Geo Blue Trekker or Alliantz Annual Policies age limit

molly361

I thought I read that GEO Trekkers you have to be under 85.  I am putting my husband is and he is 85 and it will let me purchase a policy.  Does anyone know if there IS an age limit, can't find anything on their site

Also is there an age limit for Alliantz annual policies?  Does not look like it  Thanks

33 minutes ago, erber said:

I was looking at GEO Blue and I thought it said you have to be under 95 years old. Maybe I misread it?

Thanks  I'll have to look again  Must be 95  RoanRights Plan kicked me right out when I put in DH age as 85.  I emailed them to ask

Edited by molly361

Our concern with Geo BlueTrekker is that while it does cover treatment for covid,  it does not cover medical evacuation for covid. So presumably you have to remain abroad to be treated.

This issue may be moot because the trip of concern we want to take is a cruise on Princess to South America/Antarctica in late December. I suspect air travel from the U.S. to Chile and return from Argentina may not be permitted at that time so the cruise most likely won't occur.

We also have two Caribbean cruises and one Alaska cruise booked but aren't really as concerned about this issue with respect to those cruises.

24 minutes ago, erber said:

Our concern with Geo BlueTrekker is that while it does cover treatment for covid,  it does not cover medical evacuation for covid. So presumably you have to remain abroad to be treated.

This issue may be moot because the trip of concern we want to take is a cruise on Princess to South America/Antarctica in late December. I suspect air travel from the U.S. to Chile and return from Argentina may not be permitted at that time so the cruise most likely won't occur.

We also have two Caribbean cruises and one Alaska cruise booked but aren't really as concerned about this issue with respect to those cruises.

Does the Alliantz cover covid?  We are vaccinated so hopefully even if we caught it evacuation would not be necessary, knock on wood.  I am not very good about getting insurance.  Only had it a couple of times and it was more to cover CFAR on expensive sailings than it was for medical

I don't know about Allianz. We had GeoBlue for our prior Antarctica trip ( Dec 2919). We bought the annual policy because we had lots of cruises booked, but of course after covid...a bunch were cancelled. Honestly, we only got it for medical concerns. We "self insure" for trip cancellation type issues.

• Like 1

I think there are COVID evacuation issues with many (if not all) policies.  The problem is that private air ambulance services (which is used as a last resort) are not all equipped to deal with COVID.  But folks need to consider a few things about air evacuation.  If one is so sick with COVID that they need to be in a hospital it is very likely that they will not be approved for air evacuation.  Nearly all evacuation policies require both the attending and receiving physicians to consent to air evacuation as well as the advance approval of the insurance company.   The truth is that a majority of approved air evacuation is done on commercial airlines (often in lay flat seats) and they will not take active COVID cases.

Speaking of Geoblue Trekker (the annual policy)  some folks may not be aware that they do reduce the coverage amount at age 70 from $250,000 to $100,000,    We are big fans of the GeoBlue annual Trekker policy and have found it best fits our own travel habit.  As far as cancelation/interruption we do not buy those kind of policies and simply depend on our Chase Sapphire card which includes $10,000 per person (up to $20,000 total) of that coverage.  However, like most cancelation coverages given via credit cards (AMEX Platinum also has something similar) the cancelation/interruption must be for very good cause.  We are not talking about "cancel for any reason" coverage for which we have never seen a personal need.

Hank

• Thanks 2