining the ship in Geiranger. I think it was also this one where we walked to Briksdal Glacier which is just past Olden.

A long day, but full of very different sights and activities.

It is South East of Alesund, and the Geirangerfjord is a nice scenic transit.

This wasn't with Oceania, but look out for that on an itinerary.

This cruise also went to Svalbard, which at 78 North was an interesting stop ....in good weather.

We also did a similar excursion, except we hiked the entire day.   Walking along the glacier lake, some even jumped in because it was a very warm day, was wonderful.  By the time we got to Geiranger  the other cruises ship had already left so there were just a few people in the normally mobbed town.  It was expensive as we had to use Oceania's expensive excursion but worth it, IMO

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:34 PM, khuselid said:

Hi all,

I am trying to get my brother and SIL hooked on Oceania. We have not cruised with them before and all they have done is RCL. They mentioned wanting to see Norway (land of our people). We have done Montreal to London via Greenland, Iceland, Norway etc.....I am sure they wouldn't want one that long so thinking of 14 days or so. I see 2022 is totally booked. Someone mentioned (gasp) that Viking actually does an excellent job with Norway.....however I do want to share Oceania with them. Would prefer not to do the Baltic again. 

What are your favorite Iceland/Norway itineraries on O? I see I may have to wait until the 2023 schedule shows up.

Thanks all!!

Kim

Generally we prefer Oceania over Viking but we did do this itinerary on Viking and it was a great cruise. The one we went on is called Iceland's Majestic Landscape. We started in Bergen, Norway which is very charming. We visited the fjords with stops in Flam, Alesund, and Geiranger. On the way over to Iceland we stopped in the Faroe Islands. When we got to Iceland we had port stops in Seydisfjördur, Akureyri, ĺsafjördur, and finally Reykjavík. When we ended the cruise we stayed a few days in Reykjavik and did some private tours of the South Coast and Golden Circle. It was a spectacular cruise and the tours we did afterwards were amazing!  

Edited by Carol From California
  • Like 1