Venice 11/9/2021

jgd3rdbcfd

1 minute ago, nikless said:

Agree.  

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Ah, Nice is nice. 🥰

I was really looking forward to Monte Carlo (it's actually one of the reasons we booked this cruise) but Nice is a good substitute. We learned about rescheduled ports on our first cruise.

For our October 28th cruise out of Venice, O has officially changed it to Trieste. THAT I can handle but they also scrapped Monte Carlo our disembarkation port. Not happy but can’t do anything but cancel I guess. Worried about what else they might change at this point…

1 hour ago, Flharleygirl said:

For our October 28th cruise out of Venice, O has officially changed it to Trieste. THAT I can handle but they also scrapped Monte Carlo our disembarkation port. Not happy but can’t do anything but cancel I guess. Worried about what else they might change at this point…

You realize Nice and Monaco are only separated by a few miles, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SEASwim said:

You realize Nice and Monaco are only separated by a few miles, right?

Yes, I am aware of that. But we are not going to Nice. Our disembarkation port is now Marseille. Quite a bit further away. 

Edited by Flharleygirl

54 minutes ago, Flharleygirl said:

Yes, I am aware of that. But we are not going to Nice. Our disembarkation port is now Marseille. Quite a bit further away. 

Oops, sorry. My mind filled in Nice since that was mentioned earlier as a replacement port for Monaco.

21 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Yes, we've been changed to Trieste. We lost Monte Carlo as well. They are providing a transfer from the Venice airport:

transfer.JPG

Hi….can you tell me where you found this option on the Oceania website?  I’ve looked under “Manage my Reservation” and I don’t see this option.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, sbsmutoni said:

Hi….can you tell me where you found this option on the Oceania website?  I’ve looked under “Manage my Reservation” and I don’t see this option.  Thanks!

Manage my Reservation -> Air, Transfers & Visas -> Transfers -> Book Transfers

11 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Patty: it does not display that way for us.  Did you purchase airfare through Oceania?  If so, maybe that is why they automatically show the transfer for you.  We did not buy airfare through Oceania.  My understanding is that they are still going to provide transfers, but I will ask my TA next week if we need to request the transfer to get it added to the reservation.

image.thumb.png.41d1d34a7ab9dd1c83e09c83153fe95c.png

Tom & Judy

3 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Thanks.  It's not on my reservation, but I'm on the Nov. 9th sailing, so maybe they've just not added it yet.  I'll keep looking!  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Rhine R cruise last night and have been catching up on our cruise.  I saw the change for the departure.  Called OC and rep advised that all paxs will receive free transfers to Trieste.  She stated that more info will come out closer to sailing including info for those staying early in VCE with transfer from the airport.

Nikkess, I asked Bob Binder Oceania CEO who is currently on Marina the question about going to Venice now after they switched to Trieste instead on a couple of cruises….here is his response:

Hello from the Marina in Riga Latvia

There is a transit channel to go to the terminals mentioned in the article and we cannot transit the channel during even moderate winds so our marine operations team has indicated they are not moving back to Venice.

Take care

Bob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HiFi43 said:

Nikkess, I asked Bob Binder Oceania CEO who is currently on Marina the question about going to Venice now after they switched to Trieste instead on a couple of cruises….here is his response:

There is a transit channel to go to the terminals mentioned in the article and we cannot transit the channel during even moderate winds so our marine operations team has indicated they are not moving back to Venice.

Take care

Bob

If O thinks Marina/Riviera (785 ft/66,084 GT and 24 ft draft) can't safely transit the channel, how will HAL's Eurodam manage at 935 ft/86,273 GT and 26 ft draft?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

If O thinks Marina/Riviera (785 ft/66,084 GT and 24 ft draft) can't safely transit the channel, how will HAL's Eurodam manage at 935 ft/86,273 GT and 26 ft draft?

I was thinking the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

D*mn the torpedos, full steam ahead!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

Take care

Bob

Thanks. 

21 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Heavier ship, more draft, less effect from winds?  I'm not a Mariner.  Maybe O just wants to be on the safer side.  Besides, I assume they already have the deposits on Trieste ...

We were in Venice a few weeks ago.  We took the train in and out.  Do you all think that the Italian Govt  may use the Porto Marghera train station once the docks and facilities are complete?  It’s was less than 5 min to SL from the Porto Marghera train station.  They run frequently and one or two trains can hold an entire O ship.

Since they are charging a day trip fee at the train station, it would make sense.

Hopefully, the cruise lines will help and work with the Govt to get it up and running, kind of like they do in the Caribbean when new facilities are being built. 

On 9/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, the more ports the better said:

We were in Venice a few weeks ago.  We took the train in and out.  Do you all think that the Italian Govt  may use the Porto Marghera train station once the docks and facilities are complete?  It’s was less than 5 min to SL from the Porto Marghera train station.  They run frequently and one or two trains can hold an entire O ship.

Since they are charging a day trip fee at the train station, it would make sense.

Hopefully, the cruise lines will help and work with the Govt to get it up and running, kind of like they do in the Caribbean when new facilities are being built. 

Has anyone received anything official from Oceania re Venice no longer being a port?  I spoke with an agent there and he said it should be coming soon, i.e. notices to folks on booked cruises, I have not yet received.  No biggie TBH, not sailing there until Nov 2022, so was just curious.  On the booking site, they still show it as a 2 day port for Nov 4, 2022 cruise.  Seems they will instead go to Trieste for the same two days.  YAY!  Following the end of the cruise in Venice we had plan to take the train there and stay a few days, win win for us.