Canadians! NCL does not accept mixed doses of vaccines

Hadacareer

45 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

The WHO/CDC/manufacturers have set guidelines in regards to vaccination deployment.  The Canadian government ignored those guidelines and implemented their own strategy.  Do we think if further upgraded, updated guidelines were established would the government follow them anyways?  I believe they MIGHT adhere to them in regards to a 3rd shot to those with mixed vaccines to allow travel, similar to what Quebec is doing plus we have far better access to available vaccines to do it.  Or they may snub their noses at them and say our way is right.  Their is also the looming issue of the Pfizer booster shot that will need to be addressed.  The adventure continues while we sit at home:(   

One could reasonably assume that with increased Pfizer and Moderna supplies, a more traditional approach will be adopted (same brand within a shorter time frame) for those who are just now getting their first dose.

I think we all recognize that the earlier approach was due to the limited supply that we had for months but which seems to now be (or is being) resolved. 

When I got my first dose in May my second dose was scheduled for mid-September. Increased supply and my area being designated a variant hotspot lead to me being able to received my second dose in July.

Where that leaves mixed doses or single manufacturer outside of the recommended 42 day protocol folks (like me, I'm one day over) moving forward with respect to travel is an interesting question as different countries and cruise lines have varying (and confusing) guidelines. 

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted over the coming months and we can see the rules become more standardized and much clearer.

Edited by JillK
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Thanks for posting. I guess that's why Pfizer is recommending a booster!

Have to wonder if this study was done on people who received the vaccine within the recommended time frame only. Our government is telling us we are better protected if we wait longer between doses... would be interested to see if that was true.

More fun to come apparently! 

Edited by JillK

On 7/29/2021 at 7:16 AM, ziggyuk said:

Seriously the whole vaccine thing is a mess, the China, Russia & Indian (AZ) vaccine not being accepted in many countries. You have Pfyser/Biontech in the West but in Asia it's Fosun/Biontech & like India AZ not accepted by many. Then you have the mess of nationals being vaccinated in another country and not recognised.

The W.H.O need to set a standard the world should follow, I see no other way.

Agree that it's time the WHO stepped up and did what it is supposed to do. How many of us can name or have even been asked for the manufacturer of any of our vaccines that we may have been required to get for travel to various countries (Hep B, Yellow Fever, Rabies, etc)

• Like 2

Back to the original post.  Just get a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, after your original shot of AZ.

Quebec is already offering 3rd doses, and I'm sure the other provinces will follow suit.

Pfizer has already posted a study suggesting that a 3rd dose is superior protection against the Delta Variant

Edited by GettotheSun
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Back to the original post.  Just get a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, after your original shot of AZ.

Quebec is already offering 3rd doses, and I'm sure the other provinces will follow suit.

Pfizer has already posted a study suggesting that a 3rd dose is superior protection against the Delta Variant

Oh my.....

2 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

I would like to get a second dose unfortunately not available in BC.. It would not be any benefit as I had one of Moderna and one Pfizer. The recommended time between shots has now expired  I would therefore  need two shots of the same vaccine within the 48 or 42 day time period.  Looks like a lot of Canadians will be considered non vaccinated by the US FDA if they did not get their second shot within the manufactures time frame.  It is a mess. 

Excerpt from the RCI website. 

For Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports 

The U.S. CDC advises that a vaccine series should be completed with products from the same manufacturer, as the safety of a mixed-product series has not been fully evaluated. However, Royal Caribbean will accommodate guests who are vaccinated with mixed mRNA vaccines, such as 1 shot of Pfizer and 1 shot of Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days.

42 minutes ago, armwinder said:

I would like to get a second dose unfortunately not available in BC.. It would not be any benefit as I had one of Moderna and one Pfizer. The recommended time between shots has now expired  I would therefore  need two shots of the same vaccine within the 48 or 42 day time period.  Looks like a lot of Canadians will be considered non vaccinated by the US FDA if they did not get their second shot within the manufactures time frame.  It is a mess. 

Perhaps delay your cruise?  I think that BC and other provinces will follow suit.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armwinder said:

For Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports 

The U.S. CDC advises that a vaccine series should be completed with products from the same manufacturer, as the safety of a mixed-product series has not been fully evaluated. However, Royal Caribbean will accommodate guests who are vaccinated with mixed mRNA vaccines, such as 1 shot of Pfizer and 1 shot of Moderna. The doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days.

Yup most of us got our second dose after 60 plus days..even those who had same vaccine

• Like 1

But if you have the same vaccine for both doses, then it isn't an issue.

I'm confused...for those of us who received AZ as a first dose and Pfizer as a second dose, I do agree with the authorities that we should get a second dose of the same, but that seems to be readily available.

Sorry...what's the issue?

10 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

But if you have the same vaccine for both doses, then it isn't an issue.

I'm confused...for those of us who received AZ as a first dose and Pfizer as a second dose, I do agree with the authorities that we should get a second dose of the same, but that seems to be readily available.

Sorry...what's the issue?

What authorities are you agreeing with?  The ones determining whether you can go on a cruise out of the US?

Just now, GettotheSun said:

Yes the U.S. authorities, who dictate what they will allow.  

Are you suggesting different?

Well, the 'authorities' in my neighbourhood are the Government of Ontario, not CDC or anybody connected with cruising, and they're not handing out additional shots for cruise travel.

• Like 2

Good for you. What colour is the sky in your world where you don't have to adhere to gov't regulations

The Ontario gov't has no jurisdiction beyond Ontario...sorry to break it to you.

I guess you are taking a cruise across the great lakes...

Edited by GettotheSun

5 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Good for you. What colour is the sky in your world where you don't have to adhere to gov't regulations

The Ontario gov't has no jurisdiction beyond Ontario...sorry to break it to you.

I guess you are taking a cruise across the great lakes...

Don't go all 'high horse' on me.  Perhaps I misunderstood your post when you said that there is plenty of vaccine available; I interpreted that as meaning you believed Ontario should provide an additional dose so people's travel/cruise plans wouldn't be upset.

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well, the 'authorities' in my neighbourhood are the Government of Ontario, not CDC or anybody connected with cruising, and they're not handing out additional shots for cruise travel.

"handing out additional shots"?  (yes they already are doing so in Quebec)

Yes they are because of wingnuts who refuse to get a shot, we are swimming in vaccine shots.  Bye.

Edited by GettotheSun

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Don't go all 'high horse' on me.  Perhaps I misunderstood your post when you said that there is plenty of vaccine available; I interpreted that as meaning you believed Ontario should provide an additional dose so people's travel/cruise plans wouldn't be upset.

There are plenty of vaccines in Canada / Ontario...we have a surplus due to idiots.  We should donate these shots to other countries where they would appreciate them.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting the gov't of Ontario provide an additional (3rd) dose on demand, but I would hazard a guess with the Delta Variant, a third Pfizer shot will be offered.  

Edited by GettotheSun

12 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting the gov't of Ontario provide an additional (3rd) dose on demand, but I would hazard a guess with the Delta Variant, a third Pfizer shot will be offered.  

As you said earlier... bye.

The whole situation is a mess and due to my delayed second shot (thanks Ont government) and my wife’s mixed shot (thanks Ont government) it seems both of our future cruises may get cancelled.  These were planned to be my last but it’s very disappointing to have to cancel them.  I guess we will save the money for retirement or home renovations.. I’ll say one thing, neither Ford or Trudeau will ever get a vote of mine that’s for sure.  When we took those shots who knew we could be setting up a barrier to travelling to many countries.  So disgusted by it all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardening_guy said:

The whole situation is a mess and due to my delayed second shot (thanks Ont government) and my wife’s mixed shot (thanks Ont government) it seems both of our future cruises may get cancelled.  These were planned to be my last but it’s very disappointing to have to cancel them.  I guess we will save the money for retirement or home renovations.. I’ll say one thing, neither Ford or Trudeau will ever get a vote of mine that’s for sure.  When we took those shots who knew we could be setting up a barrier to travelling to many countries.  So disgusted by it all.

We are in a similar situation, not getting any younger.  No way around this it appears, not in the foreseeably future. 

On 7/19/2021 at 12:55 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Same here, when I received my 1st Pfizer shot in early April, I was told that I had to come back to the same place and get the 2nd Pfizer shot there, too. So not only the same manufacturer, but the same venue for it (which was 30 miles away). I don't understand why Canada did things differently. In retrospect, it seems like a foolish idea. (But I'm not blaming the recipients by any means, they were just following the guidance they were given) 

I feel extremely fortunate that I received (BOTH) doses of the (SAME) Covid-19 Vaccine, 'Pfizer', (nine weeks apart), at the (SAME) Health Care Facility, by a Registered Nurse, at both times!  I can hardly wait to book a cruise and will have absolutely NO concerns with the possibility of having to wear a mask and socially distance during the cruise; (with NO desire to go ashore at ANY Ports of Call)! 😁

• Like 1

When we were first offered a Covid vaccine in March of 2021 I wouldn't have cared what type it was.  At that point we were just so happy to have something that would give us a modicum of protection.  And I felt that same way about our second vaccine shot which was administered in June of 2021.  

If someone had told me there was a possibility that I might not be able to cruise due to mixing of vaccines I would still have chosen the vaccine in a heartbeat.  

Mine & my family's health and well being are worth more to me that any trip.  

I don't blame any presently in power party for the situation.  Our Government owned Labs, which were meant to produce vaccines in Canada,  but were privatized & eventually sold to a foreign Company many years ago.  

Now...don't talk to me about Canadians having to quarantine if we travel to a Commonwealth country:-))

Happy sailing everyone...even if it's just in our imaginations for now.

Sandy

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Samstress said:

When we were first offered a Covid vaccine in March of 2021 I wouldn't have cared what type it was.  At that point we were just so happy to have something that would give us a modicum of protection.  And I felt that same way about our second vaccine shot which was administered in June of 2021.  

If someone had told me there was a possibility that I might not be able to cruise due to mixing of vaccines I would still have chosen the vaccine in a heartbeat.  

Mine & my family's health and well being are worth more to me that any trip.  

I don't blame any presently in power party for the situation.  Our Government owned Labs, which were meant to produce vaccines in Canada,  but were privatized & eventually sold to a foreign Company many years ago.  

Now...don't talk to me about Canadians having to quarantine if we travel to a Commonwealth country:-))

Happy sailing everyone...even if it's just in our imaginations for now.

Sandy

Well I don’t feel the same as you.  We were forced to wait 16 weeks against our own believe that the delay was warranted. It’s 100 % the governments fault. And yes it was also the governments fault that the labs were privatized. More incompetence at the expense of the tax payers.