Capsule Cruise Wardrobe, Ladies 60 plus

Have done more than 25 cruises with various cruise lines..however, I am a serial over packer !

As time goes by and we start to look forward to our next cruise, interested to have some ideas on a capsule wardrobe for Caribbean cruises with two formal nights.

I am guilty of having to pay excess luggage weight charges, packing 7-8 pairs of shoes and taking half of what I packed home and unworn. Have tried Vivienne Files and other online suggestions, but still not confident I can keep well within weight allowance and not cause my husband to have a hernia !

Please suggest something suitable for over 60s.

Many thanks.

I'm 55 & I've been considering this set:

https://www.travelsmith.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=114,5494&T1=MB2059+BKML+XL

They also have another set but the pieces must be bought separately--top, pants, dress & jacket.

I lover that everything is based in black & REVERSIBLE. 

Wrinkle free & easy to hand wash. 

I'm concerned they might be a bit heavy for warm weather cruises.

I have done a 7 day Caribbean cruise in a carry on & backpack. 

Key is dark pants, skirt, dress & shorts with several lightweight bright tops. 

Swimsuit (just 1!) & coverup.

Flip flops, walking sandals & dressy shoes.

Scarves & accessories to change things up.

THAT IS IT!

• Like 3

I'm nearly 60 (ouch!), and XL.  I'm a carry on traveller normally - but for cruising we totally overpacked on  our first and only cruise. Won't be doing that again - so now I want to be able to have just one checked bag between the 2 of us. We are packing only for hot (Caribbean in August and Europe) weather so that makes life easier. But Cunard - which is making life NOT easier LOL. Its a 39 day cruise with (probably) about 

For hot weather I avoid polyester - prefer silk, cellulose, viscose, light weight merino. Cotton can be OK if very light.  I have a long black dress which must be 30 years old, is flattering, and rolls in a ball. It works well either as a dress, or can look like a long skirt with a top.  I try for layers which can dress up or down. 

So formal - long dress and  sari top formal.thumb.JPG.38d14da3f546c52a9cc3699aa146a4e4.JPG

Smart casual evening - black trousers,  gold top and  same shrug 

smart.JPG

Same trousers and top -  necklace - again for a smart casual evening 

smartcasual.JPG

Edited by lissie
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, KKB said:

I'm 55 & I've been considering this set:

https://www.travelsmith.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=114,5494&T1=MB2059+BKML+XL

They also have another set but the pieces must be bought separately--top, pants, dress & jacket.

I lover that everything is based in black & REVERSIBLE. 

Wrinkle free & easy to hand wash. 

I'm concerned they might be a bit heavy for warm weather cruises.

I have done a 7 day Caribbean cruise in a carry on & backpack. 

Key is dark pants, skirt, dress & shorts with several lightweight bright tops. 

Swimsuit (just 1!) & coverup.

Flip flops, walking sandals & dressy shoes.

Scarves & accessories to change things up.

THAT IS IT!

I think I could do that 2 - its the man who can't do the carry on because of the requirement for a suit plus another jacket on Cunard - and formal shoes. I do take   2 swimsuits though one of which is a tankini- the top of which can double for active wear or day wear . 

I think double layer polyester in that link would be far too hot for the tropics - and if you have to wash the tops frequently is it any saving over having 2  different tps which are each 1/2 the weight? I never run out of space - its more about the weight and bulk 

smart.JPG

I agree about taking two items instead of reversible items which will be double the weight. Not sure about taking black either…tend to wear too much black during the year. Maybe the Travel smith set would be good for a cold weather cruise, but it wouldn’t be for me in the Caribbean. Thanks for the suggestion though, KKB.

Like how you have re used items, Lissie, but wear gold jewellery which is never removed so wouldn’t need to carry changes but maybe some scarves/ shawls to mix and match. I envy you if you can manage one checked bag for 39 days.

There's a wide area in between taking so many clothes that you have to pay extra and taking a capsule wardrobe. Capsule wardrobes, to me, consist of just a few pieces and are best suited for a long weekend or possibly a week trip to a resort/Caribbean destination. (Bathing suits don't take a lot of space...LOL.)

You don't have to choose black, but pick ONE relatively neutral color to build your evening outfits around. It should be such that you can take just ONE pair of shoes for evening. I usually go with black and disagree that it can be too heavy for the Caribbean. A nice pair of silk black pants and tank with a pretty and colorful silk topper or jacket is fine. For cruises of up to two weeks I generally take 1 pair of black pants, 1 black dress or skirt (the dress is the type that you can layer over), a couple of black tanks (wash as needed) and lightweight blouses, toppers, jackets -- usually in patterns as that adds interest without having to cart a lot of jewelry or extra scarves along. As mentioned ONE pair of shoes and ONE small black evening purse or pouch if needed. Some are dressier and some are more casual.

For daytime I try to do the same although I may take 2 "basic" colors instead of just one. I'm not the best to give advice on resort-y or Caribbean destinations as most of my cruises involve a lot of city sightseeing off the ship (e.g., in Europe) OR long tours walking in archaeological ruins where I need lightweight long pants and sturdy shoes.

I find it is much better to find individual pieces that work for me rather than trying to purchase an "all in one" collection as inevitably I won't like every piece or one of them just won't work for me.

• Like 3

Thanks for that, Cruisemom 42.

Have tried black silky trousers with variety of tops, but then end up taking few dresses too. Usually take formal patent leather, heeled court shoes but then feel the need for wedges for smart casual nights. 

For day wear, I need to cut down from four pairs of cropped trousers, walking sandals, flip flops. I wear long cargo trousers or jeans with trainers to travel..take far too many tops, many of which come home unworn as I rinse some through and dry overnight….the thought “just in case’ is always in mind..haven’t yet found out in case of what !!!!

You are right about individual pieces as opposed to a set.

Thanks again.

23 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Like how you have re used items, Lissie, but wear gold jewellery which is never removed so wouldn’t need to carry changes but maybe some scarves/ shawls to mix and match. I envy you if you can manage one checked bag for 39 days.

It's actually a 39 day cruise, 6 weeks independently in Europe and another 20 day cruise on the way home!   Basically though I only pack for a week and then wash and repeat. I'll through in some extra evening stuff - probably 2 weeks of formal outfits.  I also expect that some of my daytime stuff will fall to pieces when backpacking Europe and get replaced! 

I am on a 10 day cruise right now and am in the middle of the sailing😀sailed out of Athens. I brought 1 checked bag and 1 carry on which is the same way I have always packed. I am 63. My checked bag weighed 36.5 pounds and I have all I need😀

• Like 1

Wow, that’s some holiday. We usually do about a month. Our next cruise is meant to be 28 days around Australia with a few days pre and post cruise..but unfortunately I don’t see Australia opening their borders in time. We used Emirates flights last time as their luggage allowance is more generous. 

We are finding it more difficult to lug cases around as we get older, which is why I am trying to pack less. Think I have downsized on the toiletries but upsized on medication. Need to sort out footwear and make sure I take ‘worn in’  shoes and sandals to avoid sore feet.

Have a wonderful holiday when the time comes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am on a 10 day cruise right now and am in the middle of the sailing😀sailed out of Athens. I brought 1 checked bag and 1 carry on which is the same way I have always packed. I am 63. My checked bag weighed 36.5 pounds and I have all I need😀

How is your cruise??

Your checked bag at 36.5 pounds sounds great..think that would just be my footwear and medication.

What did you pack ? I seriously need help to cut down.

Having a good but different type of cruise........this ship holds 600 but we only have 200 guests on board.  Several protocols are in place.....EU/CDC rules that are being followed.

What did I pack? Several pairs of slacks that are of the "No wrinkle variety"....they pack very small too. One grey pair, several different black ones and one periwinkle.....my formal slacks are both black with different textures but both are no wrinkle so easy to pack as well. Multiple tops.......several shorts.....some come just below the knee......I guess they would be pedal pushers?........casual tops for daytime and dressier ones for the evening.......shoes? 5 pairs. 2 bathing suits and a cute cover up that I have been complimented on---a few gals thought it was a dress but it zips up the front and has pockets and looks like a water color painting.

Oh, I bring medications too but they don't take up much weight. 

• Like 1

Thank you. Sounds like a wardrobe I might aspire to..five pairs of shoes….mmm…think I could manage the rest but tens to add extras…dresses etc which I really don’t need.

Glad to hear protocols being followed and your about 1/3 capacity. So how was flight ? Transfers? Are you wearing masks? Allowed to explore ports on your own ?

I appreciate you are on holiday, so understand you may not want to waste time emailing.

Thanks for advice so far. Bon voyage !

13 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Wow, that’s some holiday. We usually do about a month. Our next cruise is meant to be 28 days around Australia with a few days pre and post cruise..but unfortunately I don’t see Australia opening their borders in time. We used Emirates flights last time as their luggage allowance is more generous. 

We are finding it more difficult to lug cases around as we get older, which is why I am trying to pack less. Think I have downsized on the toiletries but upsized on medication. Need to sort out footwear and make sure I take ‘worn in’  shoes and sandals to avoid sore feet.

Have a wonderful holiday when the time comes.

Thanks we are looking forward to it!  Yes I wouldn't plan on Australia until late 2022 at this stage.  

I've always been lazy which is why a I pack light - I'm a new cruiser but have always travelled independently.  My partner  takes like a dozen pills a day so  I hear you about that. We are quite brutal about discarding packaging - also I carry 1/2 of it for him incase a bag goes missing. Also all goes in the carry on and none in the checked bags for the same reasons. 

Shoes are the worst part in my view.  As we're only doing warm weather on that trip I will only have light shoes. But I'm a serious ballroom dancer so  Iwill have one pair of dance shoes which I can wear as evening shoes (they have suede soles so shouldn't be worn outside  -so they are OK on a ship).  So my shoe list is 

1. dance shoes / black so double as gala night 

2. tidy sandals which are bronze which work for gala or normal nights 

3.  Very light weight sneakers - they will do for some walking on shore but are also fine around the ship. I'm  a new convert  to sneakers with skirts - but these are lovely -and go in the washing machine when required. https://www.allbirds.co.nz/products/mens-tree-skippers-kauri-coffee

4. walking sandals -   waterproof, ugly - mainly for walking in Europe and swimming on the stony beaches. 

I probably don't actually need #3 but given the length of time - and because I have a big foot - I find it hard to replace shoes in Europe, I'd like to take 2 options for proper walking 

16 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thank you. Sounds like a wardrobe I might aspire to..five pairs of shoes….mmm…think I could manage the rest but tens to add extras…dresses etc which I really don’t need.

Glad to hear protocols being followed and your about 1/3 capacity. So how was flight ? Transfers? Are you wearing masks? Allowed to explore ports on your own ?

I appreciate you are on holiday, so understand you may not want to waste time emailing.

Hi my flight was 2 hours late leaving Newark

Thankfully I was in Business Class. Lots of space. I used the cruiseline transfers and hotel in Athens (my ta picked up that tab😆)

yes, you can walk around on your own. And on the ship the crew is all wearing masks and pax in public spaces. 

Enjoyed this updated topic of packing a capsule collection, and thank you to Lissie for posting pictures of what you will wear on your Cunard voyage.  I have been wondering what to wear for that cruise line! We will do an EB TA and two weeks later a WB TA. I plan on packing a black silk midi skirt, to wear with several different tops, a very plain and simple black dress with one colorful shrug and a sparkly one. One pair of nude wedges to go with all. For Spain and daytime wear on the cruise, I am hoping that one pair of sandals and a pair of sneakers, several 3/4 sleeve tees, capris,  two pair of "nice" pants,1 pair of jeans and sweater will do. Not much for four weeks total, but I believe it will be enough?

My name is Paula,  and I am an overpacker.  But seriously, I love having several options for my days and evenings. I pack a lot not for “just in case” scenarios but because I love my clothes and jewelry.  It makes me happy to bring along my favorite items. I use blue as my base color. Many shades and so many bright colors to coordinate with. I also have a few black items that somehow manage to find their way into my wardrobe. I find it fun to dress up a little bit when cruising. Even when lounging around in the solarium playing cards with my DH.

• Like 3

We’re doing a western Caribbean in October (getting off on Halloween). I’ll do black, white & either cobalt blue or hot pink. Evenings: 1 pair black silk pants, 2 sparkly tops. 1 pair black slacks, 1 pair while pants, 4 dressy tops. 1 pair black dressy sandals (slight wedge). Days mostly in a bathing suit (I bring 2) & a coverup, Oofos sandals for pool/beach. 3 pairs capris (white, black & likely blue), 4-5 tops, pjs, unders & a pair of black Birkenstock’s. Meds & sunscreen & 2 good hats & a long cardigan sweater (either white or black)

On 7/13/2021 at 10:53 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Hi there, I got home from my cruise one week ago today........I didn't realize how much I truly missed being on the water until I actually got back home.  I loved it so much, I booked another cruise this week for next month😃.........going to Alaska.   Will  pack quite differently for it than the the cruise to Greece but I will still take 1 checked bag and 1 carry on🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RonPaula said:

Welcome home. So glad you had a great trip. Alaska sounds like the perfect follow up cruise.

Thanks so much😃

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here since I want to start to pack for my trip in about 10 days and I don't want to overpack! I'm never over the weight limit but I hate to lug around a lot that I barely or never wear. My usual mistakes are packing too many dressy or heavy clothes. This time I'm determined to pack some lightweight clothes for day (in Greece) including mostly black or other solid color dresses (for me dresses are the best way to keep cool), with some shawls and jewelry to dress them up at night. I find if I pack "dressy only" clothes they don't get worn as much, so at max I will pack only one evening outfit. It just won't get dirty the same way whatever I wear out on a hot day will. Even in a nice restaurant I think women are lucky in that a shawl and a necklace can dress up a simple dress and casual sandals. I have some sketchers and crocs sandals that are comfortable but actually look dressy in the right circumstances.

Here's what's challenging me - I'm planning on going to various ruins sites and that's where my plan breaks down. I think I need to wear closed toe shoes and socks and maybe pants - but I'm worried about the extra luggage space and weight, and is that really practical if it is 110 degrees?

45 minutes ago, irvington said:

I'm here since I want to start to pack for my trip in about 10 days and I don't want to overpack! I'm never over the weight limit but I hate to lug around a lot that I barely or never wear. My usual mistakes are packing too many dressy or heavy clothes. This time I'm determined to pack some lightweight clothes for day (in Greece) including mostly black or other solid color dresses (for me dresses are the best way to keep cool), with some shawls and jewelry to dress them up at night. I find if I pack "dressy only" clothes they don't get worn as much, so at max I will pack only one evening outfit. It just won't get dirty the same way whatever I wear out on a hot day will. Even in a nice restaurant I think women are lucky in that a shawl and a necklace can dress up a simple dress and casual sandals. I have some sketchers and crocs sandals that are comfortable but actually look dressy in the right circumstances.

Here's what's challenging me - I'm planning on going to various ruins sites and that's where my plan breaks down. I think I need to wear closed toe shoes and socks and maybe pants - but I'm worried about the extra luggage space and weight, and is that really practical if it is 110 degrees?

Hi🙂.....you probably recall, I was in Greece last month and yes, it was hot outside.  I know some gals prefer sundresses or skirts but I am not in that group. I wore lightweight cotton, mostly pedal pusher or bermuda length bottoms with cotton tops. I didn't really care if they wrinkled in the packing process.

And yes, I  definitely wore shoes and socks while touring. And I know some gals wear sandals but I prefer closed toe shoes.  Those clothes really didn't make my luggage that much heavier to be honest with you. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread., I remember getting to the airport and weighing the checked bag......it was less 40lbs and I had everything I needed.🙂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, irvington said:

Speaking from long experience, I would not wear anything but sturdy shoes with socks to archaeological sites. Once I wore trekking sandals to a site in Turkey that was very sandy -- and not fine sand but really coarse, sharp sand. Had to stop every little while and empty out my shoes as it was too uncomfortable otherwise.

And at an archaeological site outside Constanta, we saw not less than four snakes walking around the ruins. (Well the snakes weren't walking, but we were....😆).  As I recall, it was about 105 degrees that day!

Honesty compels me to say that sites like Pompeii, the Acropolis, Ephesus, etc. are heavily trafficked and doubtful you'll run across snakes. I have spotted lizards in the Greek agora though.

However, twisting an ankle or falling due to uneven pavement levels is a real concern even at Pompeii and well maintained sites. And stone bruises -- which is why a sturdy, not-too-flexible sole is a good idea. 

Specialty stores like REI, LLBean, Columbia etc. sell very lightweight pants (or capris if you're not worried about snakes) that would work and are also easy to wash/dry in cabin (they usually dry overnight).

• Like 2