Advice on extension cord needed

4 hours ago, cleanandsober88 said:

I like that they specifically call out no surge protection for use on cruise ships:

Compact Design That Fit for Travel: Cruise Ship Accessories and travel Power Strip - NO surge protection, it's absolutely a must have as Travel and Cruise Ship accessories, especially on Cruise lines that require the power strips DO NOT have Surge Protection.

8 hours ago, dusty1117 said:

On the Carnival Freedom, How long an extension cord should I bring for a CPAC machine?

It's always smart to bring your own, but I also always request one from the the cruise line in advance of sailing. We almost always have one in the cabin upon boarding. However, I always pack a spare just in case. Ours is about 8 feet long, fairly heavy duty, without a surge protector or additional outlets. Using that style has never been questioned by any cruise line. It's used just for the CPAP machine if anyone asks <they might>. My wife's CPAP has a pretty long cord itself....maybe 5-6 feet.

If the cruise line supplies an extension cord, it will likely be super heavy duty and very long, like 20 feet; at least in our experience. Princess did that I remember, can't remember our last cruise on Carnival.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

On 7/10/2021 at 4:36 PM, TerReuv said:

We take a multi-plug & USB outlet and then just take a regular extension cord.  No worries about that being taken.  Plus, you can get any length you want for the extension cord and any household one will work.

image.png.7dddfa9dbb3e36fb7ad66ef42ba79485.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FJXVW6/?coliid=I1QO0UI6W4LBD0&colid=3JWV286120WEQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This doesn't have a surge protector and it gives you 3 USB ports & 3 outlets.  

Great find .. Thank you 

On 7/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, TerReuv said:

We take a multi-plug & USB outlet and then just take a regular extension cord.  No worries about that being taken.  Plus, you can get any length you want for the extension cord and any household one will work.

image.png.7dddfa9dbb3e36fb7ad66ef42ba79485.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FJXVW6/?coliid=I1QO0UI6W4LBD0&colid=3JWV286120WEQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This doesn't have a surge protector and it gives you 3 USB ports & 3 outlets.  

Nifty little plug. Only caveat is that it by itself may not be small enough to plug into some of the ships' outlets due to them being reset. However, it would plug into the common extension cord you mentioned. We have something like your plug, but it's nowhere near as compact.😉

On 7/23/2021 at 8:04 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

It's always smart to bring your own, but I also always request one from the the cruise line in advance of sailing.

How/where does one request an extension cord in advance?  We're going to have two CPAPs in our room of 4 people, and I'd love to save a little room  in our carry-on-only suitcases.

26 minutes ago, LoveMySofa said:

How/where does one request an extension cord in advance?  We're going to have two CPAPs in our room of 4 people, and I'd love to save a little room  in our carry-on-only suitcases.

On the online check in under GUEST INFORMATION where if anyone has any Medical Conditions.

image.thumb.png.be0f918607d180854032bd97bc2bd907.png

5 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

On the online check in under GUEST INFORMATION where if anyone has any Medical Conditions.

Oh, thank you so much!   I'll be able to do check in, in a few days, and I'll look for it then.

14 hours ago, LoveMySofa said:

Oh, thank you so much!   I'll be able to do check in, in a few days, and I'll look for it then.

I was not able to find that section for our November 2022 cruise. Perhaps it is too early. I had completed all the other "check in" sections on Princess.com a long time ago.

However, in December 2020 I received email confirmation from Princess for both an extension cord and distilled water for my wife's CPAP machine. Naturally now I am looking for that email I cannot find it to give you the email address. Hopefully someone else can find it. I think it was something like GuestServices????

Doug

On 7/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

So, I was able to do Check In today.  I reached the part where it asks about Medical Conditions, and I clicked Other, which seems like the only option for using a CPAP machine.  However, that's all there was.  After clicking through that, it went to the next section. 

I read somewhere (I assume that it was on the Carnival site versus an email that was sent to me) that one can pre-order distilled water for CPAPs, by contacting Room Service, and perhaps an extension cord can also be requested that way.  I have no idea how to contact Room Service though! 

22 minutes ago, LoveMySofa said:

So, I was able to do Check In today.  I reached the part where it asks about Medical Conditions, and I clicked Other, which seems like the only option for using a CPAP machine.  However, that's all there was.  After clicking through that, it went to the next section. 

I read somewhere (I assume that it was on the Carnival site versus an email that was sent to me) that one can pre-order distilled water for CPAPs, by contacting Room Service, and perhaps an extension cord can also be requested that way.  I have no idea how to contact Room Service though! 

I  recently sent an email to Princess Captain's Circle (captainscircle@princesscruises.com), which was the only email address I could find to ask about an extension cord for our CPAP machine. Here is their reply:

"..Good day,

Thank you so much for your email. Unfortunately, Captain's Circle is unable to assist you with this request. Please call our Reservations department (which does not have email access) at 1-800-774-6237.  Please be advised at this time due to current situations the hold time may be extended.  We appreciate your understanding. 

I think calling the Reservations department for this is not appropriate, which is the reply I sent to them. I have not heard back yet, nor have I called that number. It's still some time until our cruise. I simply wanted to confirm what my prior posting said......my Princess record ought to still have approval for the extension cord and distilled water, but it never hurts to verify.

Doug

On 7/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I also ordered distilled water to be used in the CPAP machines, rather than attempt to buy any to carry on, during our trip to the port from the airport.

I found a number to call on the Carnival website, but it didn't go anywhere.  I tried other numbers, with the same luck.  I eventually called the Carnival number that's at the top of the webpage, and got help there.  Distilled water can be pre-ordered through the Fun Shops, and should appear in our cabin before the first evening of our trip.  It was about $3.50 for a gallon.  I also asked about extension cords, and was told that they do not have any to offer, and should bring my own, or I could ask my steward if they could get one.  I'd rather not risk there not being one, so we will be bringing our own.  So, requesting one in advance, like PaperSniper4 said, must be on another cruise line than Carnival.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoveMySofa said:

I also ordered distilled water to be used in the CPAP machines, rather than attempt to buy any to carry on, during our trip to the port from the airport.

I found a number to call on the Carnival website, but it didn't go anywhere.  I tried other numbers, with the same luck.  I eventually called the Carnival number that's at the top of the webpage, and got help there.  Distilled water can be pre-ordered through the Fun Shops, and should appear in our cabin before the first evening of our trip.  It was about $3.50 for a gallon.  I also asked about extension cords, and was told that they do not have any to offer, and should bring my own, or I could ask my steward if they could get one.  I'd rather not risk there not being one, so we will be bringing our own.  So, requesting one in advance, like PaperSniper4 said, must be on another cruise line than Carnival.

Thank you for posting this current info from the "horse's mouth". And I apologize for putting out bad info on requesting a cord in advance. I was thinking of Princess. I have cruises scheduled on both Carnival and Princess and I apparently forget on which forum I am posting sometimes! Often when I go to reply to a thread I am following I don't notice on which Forum I am posting. So please forgive my mistake!😳

So, follow the advice of LoveMySofa - btw, what a grand forum name!😎

Doug aka PaperSniper4

• 3 weeks later...

Back from our trip.  My advice is to not tell them anything about you bringing a CPAP!  We got pulled during the first security screening at the port.  Had to go upstairs to (don't remember the name) where we thought that they might have to have sticks put up their noses for a covid test.  They got cleared (without the test!), and we got to go to a special shorter line for the second security screening.  Failed that one, too, twice.  Apparently, our boarding passes were supposed to have gotten a stamp somewhere, which they did not get, so had to be cleared for those.  And at every one of these stops, my husband and son were asked for by name, and then asked whether they had their CPAP machines with them.  When we were finally cleared and headed to the gangway, had to give our boarding passes and passports again just before going out the door, and they were asked again.  And when we got up the gangway to the ship, they were asked again.  Later in the evening after we finally were allowed to our cabin, we got a phone call, asking whether they had successfully brought their machines with them.  In the morning, they each got a letter about it, hoping that everything was going okay for them.  It was ridiculous.

However...  the distilled water was in the cabin when we got there.  (The whole gallon got completely used up by two people for a week long cruise.) And there was also a power strip (no surge protector) on the bed. 

The one outlet in the room was across the room from the beds, so we strung up our extension cords to reach for them, and that worked well.  (see the picture)  I took several clips that had magnets on the back, which worked to hold the cord to the ceiling.  It took 2 fifteen foot extension cords to reach, so be prepared!

We used Seattle Express both ways, and they have a slight discount for booking both ways, so that worked out to be a good price for 4 of us.  We even got a little commentary about sights on the way to the ship.  Seattle Express had vehicles running every 15 minutes on the return of the ship, and they separated vehicles into people going to the airport and those going to hotels.

cpap.jpg

On 7/25/2021 at 4:33 PM, LoveMySofa said:

There are no guarantees that you will get an extension cord and if you do, it'll be an industrial like thick one that you can easily trip over.

My wife and I both use CPAP's and I bring one 15 ft cord from Lowes that I got for 4.00, plug it in and run both of our machines to it.