Divina Dress Code Guidelines...Need Advice Please!

amygutman

2 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Well I shall apologize to your sensitivities in advance.  😀. I’ve been wearing brief men’s swimwear for over 40 years.  I don’t only wear a certain Australian brand so I don’t go generic on their trademark. So be fully prepared on the Sept 26th Divina cruise up at the YC pool.  I’ve never minded wearing them at American beaches, cruise ships, fine resorts, my backyard pool.  Can’t say the same for my kids. 😉

Hey....as I have said before - cruising is about what makes YOU happy. 

And G-d bless...any body is a bikini (or Speedo) body and kudos for you doing your thing!! 

Can't wait to meet you and your generic speedo! 🏊‍♂️

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 4:34 PM, zekekelso said:

I’m now really curious what would happen if somebody showed up in the stereotypical Bermuda business outfit - classy shorts, button down shirt, tie, blue blazer. 

I was wondering this too, with the high socks and nice shoes. 

On 7/18/2021 at 7:23 AM, amygutman said:

I do love myself a man in a tux (oh...Sean Connery...I miss you so....), but I also love being "respectfully relaxed" at dinner.

We never gripe about others - in fact, people watching is a favorite past-time on cruises (and lord knows...there are some crazy people to watch). 

But, if buying and wearing pants lets us not worry about making dinner choices, so be it. It's crazy but a lot of it comes down to cost and inconvenience believe it or not - living on Bermuda, EVERYTHING has to be shipped in and taxed. He cannot buy a pair of pants here - no stock. So a 50$ pair of slacks costs nearly 100$, AND takes 6-8 weeks to arrive. Then must be tailored (DH is a big and tall)...all to go on a cruise and eat in a restaurant for a four night cruise.

Ah well...it's worth it to vacation again!

If you’ll be in the area prior to cruising, there is a shopping mall six miles from the Port (Merritt Square Mall), and has a Macy’s, JCPenney, and Dillard’s. TJMaxx down the street. I’m on your same sailing and hope we get a chance to meet!

11 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

I was wondering this too, with the high socks and nice shoes. 

I can only speak from experience of being on the Divina for 32 days a few of years ago.  They had 2 people stationed at the MDR dining room doors and if you wore shorts then you were turned away and told you needed to have long pants on to dine in the MDR and you are welcome to go to the buffet in shorts.  This also happened on the Seaside the 3 weeks we were on her.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I can only speak from experience of being on the Divina for 32 days a few of years ago.  They had 2 people stationed at the MDR dining room doors and if you wore shorts then you were turned away and told you needed to have long pants on to dine in the MDR and you are welcome to go to the buffet in shorts.  This also happened on the Seaside the 3 weeks we were on her.

Fair point - although it would certainly take bermudians by surprise re:long pants. Hubby has purchased long pants for him and child while visiting the US this month which are now referred to as “fancy pants” … considering the only time they will be worn is in the Yacht Club or the Haven!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

41 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Fair point - although it would certainly take bermudians by surprise re:long pants. Hubby has purchased long pants for him and child while visiting the US this month which are now referred to as “fancy pants” … considering the only time they will be worn is in the Yacht Club or the Haven!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Part of me says wear the pants and dine in peace.  But another side of me says…hey you are from Bermuda.  Try running it out with the Maitre D’ at lunch and show him how a proper gent from Bermuda looks in his formal shorts, high sox and shoes.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:31 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Part of me says wear the pants and dine in peace.  But another side of me says…hey you are from Bermuda.  Try running it out with the Maitre D’ at lunch and show him how a proper gent from Bermuda looks in his formal shorts, high sox and shoes.

Worth a shot - we had been discussing kilts earlier as an alternative 😄

Hey...getting the cruise is going to be stressful, so anything we can do on the cruise to relax. Shorts, pants, kilts...as long as we are respectful of the general vibe I think we should all be good. Just give me a Dark N'Stormy and good to go!

Warmest, Amy

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

Worth a shot - we had been discussing kilts earlier as an alternative 😄

Hey...getting the cruise is going to be stressful, so anything we can do on the cruise to relax. Shorts, pants, kilts...as long as we are respectful of the general vibe I think we should all be good. Just give me a Dark N'Stormy and good to go!

Warmest, Amy

Now a kilt should be perfectly acceptable.  In fact, the kilt can be worn on formal occasions.  I would still run the Bermuda shorts by the Maitre d’ just to see.  The Yacht Club is a lot more personal than the MDR.  The Maitre ‘d has the final say and my guess is that this issue would not be a big deal.  Good luck.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Just wondering......If in "Full Bermuda", would that not require long sleeve dress shirt, tie, jacket, long socks, and dress shoes?

Also wondering......We've been in Bermuda a couple of times, during cruise season (not the coldest weather) and needed long pants and sweaters due to the cool temperatures.  Do no Bermuda residents ever experience that?

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Just wondering......If in "Full Bermuda", would that not require long sleeve dress shirt, tie, jacket, long socks, and dress shoes?

Also wondering......We've been in Bermuda a couple of times, during cruise season (not the coldest weather) and needed long pants and sweaters due to the cool temperatures.  Do no Bermuda residents ever experience that?

It's a funny thing - yes, many people do wear pants, but it's definitely the minority. The Premier often does, and his cabinet seems to follow his lead. I work in the hospital and I always have to hide my smile (the mask helps), when I see the consultant physicians in their shorts and long white coats...makes them look like fancy flashers 🤣

We joke that you can always tell a Bermudian vs a non-Bermudian because Bermudians will start wearing ski jackets, scarves and flannel in the "winter" when it gets below 75 here.

So yes...people do wear pants, but not often (and generally, no happily)...

Did not want to start a new thread just for these questions and this seemed to be the right spot.  I am sailing this coming weekend on Meraviglia out of Miami.  Finished packing this past weekend, and just received an upgrade to YC.  Quick questions for the YC restaurant: 

Are my "dress jeans" in black and khaki acceptable for dinner? 

Are Sperry's acceptable footwear? 

Are collared polo shirts acceptable? 

I have been working from home for a year and a half now and even that is dressy to me at this point.  😄.  Need to know if I need to re-pack.  Any advice is appreciated.

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Did not want to start a new thread just for these questions and this seemed to be the right spot.  I am sailing this coming weekend on Meraviglia out of Miami.  Finished packing this past weekend, and just received an upgrade to YC.  Quick questions for the YC restaurant: 

I have been working from home for a year and a half now and even that is dressy to me at this point.  😄.  Need to know if I need to re-pack.  Any advice is appreciated.

Yes being dressed neatly is acceptable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Yes being dressed neatly is acceptable.  

I agree...that being said I just got off the Meraviglia and there was ZERO enforcement of ANY dress code.

Not saying this is good or bad - don't want to start an argument - just telling facts 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Yes, that is fine.

BTW, can you please ask if they will do covid tests for a b2b and how much?

10 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Yes, that is fine.

BTW, can you please ask if they will do covid tests for a b2b and how much?

I actually have a fellow furry critter who is doing a B2B this weekend/week, and he was told they are to go to the testing center on the ship on the first or second day of the 3-day cruise to get tested for the second part of the B2B.  Cost = $120.