X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Let me get this straight. The main complaint, not the OP’s who had a special situation, is arriving early and not getting to check in and get on board, and I’m not talking about 10-15min early. I was a bit (not much) sympathetic until I see the posts that You pick your check-in time…..whaaaaat?? So much for ‘a bit’ of sympathy. 

You pick your time. And even if it isn’t the exact time you want, you picked it. But you are going to complain about waiting too long at your hotel, or your flight arrival time doesn’t exactly match up with The Time You Picked?!? Or you need immediate shade? Or…..

That just closed the door on listening…..well reading actually….to these excuses which are more than a bit whiny anyway. I’m more than put off because I only have a certain amount of sympathy and it was just used up for the week!

den

You pick your time from the time slots that are still available. With the exception of a recent glitch that seems to have given passengers the opportunity to reselect and grab earlier times, the way it normally works is selecting a time on a first come, first served basis. As most people prefer embarking early, those slower in making their selection are stuck with later times.

But yeh, definitely a bit whiny. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zaxanon6 said:

I saw something similar with my Alaska cruise (8/27/21). Initially, 3-3:30 was the only time available to everyone (which seemed a bit late with a 4p departure). But a few weeks later, the rest of the times populated. So maybe they were still working out the plans behind the scenes.

As I mentioned above, I have the same situation happening for an October sailing.  I'll just keep an eye on it.  It's good to hear someone else looking at the same goofy stuff going on!

15 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Let me get this straight. The main complaint, not the OP’s who had a special situation, is arriving early and not getting to check in and get on board, and I’m not talking about 10-15min early. I was a bit (not much) sympathetic until I see the posts that You pick your check-in time…..whaaaaat?? So much for ‘a bit’ of sympathy. 

You pick your time. And even if it isn’t the exact time you want, you picked it. But you are going to complain about waiting too long at your hotel, or your flight arrival time doesn’t exactly match up with The Time You Picked?!? Or you need immediate shade? Or…..

That just closed the door on listening…..well reading actually….to these excuses which are more than a bit whiny anyway. I’m more than put off because I only have a certain amount of sympathy and it was just used up for the week!

den

LOL Den, I Am believing that you will be able to muster up a bit more for rest of the week...

bon voyage

On 7/13/2021 at 1:18 PM, marienbad said:

In the past Retreat guests had a special area to check in at a time of their choosing in spite of time assigned by the computer. Is this still the case?

Yes, Retreat guests checked in upon arrival at the far left of the check-in area.  The others queued up outside according to their arrival times.  I arrived at 1:10 for 1:30 - 2:00 check=in window and waited in the 1:30 line.  Others who arrived long before me but had later check-in times waited for their times, so don't come too early or you will be waiting outside.  I was probably about 50th in line and it moved fairly smoothly until they moved my wife and I inside to a specific check-in line.  Wouldn't you know it just as we were next in line at her station, she abruptly left and never returned.  They moved us to the back of a different line and that was frustration.  How do you left someone "go on break" during the busy check in time?  Regardless we had a great cruise, and disembarking was as smooth as can be with Customs having facial recognition and basically just a walk through and grab luggage - very easy! 

36 minutes ago, FrogCruiser said:

Yes, Retreat guests checked in upon arrival at the far left of the check-in area.  The others queued up outside according to their arrival times.  I arrived at 1:10 for 1:30 - 2:00 check=in window and waited in the 1:30 line.  Others who arrived long before me but had later check-in times waited for their times, so don't come too early or you will be waiting outside.  I was probably about 50th in line and it moved fairly smoothly until they moved my wife and I inside to a specific check-in line.  Wouldn't you know it just as we were next in line at her station, she abruptly left and never returned.  They moved us to the back of a different line and that was frustration.  How do you left someone "go on break" during the busy check in time?  Regardless we had a great cruise, and disembarking was as smooth as can be with Customs having facial recognition and basically just a walk through and grab luggage - very easy! 

Are there port employees guiding you?  It seems a little chaotic, this line, that line etc.