Venice 11/9/2021

jgd3rdbcfd

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Has anyone received anything official from Oceania re Venice no longer being a port?  I spoke with an agent there and he said it should be coming soon, i.e. notices to folks on booked cruises, I have not yet received.  No biggie TBH, not sailing there until Nov 2022, so was just curious.  On the booking site, they still show it as a 2 day port for Nov 4, 2022 cruise.  Seems they will instead go to Trieste for the same two days.  YAY!  Following the end of the cruise in Venice we had plan to take the train there and stay a few days, win win for us.

Yes, we received notice that our October 16, 2021 Marina cruise will be leaving from Trieste, instead of Venice, and that Oceania will provide transport from the VEN airport to the port in Trieste.  I believe that other fall, 2021 cruises have similarly been notified, all fall 2021 cruises previously leaving from or ending in Venice now are listed as Trieste.

But please note, there is some suggestion that by 2022, the Venice-area Marghera port may be available for cruise ships.  So my strong hunch is that 2022 cruises may not have been changed yet is because they are waiting to see if Marghera is ready.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TFree said:

Yes, we received notice that our October 16, 2021 Marina cruise will be leaving from Trieste, instead of Venice, and that Oceania will provide transport from the VEN airport to the port in Trieste.  I believe that other fall, 2021 cruises have similarly been notified, all fall 2021 cruises previously leaving from or ending in Venice now are listed as Trieste.

But please note, there is some suggestion that by 2022, the Venice-area Marghera port may be available for cruise ships.  So my strong hunch is that 2022 cruises may not have been changed yet is because they are waiting to see if Marghera is ready.

Tom & Judy

Thanks and selfishly I prefer it remain Trieste, but that is just me and def not a worry either way.  Far more important things to think about before Nov 2022.  Enjoy your cruise!!

On 9/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, the more ports the better said:

We were in Venice a few weeks ago.  We took the train in and out.  Do you all think that the Italian Govt  may use the Porto Marghera train station once the docks and facilities are complete?  It’s was less than 5 min to SL from the Porto Marghera train station.  They run frequently and one or two trains can hold an entire O ship.

Since they are charging a day trip fee at the train station, it would make sense.

Hopefully, the cruise lines will help and work with the Govt to get it up and running, kind of like they do in the Caribbean when new facilities are being built. 

Hi - can you please elaborate on the "day trip fee" they are charging at the train station? I'm on the Riviera at the end of October and am flying into Venice for a few days pre-cruise and was planning to take the train to Trieste. Thanks for your help!

56 minutes ago, Flharleygirl said:

Hi - can you please elaborate on the "day trip fee" they are charging at the train station? I'm on the Riviera at the end of October and am flying into Venice for a few days pre-cruise and was planning to take the train to Trieste. Thanks for your help!

The "day trip fee" is not yet priced or in effect.  Nor have they decided many tourists per day to allow.  The projected date to begin the fee is between summer of 2022 and sometime in 2023.  They have stated that turnstiles will be installed ahead of that to gauge traffic flow.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, Flharleygirl said:

Also...it is reported that anyone staying in a hotel will already have paid a fee with their hotel booking for access to the city and should not have to pay again.  So, if you are staying for a few days, you will have paid any fees required.

• Like 1

I read today that the day trip fee will fluctuate based on time of year. Peak season will be higher - I think it said $12.50pp per day down to as low as $3.50. It also said it will be implemented in the Summer,  but did not give specific dates. Also mentioned were turnstiles that will keep track of numbers of visitors that will be capped daily. And to offthehook’s remarks, people staying in hotels will not be charged as it is part of their nightly rate. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone on the November 9 Marina who has independent air arrangements and staying in

Venice on the 8th that is interested in sharing transportation to Trieste, Please let me know.

It turns out that Oceania provides transportation only for their own air reservation customers and

has no plan to help independent travelers. NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY AT ALL AND THE WEBSITE

DOES NOT BEGIN TO MEASURE UP.

1 hour ago, Grandants said:

Anyone on the November 9 Marina who has independent air arrangements and staying in

Venice on the 8th that is interested in sharing transportation to Trieste, Please let me know.

It turns out that Oceania provides transportation only for their own air reservation customers and

has no plan to help independent travelers. NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY AT ALL AND THE WEBSITE

Interesting, as people are posting on the Roll Call thst they have independent air arrangements and are receiving Oceania transfers - from the airport not the City of Venice.   You might have your TA check again with Oceania as perhaps Oceania misunderstood and thought you were looking for a transfer from the City of Venice.....we have independent air arrangements and ,when the change to Trieste was made, we were offered a free transfer from airport to port on day of embarkation.

Posted an hour ago on roll call:

I just spoke with Oceania and was informed that even though we did not book our air reservations through them, we can have a complimentary transfer from the Marco Polo airport to Trieste on November 9.  According to this agent, there will be no shuttles from the City of Venice.  Shuttles will leave from the airport from 8:00am to l:00pm.  He could not give me a full schedule nor could he say that a full schedule would ever be posted.  He said to just come between 8:00 and l:00, according to him.  He added the transfers to our booking.  

6 hours ago, Grandants said:

Our TA sent us a note asking what time we wanted to meet up at the Venice Airport for the transfer to Trieste on embarkation day…..it was also set up on our online account.  We arranged our own flights and are traveling in several days in advance of the cruise.

(In the end, we decided that because we’ve been to Venice several times, we’re ahead to Trieste when we fly in to check that area out.)

Thursday - Just spoke to OC.  I WAS added to transfer list and will receive email to 'chose' or 'be assigned' transfer time.  Trying to complete on line check in so will just pick a time for boarding not knowing what time I will get there.  For fellow paxs, make sure you call OC to get on the transfer list.  

Update - sent email to OC asking about xfers.  Got a reply and they asked what time we would like to leave VCE.  Requested 1000 and they confirmed the time.  See everyone in 2 weeks +.

• Like 1