Divina Dress Code Guidelines...Need Advice Please!

amygutman

We’re all different, and that’s OK. I’ve worked for the same company for almost 25 years, and for most of that time I’ve worn a jacket and tie, most of the time a suit, which I like. Over the last year or so working mostly from home I’ve dressed down to basically jeans and a T-shirt, and I really miss wearing my suits. The world would be a sad place if we either all had to be dressed to the nines or only ever wore shorts and sandals. There’s plenty of room for in between, even on a cruise. Personally, I like to get dressed up for dinner, and I always bring my tuxedo. But during the day it’s nice shorts and a polo shirt. Whatever floats your boat, no pun intended. 😊 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

In 2019 a cruisecritic user argued so much that it was impossible that I almost wore my shorts to dinner to prove him wrong!

I've seen shorts in the Yacht Club restaurant at dinner. 

I've also read reports from people who were sent away because of shorts and had to change into long pants.

In other words, both can happen. Nothing is set in stone with MSC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnJayJotaJames said:

For our formal evenings, we would reccomend guests would dress smartly such as black tie/dinner jackets, or alternatively, jacket with shirt/tie would also be suitable.
However, we would like to point that MSC Cruises does not enforce dress codes onboard. 

For the remainder of the cruise, the general dress code is smart casual

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance

Regards

MSC Cruises

You mentioned that MSC Cruises does not enforce dress codes onboard, does that include dining at Le Palmeraie on MSC Preziosa?

Yes, dress codes advised are purely as a guide only on all of our ships regardless of which bar and restaurant. This is by no means mandatory in any case

Regards

MSC Cruises

Sorry, forgot to include the e-mail confirmation that made me 100% confident. Although, I agree that on MSC you can get different responses from everyone you speak to.

A dining hostess (I think that was her title) overheard us discussing pizza and asked if we'd like one one afternoon/evening. (She interrupted our private conversation about not having time for pizza whilst on our excursion in Portofino) We said it would be fun as we'd never be back in Italy again. Restaurant manager said no way, not happening! (We understood it to be "Not happening in HIS restaurant") YC Director planned a surprise pizza on gala night for us!!! YC Director wanted to show him that it wasn't his restaurant. I've got a photo proof if needed.

Buying a kilt is a great suggestion. Searching kilts on Amazon! Looking forward to seeing photos.

🥰 Oh my word...you've made me laugh so hard.

Love, love the email - yes...in writing is always helpful! 

Amazon does have kilts btw...I am so, so tempted right now!

You and other members of this thread are absolutely the most supportive wonderful group - not only pertinent info, but loads of laughs.

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I’m now really curious what would happen if somebody showed up in the stereotypical Bermuda business outfit - classy shorts, button down shirt, tie, blue blazer. 

Let me tell you - I work at the hospital in Bermuda, and the first time I saw one of the consultant physicians in the "standard" white coat / stethoscope / button-down shirt and tie combo...but with SHORTS and long socks...my jaw literally dropped. 

It's so delightfully proper and at the same time irreverent. It's been nearly 2 years and it still makes me smile...

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Oh, I 100% agree  That's why I said...

But I've seen people do it for other things in the YC.

I think there is a much larger leeway with kids. I think smart shorts would be fine for them.

Agree re: shorts for kids - definitely more leeway, although a smartly dressed child always makes me happy.

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

Let me tell you - I work at the hospital in Bermuda, and the first time I saw one of the consultant physicians in the "standard" white coat / stethoscope / button-down shirt and tie combo...but with SHORTS and long socks...my jaw literally dropped. 

It's so delightfully proper and at the same time irreverent. It's been nearly 2 years and it still makes me smile...

Try going to the Maldives...the doctors there go barefoot...and so do the pilots 🙂

On 7/18/2021 at 7:41 AM, no1talks said:

The song doesn't go, "Every girl's crazy for a sharp-dressed man," for nothing.

I had to look that one up. That was 37 years ago. The nineteen-eithies. The former century. New generation, new rules, new definition of 'sharp-dressed'.

5 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Ive seen a Lot of people denied entering dinner without long pants. 

Even a 12 year old boy denied because not wearing a Jackett on formal Night. 

Wow...where did you see that? Even in the YC I see lots of people without jackets. I've never worn a jacket on any formal night.

What was the ship where you saw this?

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Wow...where did you see that? Even in the YC I see lots of people without jackets. I've never worn a jacket on any formal night.

What was the ship where you saw this?

Perhaps other regions than the Caribbean. MSC tends to work differently by the cruise region.

1 minute ago, Nunagoras said:

Perhaps other regions than the Caribbean. MSC tends to work differently by the cruise region.

No, I get that...but still want to know where. That seems insane that everyone, including children, need a jacket for dinner.

Definitely want to know where that was...

15 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

We’re all different, and that’s OK. I’ve worked for the same company for almost 25 years, and for most of that time I’ve worn a jacket and tie, most of the time a suit, which I like. Over the last year or so working mostly from home I’ve dressed down to basically jeans and a T-shirt, and I really miss wearing my suits. The world would be a sad place if we either all had to be dressed to the nines or only ever wore shorts and sandals. There’s plenty of room for in between, even on a cruise. Personally, I like to get dressed up for dinner, and I always bring my tuxedo. But during the day it’s nice shorts and a polo shirt. Whatever floats your boat, no pun intended. 😊 

Me too!... So, how can I do that with those ugly airline restrictions? In order to circle them, I used to dress my formal night suit for the flights!... Surely I'd to be out of place in the airport, but that is what works for me!... Either way, I used those same suits all days for my working journeys!... Have a nice day!...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

No, I get that...but still want to know where. That seems insane that everyone, including children, need a jacket for dinner.

Definitely want to know where that was...

Generally they don't "police" the dress codes as stated on their written websites and material, but as per my experience they're little bit more demanding on the Nordic Seas and the Russian sailings both out of Germany or Denmark, so is the average clientele on those sailings. Back in the day suit and tie would to be the norm on those sailings for both YC or "steerage" alike.

2 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Generally they don't "police" the dress codes as stated on their written websites and material, but as per my experience they're little bit more demanding on the Nordic Seas and the Russian sailings both out of Germany or Denmark, so is the average clientele on those sailings. Back in the day suit and tie would to be the norm on those sailings for both YC or "steerage" alike.

All agreed 🙂

Just want to know the ship where a kid was turned away for not wearing a suit...not doubting the poster, but I just find that incredible. Would like to know the details.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Try going to the Maldives...the doctors there go barefoot...and so do the pilots 🙂

Even when working as a doc on a beach, I still wore shoes. You can step on some darned nasty stuff!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Ive seen a Lot of people denied entering dinner without long pants. 

Even a 12 year old boy denied because not wearing a Jackett on formal Night. 

Really? 

Lord...I am hoping to not have to pack his school jacket. Perhaps room service on formal night!

2 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Even when working as a doc on a beach, I still wore shoes. You can step on some darned nasty stuff!

Maldives is weird that way...no shoes is the norm. But I agree...I wore shoes 🙂

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Doesn't buying a kilt to circumvent the Long Pants rule lead to bigger $$ expenditure, extra packing bulk, and extra upkeep??

yes...but it is about the height of passive-aggressiveness, and my hubby can have a stubborn streak.

me...I just roll my eyes, grit my teeth, smile and move on....😊

1 hour ago, Nunagoras said:

Me too!... So, how can I do that with those ugly airline restrictions? In order to circle them, I used to dress my formal night suit for the flights!... Surely I'd to be out of place in the airport, but that is what works for me!... Either way, I used those same suits all days for my working journeys!... Have a nice day!...

I feel that if you worse a tux on a plane, there would certainly be an upgrade in your future!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sealynx said:

I had to look that one up. That was 37 years ago. The nineteen-eithies. The former century. New generation, new rules, new definition of 'sharp-dressed'.

Ooo, shots fired. Okay. How about 2020?

#1 tip on how to dress well. (Also known as being a sharp-dressed man.)
"wear a suit well."
https://www.fashionbeans.com/article/how-to-dress-well-men

How about here?
#1 on the list is a well-fitted suit.
https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/things-women-love-man/

I'll add one more for good measure.
"According to the study conducted by Kelton Research, not only are well-dressed men viewed as sexier, smarter, more successful, and more well-liked, they also fare better in relationships."
http://outfitideashq.com/study-reveals-clothes-do-make-men-sexier-smarter-and-more-successful/

I mean, sure, if one is just starting out and they are looking to attract the attention of others who still haven't sorted themselves, then whatever is lying around will have to do, I suppose. 

That period of adulthood doesn't last, so one must be sure to up their game to avoid being left behind. It's all well and fine to march to the beat of one's own drum, but it might ultimately result in a rather lonely parade.

Oh, and next time you feel a need to make an ageist crack about "the last century," keep it to yourself. Good manners never go out of style, either.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, no1talks said:

Ooo, shots fired. Okay. How about 2020?

High score for you reply 🙂

But with Tangarine Speedo by Caviar (2000) saying "No woman can resist a man who looks good in a speedo" I'd like to make the point that music and lyrics aren't the best set of rules, no matter from what century.

8 hours ago, sealynx said:

High score for you reply 🙂

But with Tangarine Speedo by Caviar (2000) saying "No woman can resist a man who looks good in a speedo" I'd like to make the point that music and lyrics aren't the best set of rules, no matter from what century.

On behalf of most women...speedos are only OK at the Olympics. 

To each their own, of course, but ugh...banana hammocks.

Even my hubby, the pants-hating kilt-loving gentleman that he is, would never wear a speedo. 

Not at the pool...not at dinner...not in the privacy of our own home. 

We have standards! 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

On behalf of most women...speedos are only OK at the Olympics. 

To each their own, of course, but ugh...banana hammocks.

Even my hubby, the pants-hating kilt-loving gentleman that he is, would never wear a speedo. 

Not at the pool...not at dinner...not in the privacy of our own home. 

We have standards! 🤣

Well I shall apologize to your sensitivities in advance.  😀. I’ve been wearing brief men’s swimwear for over 40 years.  I don’t only wear a certain Australian brand so I don’t go generic on their trademark. So be fully prepared on the Sept 26th Divina cruise up at the YC pool.  I’ve never minded wearing them at American beaches, cruise ships, fine resorts, my backyard pool.  Can’t say the same for my kids. 😉