Capsule Cruise Wardrobe, Ladies 60 plus

On 6/20/2021 at 8:54 AM, JamieLogical said:

The downside of the ones you posted are they are open toe. 🙁

I will be 60 at the end of this year. We haven't been on a lot of cruises, about 5 at this point, but we enjoyed them a lot and plan on more. 

I've done the last few cruises in carry-on luggage only. It is easy for warm weather cruises. Some of my tips: choose one pair of shoes for evenings. I have a pair of dressy black sandals, and also gold, depending on what dresses/outfits I bring. The gold go with pretty much everything so they've been my "go to" evening shoes for the last couple of cruises.

I like to work out on a cruise, so I wear my running shoes which are the heaviest and bulkiest of my shoes anyway. Then I pack one pair of evening shoes, and a pair of casual walking sandals. That's all you need! Oh and sometimes I bring a pair of water shoes.

Another way to pack light is to wear the same dress for at least two evenings. I will wear a necklace with it one night and a pretty scarf the other night. It is fun to make an outfit different using accessories. The only caution I have is that if you bring a lot of scarves - which I did! - they can take up a lot of room too. So be mindful of what scarves you bring too. 

I have found some beautiful reversible dresses at Chico's and also WHBM. So two dresses are good for four nights, or even 8, if you switch up the accessories! Even if you wear with the same accessories multiple nights, WHO CARES! I won't wear the same dress on consecutive nights, but will often wear one dress at the beginning and then again midway and/or at the end. 

Two pairs of shorts, 2-3 tops, and my workout outfit. That's basically it. Toiletries are easy, I pour my favorite shampoo/conditioner, face wash etc. into 2 oz tubes and away I go. They easily last a couple of weeks. You don't need much and I have a lot of hair. I will also wear a headband, or scarf, in my hair for nights I don't feel like washing my hair. 

My only issue now is deciding what to bring and what stays home. The last few years I'm even more mindful when buying clothes to think about how they will mix and match with what I have. AND....I don't buy any more COCKTAIL or EVENING dresses! I have probably 15 beautiful cocktail dresses that I hardly wear. These days, if I buy a dress, it is something very casual, usually maxi length, and can be worn very casually during the day and dressed up at night. No more one and done clothing!!

• Like 3

I'm in my late fifties now and find working with a base colour of Navy works for most things. 

The dress in the pictures is a polyester/crepe and it travels beautifully due to its crinkle texture. I change its look with these two little jackets and also a pale blue cardigan and a silver wrap and different jewellery. The good part is that all the four accessories can also be worn with a couple pairs of navy trousers(pants) a pair that i usually travel and day trip in and a dressier pair for evenings. 

20200215_115952.jpg

20200215_120439.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/19/2021 at 4:29 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Great idea 2BACruiser.

Would love a dress like that, but my preferred base colour would be black..I shall keep a look out for something similar. Would love to know where you bought it if you don’t mind sharing.

Thanks.

Its from Kaleidoscope www.kaleidoscope.co.uk 

Their brand Heine do some good dresses but their sizes are small  i'm a 14 and need a 16 from them lol

hth

7 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Its from Kaleidoscope www.kaleidoscope.co.uk 

Their brand Heine do some good dresses but their sizes are small  i'm a 14 and need a 16 from them lol

hth

Thanks, so much, can’t see anything at the moment, but will keep an eye out as Christmas collection comes in..not cruising till Spring 2022..if we’re lucky with borders re opening.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'll join in 🙂  Chiffon is your friend.  Whether poly or silk, chiffon weighs nothing and rolls up tiny.  So if you use, say, a base of black pants and a black camisole, you can put a variety of chiffon tops over and completely change your look.  Even with a lining, chiffon dresses are also so easy to pack.  I agree with the single pair of heels...my go-to at the moment is a pair of Lotus pumps in bordeaux.  They go with every colour!  And leopard print flats...same thing and I can use them in port.  All the standard things, of course...wear your heavy/bulky stuff, stuff your shoes with socks, etc.  And get out your kitchen scale to weigh everything individually. It can be an eye-opener.   Even underwear can weigh significantly more depending on the brand. (I refuse to wash underwear on a cruise...I bring enough for the whole trip)  

Our next  cruise is no-fly, and I'm letting myself bring some heavy formal wear.  But I once did a 10 day winter Mediterranean with carry-on...including cocktail dresses! 🙂 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Being a serious dancer shoes are my name. We have a tradition that requires dancing every night on a cruise. I have 2 pairs (minimum) of dance shoes. One sparkly dress ballroom shoes and one black lace up  1.5" heel. Sometime I'll take a jazz shoe as well but those take up no more space than a thick pair of socks. Black palazzo pants with 2-3 dressy tops unless I'm going on Cunard where I will take appropriate clothes for their themed gala night.   I will take either a pair of white palazzo pants or white lace dress for the white them night. Since that dress is just below the knee it sucks like a T-shirt. Good quality "office" appropriate styled yoga pants and boots block or print t-****. Sadly my favorite from the Segunda Familia gift shop shirt  is now too worn to take with me anymore. Pair or two of jeans if going to cooler climates or travel shorts for warmer weather. Waterproof windbreaker and for cooler climates a fleece.  Usually one light sweater for those cool a/c parts of the ship.  Colder weather trips replace a couple t-shirts with long sleevespecially and a pullover.  Two swimsuits and a T-shirt dress for a cover up. Clark sandals to wear with shorts and swimsuit and a good supportive casual shoe,  usually Clarks,  Brees or Sketchers. Easily fits in a bag with assorted device charges,  flat iron, toiletries. Carry on has DSLR,  whatever lenses are appropriate for our trip,  medications,  ipad and/or laptop depending on trip ((plus their chargers),  medications and a change clothes and undergarments,  one of the swimsuits and whatever paperwork might be needed,l.