Carnival to announce Sept and Oct sailings tomorrow (7/13)

pogoism9

Just now, davy jones said:

Anything on the Pride out of Baltimore in October?  Final payment is coming up.

Nothing announced yet. I'm on 9/26 and my payment date has come and gone. They haven't announced yet, but there is still half a work day to go!

Crystal Cruise Lines (small luxury operation) just announced they're starting up from Boston and New York in August. If the small cruise lines are going there, you would assume the bigger ones have something brewing as well.

1 minute ago, davy jones said:

Anything on the Pride out of Baltimore in October?  Final payment is coming up.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  We were on her too originally Oct 9th and jumped ship just a couple weeks ago and moved over to the Horizon a week later.

I just felt like that might be one of the lasts ships to start up and didn't want to take the chance on our Famaily cruise with 3 cabins booked.

Good news is got on a bigger ship same balcony room type and got money back as OBC due to room rate being less.  So all and all worked out OK, for us.

Just now, DMac1983 said:

Crystal Cruise Lines (small luxury operation) just announced they're starting up from Boston and New York in August. If the small cruise lines are going there, you would assume the bigger ones have something brewing as well.

I think NY is not a year round port for Carnival. Seems like the top candidates for Sept/Oct are Baltimore, NOLA, and *maybe* Charleston

7 minutes ago, pogoism9 said:

I think NY is not a year round port for Carnival. Seems like the top candidates for Sept/Oct are Baltimore, NOLA, and *maybe* Charleston

NYC has already been cancelled for 2021. They moved the Magic to Florida. NYC won't start back til 2022 for Carnival. 

Baltimore and NOLA are the only two ports selling for Sept/Oct right now. Charleston is greyed out til November. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

NYC has already been cancelled for 2021. They moved the Magic to Florida. NYC won't start back til 2022 for Carnival. 

Baltimore and NOLA are the only two ports selling for Sept/Oct right now. Charleston is greyed out til November. 

That's where some of the logic comes from, but at the end of the day, could mean nothing 😞 I'm pretty optimistic about Baltimore and NOLA, but nothing is guaranteed

Pride has (in the last 4 or 5 weeks) been to Miami, as well as all 3 of her ports (Freeport, Half Moon, and Princess Cays). Seems like a lot of movement for a ship that's not coming back, but then again, it's all circumstantial

Edited by pogoism9
  • Like 1

Sept 4 and Dec 18 bookings for us - both vaccinated and ready for a booster if needed.  Just let me know which arm! Vaccinated cruises are fine with us.  But I'm curious - how long can vaccinated cruises continue?  Are there enough vaccinated cruisers to sustain the industry for a while?  I sure hope so!  NOT playing devil's advocate - just asking the question.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

......Are there enough vaccinated cruisers to sustain the industry for a while?  I sure hope so!  NOT playing devil's advocate - just asking the question.  

I believe so.  It seems to me that most (certainly not ALL, but most) people who can afford to cruise are also in the group who chose to get vaccinated.  

In my case I'm recently retired so we can go pretty much any time, and in fact have multiple cruises booked through next year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Sept 4 and Dec 18 bookings for us - both vaccinated and ready for a booster if needed.  Just let me know which arm! Vaccinated cruises are fine with us.  But I'm curious - how long can vaccinated cruises continue?  Are there enough vaccinated cruisers to sustain the industry for a while?  I sure hope so!  NOT playing devil's advocate - just asking the question.  

More than enough vaccinated to last years. Over half the adult population in the country is now fully vaccinated and the cruise crowd is composed of more of those people than unvaccinated since the younger unvaccinated groups tend not to be financially able to afford cruises. At a minimum the current unvaccinated protocols will be around through a large portion of next year as we've already ruined our chance of exiting the pandemic by the fall with the Delta variant spreading like a wildfire among unvaccinated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, groundloop said:

I believe so.  It seems to me that most (certainly not ALL, but most) people who can afford to cruise are also in the group who chose to get vaccinated.  

In my case I'm recently retired so we can go pretty much any time, and in fact have multiple cruises booked through next year.

I think you are forgetting the huge chunk of families that sail on Carnival, though. Most of us parents have been vaccinated, but kids not yet eligible! Who knows how soon this might change, but for now that has to be a big chunk of folks that can't sail!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pogoism9 said:

That's where some of the logic comes from, but at the end of the day, could mean nothing 😞 I'm pretty optimistic about Baltimore and NOLA, but nothing is guaranteed

Pride has (in the last 4 or 5 weeks) been to Miami, as well as all 3 of her ports (Freeport, Half Moon, and Princess Cays). Seems like a lot of movement for a ship that's not coming back, but then again, it's all circumstantial

It sure looks like Carnival is restarting most of the 6+ day cruises before digging too far into the 2-5 day market at a later date. Money is one reason but I also suspect they know the shorter cruises is where more families with kids under 12 cruise that are ineligible for vaccination until later this fall/winter. I'm sure Carnival figures it is not worth the pain on families to have to rebook as just wait on most of the 2-5 day cruises until this winter.

Edited by embarkation75

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I think you are forgetting the huge chunk of families that sail on Carnival, though. Most of us parents have been vaccinated, but kids not yet eligible! Who knows how soon this might change, but for now that has to be a big chunk of folks that can't sail!

Majority of families also can’t afford 6+ day cruises as they focus toward the 2-5 day cruises...which Carnival will likely start most dead last this winter in order to provide time for the vaccinations to become available for children under 12.

Edited by embarkation75

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

It'd be interesting to know what percentage of passengers are typically kids under age 12, and whether that 5% unvaxxed allowance is enough to accommodate most or all of them.

Another thing is the vaccine manufacturers are working to get approval for kids down to age 2, hopefully that will be coming along soon.  I think that should help a lot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

It sure looks like Carnival is restarting most of the 6+ day cruises before digging into the 2-5 day market at a later date. Money is one reason but I also suspect they know the shorter cruises is where more families with kids under 12 cruise that are ineligible for vaccination until later this fall/winter. I'm sure Carnival figures it is not worth the pain on families to have to rebook as just wait on the 2-5 day cruises until this winter.

Really? Not arguing with you at all, but I always assumed the shorter cruises were more of the "party" type, attracting mainly adults who want to get drunk. I've never thought about them being family-oriented...good to know!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, groundloop said:

It'd be interesting to know what percentage of passengers are typically kids under age 12, and whether that 5% unvaxxed allowance is enough to accommodate most or all of them.

Another thing is the vaccine manufacturers are working to get approval for kids down to age 2, hopefully that will be coming along soon.  I think that should help a lot.

Fingers crossed. Waiting on it for my 10 year old and itching to get on a ship....

Just now, ceilidh1 said:

Really? Not arguing with you at all, but I always assumed the shorter cruises were more of the "party" type, attracting mainly adults who want to get drunk. I've never thought about them being family-oriented...good to know!

Depends on the time of year, really, and the departure port. 

Miami 2 or 3 day cruises will tend to attract the party mind set.  3-5 day cruises out of Port Canaveral seem to attract more families (combo vacation with theme parks).

Spring break time for young kids will cause more families, but spring break for college kids (21 and up) will cause more pax with the party mentality.  Depending on the area of the country, some of those overlap, so you can get both sets.

Summer break has more families with kids.  Sept though early Nov probably minimal kids (young or college).

Thanksgiving and Christmas will be more families.  

In general I have found longer cruises to have older crowds, regardless of time of year.

And I am not a seasoned cruiser!  Just my personal observations so far, mixed with what I have read here.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yeah, there is that aspect of the 2-5 day cruise crowd as well but the vast majority of families I know that have and/or will cruise in the future have directly mentioned they can't afford the more expensive 6+ day cruises. Sure there are some wealthy families that can afford 6+ day cruises but in my experience of sailing both cruise lengths, the number of kids on the 2-5 day cruises is about 2-4 times higher (varies on time of year) than what I see on the 6+ day cruises.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Depends on the time of year, really, and the departure port. 

Miami 2 or 3 day cruises will tend to attract the party mind set.  3-5 day cruises out of Port Canaveral seem to attract more families (combo vacation with theme parks).

Spring break time for young kids will cause more families, but spring break for college kids (21 and up) will cause more pax with the party mentality.  Depending on the area of the country, some of those overlap, so you can get both sets.

Summer break has more families with kids.  Sept though early Nov probably minimal kids (young or college).

Thanksgiving and Christmas will be more families.  

In general I have found longer cruises to have older crowds, regardless of time of year.

And I am not a seasoned cruiser!  Just my personal observations so far, mixed with what I have read here.

Seasoned cruiser here and I think you summed it up!

We usually stay away from Summer cruises specifically because there are lots of kids.  Nothing against them, but we have raised ours and like a little "quieter" vacation.  Making an exception next month though just to get back in the game!

Most cruises we are on in Spring, Fall, and Winter have way less children on them, around the 5% mark from what I see as long as it isn't a holiday week.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

More than enough vaccinated to last years. Over half the adult population in the country is now fully vaccinated and the cruise crowd is composed of more of those people than unvaccinated since the younger unvaccinated groups tend not to be financially able to afford cruises. At a minimum the current unvaccinated protocols will be around through a large portion of next year as we've already ruined our chance of exiting the pandemic by the fall with the Delta variant spreading like a wildfire among unvaccinated.

Thank you - I sure hope you are correct.  And I certainly hope more and more people become vaccinated sooner rather than later.  Hopefully our SEP/DEC cruises remain as vaccinated cruises.  Watching some of the videos of the initial cruises over the past week just gives me chills!  So ready.

• Like 1

Definitely interested in finding out what they decide for the September sailing. Still shocked they have not confirmed what their protocols are for September!

Had a September 4 sailing on hold from Port Canaveral as the Carnival website showed "all sailings of the Carnival Magic from August 7th" will be "fully vaccinated." I know their "fully vaccinated" means 95%. I reached out to their social team on FB and they mentioned they could not confirm if this sailing would be a "fully vaccinated cruise." Moved to the August 30th sailing in which it shows as a "fully vaccinated cruise," the sailing prior to the September sailing. When on the phone with customer service, even they were shocked they by now September has not been confirmed, this was over a week ago. Everyone I dealt with at Carnival customer service has been great!

Looking forward to our first ever Carnival, we know it is going to be different than our other cruises (Celebrity, Holland America, and Princess) but we just wanted to get back to sea as soon as we could! 

I’m waiting to hear about the Carnival Sensation out of Mobile.

Picked that for my first cruise back in early November. Wanted something to drive to (just not ready to get on a plane yet), something short (5 days) and a smaller boat while I’m waiting to see how everything goes. Have 2 longer//fly to port cruises planned in early 2022.

Sensation is currently available for booking online in late October, so I’m hopeful.

I don't know if they have yet figured out how they will handle quarantine issues onboard if a vaccinated person tests positive. I certainly would not want to be in quarantine because I may have been exposed to the positive person (even though the symptoms may be mild or not).  I do know of a family that were vaccinated (not on a cruise) and all have tested positive with symptoms mild to severe. Still an unknown and may be unknown because of the new variants and how they react to the vaccine.  We will just have to wait and see but I'm sure it is still a big unknown with the cruise industry.

• Like 1