Unvaccinated kids can't go ashore unless on RCCL tour?

On 7/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, Jkaczanowski said:

I homeschool, so one of the reasons I enjoy cruising is to get a break from my kids.  Nothing was better than the kids spending the day in Disney’s Oceaneer club while I had a much needed break.  Now that they are teens, they would like nothing better than to stay on the ship while we spend an hour or so walking in port. 

We homeschooled from kindergarten through 8th grade and always enjoyed spending family vacation time together. I always assumed it was because we were used to spending time together that we enjoyed family vacations together. That's not to say my husband and I didn't have yearly adults only vacations and weekly date nights. So I definitely understand needing a break. It's interesting how people - no matter how they school - enjoy different vacation "styles". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, js1357 said:

So let me get this straight.  They are going to put 50 vaccinated (parents) and unvaccinated (kids) on a bus?  How is that safe?

All busses are on reduced capacity meaning there should be one empty row to keep distance in the bus. So no 50 people on one bus.

steamboats

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

All busses are on reduced capacity meaning there should be one empty row to keep distance in the bus. So no 50 people on one bus.

steamboats

Nope not true, our bus was completely full on one excursion and same with the sailboat on another. Both royal excursions.

5 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Nope not true, our bus was completely full on one excursion and same with the sailboat on another. Both royal excursions.

Which ship? Here in Europe it´s not allowed to fill up the busses. I recently had a transfer from Fiumicino airport to Civitavecchia port. We were a group of 10 and had a whole bus for us. Nevertheless we were all asked whether we are a couple or in the same cabin - so all of us were seated with at least one empty row inbetween and only those who were together were allowed to sit next to each other.

I´ve done shore tours under Covid-19 conditions with Costa Cruises, TUI Cruises, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, nicko cruises, A-Rosa and all countries (Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece) did have limitations regarding the busses. In none of the countries the cruise lines were allowed to fill up the busses to capacity (which is usually app. 50 on a regular bus). All involved countries had to approve the healthy sail plans of the companies and especially Spain was pretty strict regarding the number of people in a bus.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

Which ship? Here in Europe it´s not allowed to fill up the busses. I recently had a transfer from Fiumicino airport to Civitavecchia port. We were a group of 10 and had a whole bus for us. Nevertheless we were all asked whether we are a couple or in the same cabin - so all of us were seated with at least one empty row inbetween and only those who were together were allowed to sit next to each other.

I´ve done shore tours under Covid-19 conditions with Costa Cruises, TUI Cruises, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, nicko cruises, A-Rosa and all countries (Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece) did have limitations regarding the busses. In none of the countries the cruise lines were allowed to fill up the busses to capacity (which is usually app. 50 on a regular bus). All involved countries had to approve the healthy sail plans of the companies and especially Spain was pretty strict regarding the number of people in a bus.

steamboats

Adventure out of Nassau last week. Was a great cruise!

• Like 1

My point is not that there will be an automatic virus spreader on the bus.  The point is how is this any different then getting in a taxi or local shuttle bus.?  It is ridiculous that they are forcing partially unvaccinated families to take a ship excursion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, js1357 said:

My point is not that there will be an automatic virus spreader on the bus.  The point is how is this any different then getting in a taxi or local shuttle bus.?  It is ridiculous that they are forcing partially unvaccinated families to take a ship excursion.

It’s not. You will be in a lot of places with kids who aren’t vaccinated: airplanes, trains, other forms of public transportation. 

And yes, it is ridiculous we need to take RC excursions 

• Like 3

I believe the idea is, if all unvaccinated folks are limited to RCL excursions and later someone on the excursion tests positive the folks in port can track down the driver/tour guide and test or quarantine them.  If the unvaccinated folks are wandering around the town or are on independent tours RCL has no idea who they came in contact with, so they can’t do any contract tracing.

RCL’s biggest profits come from being able to return to these ports, rather than be banned due to spreading the virus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are lots of nuances to this situation.  Clearly it will be safer and easier to mange if there's an issue to limit where and when unvaccinated people are.  And there likely are some regulatory components for some of the ports with the need for at least some consistency.  But I think part of the issue is actually to discourage those who are unvaccinated from cruising and/or to get vaccinated where possible.  

• Like 3

Before we found out about this rule we were planning on private tours only, with just our party and our guide who we had confirmed to be vaccinated. Now we will be forced to be on a bus with up to 50 people, including other unvaccinated children. It doesn't seem like this is going to keep us any safer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

The problem is that you guys are looking for actual logic in it when this, like 99% of covid restrictions, is about looking as though you’re taking action whether or not it actually does anything

There is logic, it's just not going to be perfect.  There's lots of evidence that masks, distancing and cocooning are helpful.  These are not unreasonable choices even if there are other choices that could have been made.  And it's very clear that vaccinations are dramatically effective, esp the mRNA ones but even then not 100%.  My preference would have been vaccinated only, or at least the 95% threshold, but I understand there are multiple issues.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MariahJ said:

Before we found out about this rule we were planning on private tours only, with just our party and our guide who we had confirmed to be vaccinated. Now we will be forced to be on a bus with up to 50 people, including other unvaccinated children. It doesn't seem like this is going to keep us any safer.

Unvaccinated members of the party?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MariahJ said:

To be honest we felt completely safe and Royal did a great job. I don’t blame royal and the ports for the rules at all.

it turned out to be one of the best cruises we have experienced overall. Too many people just want to complain and grip and let minor things ruin their vacation.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, charmed1959 said:

I believe the idea is, if all unvaccinated folks are limited to RCL excursions and later someone on the excursion tests positive the folks in port can track down the driver/tour guide and test or quarantine them.  If the unvaccinated folks are wandering around the town or are on independent tours RCL has no idea who they came in contact with, so they can’t do any contract tracing.

RCL’s biggest profits come from being able to return to these ports, rather than be banned due to spreading the virus.

That makes a lot of sense. It's all about contact tracing.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:18 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

one of the reasons we cruise is to spend family time with our kid - on the ship or on a beach. Leaving him on the ship while we go to the beach doesn't sound right.

I agree and wouldn't do it.  I would be forced to book a cruise ship excursion. On sea days and in the evening our kids went to the clubs. On port days it was family time. I don't see the point of paying for them if they are never with you anyway.  I would be planning a land vacation if I had young children.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, smokeybandit said:

Sorry but these protocols are nothing more than a money grab by RC. A vaccinated person can't visit a port freely because they have unvaccinated kids that are staying on the ship?  There's zero health and safety at play here.

I'm not a fan of Royal Caribbean's pricing in terms of fake sales and over priced cruise planner items. However, I really don't think this is a money grab. There are just too many policy changes between the CDC and the countries being visited.  I don't think the cruise lines have the time or staff to keep changing policy just to grab a few extra bucks and to piss off passengers.  Anyone who can't be flexible shouldn't be cruising at this time. There are plenty of places on land with no restrictions.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 2:13 PM, MariahJ said:

My next question is whether they will force us to get back on the ship immediately if we take a half day ship tour with unvaccinated kids, or if we can walk around in port after the tour. Anyone cruised recently who can report back?

TIA!

The whole point of taking a ship excursion is so you don't go off on your own. Allowing you to wonder around port on your own after the excursion would defeat the purpose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

The ports are just trying to limit more exposure.

My next cruise is going to be the 7 night Mexican Riviera in mid January (we're both vaccinated) and hoping we'll be able to just walk around the ports on our own.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, MariahJ said:

But they are the same people you are on the ship with and have all been tested and screened.  If not in a excursion bubble, who knows who you will be in contact with.  Your guide may be vaccinated but Royal will have no idea who you interacted with, making contact tracing difficult.

Ship excursions for the unvaxxed make perfect sense in that they are keeping the environment as close to the ship environment as possible.

Edited by cured

On 7/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, MariahJ said:

My extended family is cruising next week on JotS out of Cyprus and my sister's 2 boys are 2 and 4, so over course, not vaccinated. My dad says he called RCCL and was told "Families with unvaccinated kids can not go ashore at all unless they are booked on a RCCL tour." Can anyone who's cruised with RCCL recently confirm if this is true?

This was true on the July 3rd sailing on Adventure. Don't know about now.