Excursions and how you liked or disliked them

esther e

I thought it would be nice to have personal information for we-soon-to-be-cruisers in Iceland on excursions.  I know each has likes and dislikes, but it would be fun and informative to get your feel.  I've seen a couple of reviews but if I had to go back to re-read them, I'm not sure I'd find them.  So maybe they could be included in this thread.

• Like 1

Hi Esther.  We were on the first cruise, and had good weather for almost all the excursions, which is a big help.  We liked almost all.  We really didn’t do the included ones, but of the paid excursions, our favorites were Vigur Island and Skalanes.  There were nature excursions, to see birds and sea life.  Both were spectacular.  But, they have steps, walks on uneven  ground, and steps onto the bus in Skalanes, and a boat with a rugged pier to Vigur.  We also did two long tours, the Golden Circle, with a terrific guide, so we loved it, and the Treasures of Northern Iceland with a poor guide, so not as much.  Both were 7-8 hours and included exactly the same, rather bland lunch, of Arctic char (not salmon as some have reported) and boiled potatoes.  Not much to our liking.  But we would do both again, if push came to shove.  The worst excursion was the. Natural Wonders in Djúpivogur.  The last day, the boat ride to the WILDLIFE OF HEIMAEY was fogged in, so, it wasn’t great, but it could have been.  The last two days were tenders, which is a bit difficult, but they help you.

Let me know if you have further questions.  Wear your Dala horse mask and be intrepid!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, esther e said:

Curiously what didn’t you like about the natural wonders?

There were several tours from Viking that morning.  They staggered the stops.  So instead of stopping after about an hour to see the falls we skipped the falls until last and drove two and a half hours to our first stop,  and our guide was poor.  Others liked it a lot.  So I would not judge by our particular excursion.  I would do it again.  The Hell’s Kitchen stuff was just plain creepy, but worth seeing!

Edited by SantaFe1

52 minutes ago, esther e said:

Curiously what didn’t you like about the natural wonders?

Oops, my previous comment was about National Treasure.  Natural wonders was a bus ride to a waterfall, 15 minutes, then a bus ride to a meadow in a campground with a bathroom,  25 minutes.  And our guide smoked the whole way.  Quite awful.  Nothing to redeem it.  

Great thread, Esther! I hope that more people will post here especially with information about other tours that haven't yet been covered. 

Reykjavik:

Included tour: "Snapshots of Reykjavik" It is what it is -- an hour and half bus ride around Reykjavik and a chance to see things a bit further our of town that you might not otherwise see (which is why we chose to do the tour in the first place). I thought that it was a good tour, nicely planned and giving a wide overview of the city. No pit stop. Completely accessible. Good value for $$.

Optional: Viking Museum & Reykjanes Peninsula: I was looking forward to this one and in the end, I did not like it at all. It was a long bus ride with one 15 minute stop at the Seltun geothermal pools (smelly but interesting and deserving of more time), one 5 minute photo stop at a lake (could have been completely eliminated) and a longer stop for bathrooms and shopping at the Viking Museum. The tour, although the description touted the meeting of the continental plates, did not include a stop at "Bridge Between the Continents" which would have been far more interesting than the lake or the overly long amount of time spent at the Viking Museum.  Accessibility: Very accessible. Very little walking. Rollator/walker/ friendly. Hiking boots/poles not needed.

Isafjordur. 

Optional: Vigur Island. Loved it, top to bottom. A simple, short well planned circuit to see the puffins, eider ducks and Arctic terns that nest on the island. Guide/owner excellent -- gracious, knowledgeable and informative. Accessibility: Not very accessible. Steep ramps to reach the ferry to the island and at the island --and can be slippery when wet or damp. On the island, rough, uneven walking surface and narrow paths are not rollator/walker friendly. No steps.  Availability very limited: only 22 people per tour.  Notes on the ferry boat: seating for 22 people inside and a few more seats outside. Steep steps involved in getting on and off the boat. (Learn more about the island here: https://www.vigurisland.com/about)

Akureyri

Optional: "Northern's Iceland's Natural Treasures" -- Loved it. Well done and well organized.  Exactly what I was looking for -- a smattering of the various natural features of the area  - pseudo-craters, waterfalls, geothermal mud pools and lava labyrinths. The tour was exactly as described on paper, though not necessarily seen in the same order. Lunch was good -- filling and healthy -- but wish I had known about the ice cream stand sooner -- don't linger of lunch so you have time for dessert.

Accessibility: depends on the stop but most are a short walk from the bus. Rollator/walker accessible (except for the pseudo-craters which have steps). Paved hiking paths at the lava labyrinth are steep in places but you can go as far in as you wish and turn back at any time. Mud pools are fairly flat and you don't have to walk very far to get the ideal of what it is all about.  Waterfall has paved path all the way to the falls but it is a bit of a walk to the edge of the falls if that is your goal.

Seydisfjordur

Optional: Skalanes Nature Center -- another owner-operated venture. Loved it. Olly (sp?) is knowledgeable and informative -- and has a lot to say -- and not just about the birds and flowers. It is obvious that the nature center, which is a working research station for researchers from around the world, is a labor of love. Some of my best photos of the trip come from these few hours. The best part of the tour is the viewing platform that the owner has built at the cliffs to make it easier to see the birds that nest there (puffins, gulls, kittiwakes, etc.).  Accessibility: bus ride over mostly gravel roads. Fords three streams which can be very rough and jolting (think disc and other back issues). Once at the center, it is an 800m walk to the viewing platform over rough uneven ground. The platform itself is reached by stairs -- not steep but equivalent to a couple of flights, no hand-rail (yet?).

Djupivogur

Optional: Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac -- Magnificent day. Loved it. Even with the 2+ hour bus ride coming and going so glad we were able to do this excursion. I was worried about getting in and out of the zodiac (short legs and out of shape) but I did just fine.  The crew is accustomed to helping folks on and off the boats and loading, unloading is a quick and easy process.  Wardrobe note: Contractor provides a warm jacket and life vest but does not provide waterproof pants or boots. Bring waterproof pants because you will want them if it is raining when you get there. Jackets come in multiple sizes. It was warm and sunny and I did not really need the down down vest I was wearing. Accessibility: Path down to the lagoon is rough and uneven. Rollator/walker use questionable. 

Heimaey

Optional: Wildlife of Heimaey by Boat -- wet weather made this a disappointment -- cold and wet outside -- no views and exhaust fumes inside. With 20/20 hindsight, we should have chosen a land-based activity as the bird-viewing was just a repeat of Vigur Island and Skalanes. However, if you haven't made it to Vigur or Skalanes, come prepared for the worst. Regardless of the day's forecast, wear/bring waterproof gear including waterproof pants so that you can sit outside without being cold and wet. Seating area is tables with benches -- solid metal, holds the cold and wet. Waterproof your camera equipment. Accessibility: Steep wet ramps on to the boat. Steep wet steps up to the outside viewing deck.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Great thread, Esther! I hope that more people will post here especially with information about other tours that haven't yet been covered. 

Reykjavik:

Included tour: "Snapshots of Reykjavik" It is what it is -- an hour and half bus ride around Reykjavik and a chance to see things a bit further our of town that you might not otherwise see (which is why we chose to do the tour in the first place). I thought that it was a good tour, nicely planned and giving a wide overview of the city. No pit stop. Completely accessible. Good value for $$.

Optional: Viking Museum & Reykjanes Peninsula: I was looking forward to this one and in the end, I did not like it at all. It was a long bus ride with one 15 minute stop at the Seltun geothermal pools (smelly but interesting and deserving of more time), one 5 minute photo stop at a lake (could have been completely eliminated) and a longer stop for bathrooms and shopping at the Viking Museum. The tour, although the description touted the meeting of the continental plates, did not include a stop at "Bridge Between the Continents" which would have been far more interesting than the lake or the overly long amount of time spent at the Viking Museum.  Accessibility: Very accessible. Very little walking. Rollator/walker/ friendly. Hiking boots/poles not needed.

Isafjordur. 

Optional: Vigur Island. Loved it, top to bottom. A simple, short well planned circuit to see the puffins, eider ducks and Arctic terns that nest on the island. Guide/owner excellent -- gracious, knowledgeable and informative. Accessibility: Not very accessible. Steep ramps to reach the ferry to the island and at the island --and can be slippery when wet or damp. On the island, rough, uneven walking surface and narrow paths are not rollator/walker friendly. No steps.  Availability very limited: only 22 people per tour.  Notes on the ferry boat: seating for 22 people inside and a few more seats outside. Steep steps involved in getting on and off the boat. (Learn more about the island here: https://www.vigurisland.com/about)

Akureyri

Optional: "Northern's Iceland's Natural Treasures" -- Loved it. Well done and well organized.  Exactly what I was looking for -- a smattering of the various natural features of the area  - pseudo-craters, waterfalls, geothermal mud pools and lava labyrinths. The tour was exactly as described on paper, though not necessarily seen in the same order. Lunch was good -- filling and healthy -- but wish I had known about the ice cream stand sooner -- don't linger of lunch so you have time for dessert.

Accessibility: depends on the stop but most are a short walk from the bus. Rollator/walker accessible (except for the pseudo-craters which have steps). Paved hiking paths at the lava labyrinth are steep in places but you can go as far in as you wish and turn back at any time. Mud pools are fairly flat and you don't have to walk very far to get the ideal of what it is all about.  Waterfall has paved path all the way to the falls but it is a bit of a walk to the edge of the falls if that is your goal.

Seydisfjordur

Optional: Skalanes Nature Center -- another owner-operated venture. Loved it. Olly (sp?) is knowledgeable and informative -- and has a lot to say -- and not just about the birds and flowers. It is obvious that the nature center, which is a working research station for researchers from around the world, is a labor of love. Some of my best photos of the trip come from these few hours. The best part of the tour is the viewing platform that the owner has built at the cliffs to make it easier to see the birds that nest there (puffins, gulls, kittiwakes, etc.).  Accessibility: bus ride over mostly gravel roads. Fords three streams which can be very rough and jolting (think disc and other back issues). Once at the center, it is an 800m walk to the viewing platform over rough uneven ground. The platform itself is reached by stairs -- not steep but equivalent to a couple of flights, no hand-rail (yet?).

Djupivogur

Optional: Fjallsarlon Ice Lagoon by Zodiac -- Magnificent day. Loved it. Even with the 2+ hour bus ride coming and going so glad we were able to do this excursion. I was worried about getting in and out of the zodiac (short legs and out of shape) but I did just fine.  The crew is accustomed to helping folks on and off the boats and loading, unloading is a quick and easy process.  Wardrobe note: Contractor provides a warm jacket and life vest but does not provide waterproof pants or boots. Bring waterproof pants because you will want them if it is raining when you get there. Jackets come in multiple sizes. It was warm and sunny and I did not really need the down down vest I was wearing. Accessibility: Path down to the lagoon is rough and uneven. Rollator/walker use questionable. 

Heimaey

Optional: Wildlife of Heimaey by Boat -- wet weather made this a disappointment -- cold and wet outside -- no views and exhaust fumes inside. With 20/20 hindsight, we should have chosen a land-based activity as the bird-viewing was just a repeat of Vigur Island and Skalanes. However, if you haven't made it to Vigur or Skalanes, come prepared for the worst. Regardless of the day's forecast, wear/bring waterproof gear including waterproof pants so that you can sit outside without being cold and wet. Seating area is tables with benches -- solid metal, holds the cold and wet. Waterproof your camera equipment. Accessibility: Steep wet ramps on to the boat. Steep wet steps up to the outside viewing deck.

Thank you so much for this.  I'm sure you have helped many people.  I did Northern Iceland's National Treasures last time I was in Iceland.  Probably will skip it now.   Zodiaks -- I had my share of them in Antarctica and managed to easily get in and out by rolling myself around.  That was then.....now???  No thanks.

5 minutes ago, esther e said:

Thank you so much for this.  I'm sure you have helped many people.  I did Northern Iceland's National Treasures last time I was in Iceland.  Probably will skip it now.   Zodiaks -- I had my share of them in Antarctica and managed to easily get in and out by rolling myself around.  That was then.....now???  No thanks.

I am most interested in reactions from Iceland Through the Lens.   Anyone?

Golden Circle (Reykjavik)

We enjoyed our day even as long as it was. Our guide was not a spring chicken so I don’t think we got as much information from her as some of the other groups did. The buses follow opposite paths to try to keep from having too many folks in one place at the same time. I think we were lucky in that our sites got progressively more impressive all day,  Folks going the opposite direction seem to think the afternoon a waste. 

1st stop for us was the old sky lodge and relatively quick after leaving the shop. There is a short trail (mostly paved) through a series of burbling hot springs. The big event here is when they release pressure from the pipe sending steam to the nearby power plant. (Pic 1). This was our first restroom break and they sell coffee, tea, etc. 

From the ski lodge we drove up and over the mountain and into a valley. It was foggy for the over the mountain part but the rest of the drive was pretty with horses, goats, etc and beautiful views. 

Our next stop was at the Geysers. The buses park at the tourist center and hotel and it is a short walk after crossing the two lane highway. There are more burbling springs along the paved walk (Pics 2-5)and then the geyser that releases every 6-8 minutes (2nd video).  Just past it is the big geyser that doesn’t shoot regularly anymore. There is also a trail up the hill where one can I understand get a great overview of the area. 

Lunch is served either in the Restaurant attached to the Visitor Center or in the Hotel. Our group was in the hotel. We sat at tables of 6 (Viking Covid protocol) and the meal was a delicious Thai coconut soup, salmon, and an Icelandic rice dish (we all thought it was farrow or another grain) and a green veggie that I can’t recall. Mike and I don’t eat salmon and I had spoken to everyone onboard and when we entered the hotel. It took a minute but we got some lamb…overdone and a bit dry but I still enjoyed it. Beer, wine, coffee and tea were offered along with some tasty bread.  Dessert was a tasty profiterole that was sitting on the coffee cup when we sat down. Everybody wished for more. 

After lunch we drove through the countryside and went to the Golden Falls.  Here you can walk along a relatively level path and go to the top of the falls (Pics 6-8) or go down (and back up) 100 or so steps to reach the bottom. Pics 9, 10 and Video 3) This was probably the highlight of the day (and since our ports were cut short -damn you Covid, probably the whole cruise). 

From the falls we backtracked and after the longest drive reaches the National Park which is centered around the cleft created where the North American and Euroasian tectonic plates are separating. The busses left us at the Visitor Center and met us downhill after we had walked through the canyon. This was also a pretty impressive stop. Pics 11-13 

From there we headed back towards Reykjavik and did a whirlwind (I felt like I was at Wimbleton given how quickly I had to turn my head from left to right) windshield tour of the downtown. Thankfully we were able to go ashore and do our own walking tour on our last night after our coastguard-required early arrival.  Since that hopefully won’t be the case for future cruises, do try to take a shuttle your first night. We intended to, but after our awful day of flying we just couldn’t make it. 

541AC9FB-0577-444B-83C9-75F5506BA2C5.jpeg

92922374-0EA2-4373-9C68-B3044BD09FFC.jpeg

CCA2BE46-0C9E-484D-A418-A41C5539FD41.jpeg

A84679C0-6704-4164-99E3-5ACCBDCCBB60.jpeg

C7974F5B-BB3A-4106-8C87-C23A1D57486D.jpeg

D91C5DDD-0589-4932-A80D-FABDD36E308F.jpeg

EA6AFBF1-9EC5-4D4A-8C02-C3935BCBCF97.jpeg

A766022F-483B-42F9-A799-3E47A5546EE5.jpeg

4DFF68F8-944F-4DCD-A36E-A3BC80440AC6.jpeg

48DDE40C-5B16-4E85-BB2E-2CDD02122A14.jpeg

D4AF7E47-28BA-42AF-B5E5-6D1668DEE7EF.jpeg

BF46BE5B-E66F-4F35-B983-9061B7CAA9C2.jpeg

EC776195-3046-4177-8732-D14B16EBB653.jpeg

• Like 8

Whale watching-Akureyri 

We enjoyed ourselves on this tour even tough we didn’t see any big whales. We saw two minke whales on our way out towards the mouth of the fjord. Then we saw a pod of 25 or so dolphins which were fun to watch. 

Be prepared for chilly weather. There is indoor seating on the boat but we enjoyed being outside, but had by the middle of the trip put on all the layers we had packed save the rain pants. I wore a tshirt & heavy mock turtleneck off the ship. After 30 minutes or so on the boat I had donned, a fleece pullover, , windbreaker, hat with ear flaps and gloves. By the time we got back to shore I had removed down to the turtleneck.  If I had this to do over we would have tried to go to Vigor Island as everyone really enjoyed that excursion. But this one was fun too. 

66A255EE-31F1-4915-BDBF-DC7E4A5B9FE4.jpeg

6FDD6C0E-E9A3-4466-9D06-14B657BA0312.jpeg

• Like 3

2 couples from Louisiana.  Looking for reviews on Vok baths in Seydisfjordur.  My husband and I have selected it because Husick was $319.  Is it worth going to see if I'm the only one to go into pools?

Thanks for info

1 hour ago, chryslers said:

2 couples from Louisiana.  Looking for reviews on Vok baths in Seydisfjordur.  My husband and I have selected it because Husick was $319.  Is it worth going to see if I'm the only one to go into pools?

Thanks for info

Have you considered each doing different tours that day? I know some couples don't like splitting up, but it is not required that both people in a cabin book the same tour.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Have you considered each doing different tours that day? I know some couples don't like splitting up, but it is not required that both people in a cabin book the same tour.  

no he will go with me to see the country.  Just want an idea from people if it is worth it.  

On 7/19/2021 at 2:22 PM, esther e said:

I am most interested in reactions from Iceland Through the Lens.   Anyone?

Someone raved about this on (I think) Facebook, or perhaps in another thread here on CC.  Hopefully it's not the comments what Peregrina mentioned.  Anyway, the notes I took are as follows (paraphrased):

Guide Sigurjón Pétursson, www.phototoursiniceland.com, has well-planned itinerary, hands-on advice. Before each stop shows photos taken in area you'll visit. Black sand beach “Take Away Beach” visited - medium long walk from parking to beach itself but once on beach, can walk as much or little as like. Sig, one of guides, excellent. Did 3-4 different stops, amazing. Mostly Reykjanes Geopark - thermal spot, lots of lava.  Stopped at small restaurant for lunch in fishing town Grindavik (warm lobster soup or vegetable soup, fresh bread, amazing meringue cake).

I remember the reviewer also said there was a real mix of photographers on the excursion -  some with great cameras/lenses, some phone cameras, some point and shoot - and that the guide made sure he gave equal attention to all. 

There are two different time slots for Through the Lens (at least on my cruise) so there's no guarantee you'll get Sig as a guide.  But I believe his website indicates he works with a second person, so I'm guessing the other person does something similar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chryslers said:

Thanks for info

Vok Baths didn't sound fabulous to me when i researched them.  Basically I couldn't find much about them, and then found a few pictures which didn't make them look all that fabulous.  But I did see a review of them, and copied this info in case I decided to try something different:

(I've paraphrased):

Seydisfjordur: Vok Baths: drive up mountain with amazing view of ship in valley, wind way down to valley.  Viking rented entire place so never felt crowded. Had 2 buses, spaced nicely apart, beautiful facility, clean private showers, large dressing rooms with lockers that lock. It was cool as there were 3 pools different temperatures, 2 of which designed as infinity pools to look like part of lake.  Had stairs like in a pool so could ease yourself into lake or just jump right in.  Had swim up type bar with drinks for purchase (credit card bracelet?)  Also sauna room outside, then go out to cold rain water shower. Tea & water when done. But drive.... Beautiful, lots of snow still high up, too many waterfalls to count.

• Like 2

July 17-24:   Our favorite tour was Vigur Island.  The tour guide, Felicity Aston, is not only an accomplished explorer of the Polar regions in her own right, she will make your visit to Vigur an absolute delight.  I had read on Cruise Critic, prior to our visit, that her books were sometimes on sale in the gift shop.  When I asked, they had sold out of her Antarctic books, but still had one copy of her Chasing Winter book.  I purchased it and I was able to have her personalize it before leaving the island.  The birds - puffins, eider ducks, arctic terns, etc - are everywhere.  They seem to be quite at home with the limited number of tourists who come to Vigur (except for the arctic terns who dive-bomb visitors who come to close to their nests).  After your walk to view the birds, up close and personal, we had the opportunity to have some rhubarb cake and coffee in the coffee shop.  My only problem with this tour is that it could be even longer since there is so much to see.  Since the weather was so lovely while we were in Isafjordur, the boat ride to and from the island was very relaxing.  I'm sure it might be choppy waters if the weather is bad.

We also enjoyed the Heart of the Glacier tour.  We started the day with a visit to the hot spring at Deildartunguhver.  It was less than impressive.  Then on to the two waterfalls.  I had viewed these online before traveling and wasn't expecting much.  I was pleasantly surprised - both were much more impressive in person.  I especially loved the multiple waterfall streams of Hraunfoss.  Next was lunch at a resort hotel restaurant.  Because we were such a small group, we were at tables of four in the restaurant next to windows with beautiful views.  It felt like you were in a nice restaurant and not a cruise tour bus stop for lunch.  The quality of the food reflected this too.  We had a lamb and vegetable soup that had a wonderfully complex broth.  The pine nuts that were added to the soup were the perfect touch.  The main course was salmon - perfectly cooked with a delightful lemon, butter, herb sauce.  It was accompanied by a small salad and peas with roasted potatoes.  This was definitely one of the best meals of our cruise.  Wine, beer or other soft drinks were also included with the meal.  Ater lunch, we headed to the glacier (ice cap).  The bus drops you at the excursion office where you suit up.  They have lots of waterproof jackets that they encourage you to use since it is very wet inside the glacier.  They also offer boots to go over your shoes, even if you already have waterproof shoes.  We were glad that we used them since you walk through several ankle deep puddles of water.  We chose to also wear our rain pants (the only place that we used them on the Iceland trip).  Then everyone gets on to their mobile vehicle (an old NATO missle launcher) and they drive you up to the entrance to the glacier opening.  It's a very interesting walk down on rubberized mats.  Once you are deep enough, they hand out crampons to attach to your boots that will enable you to walk on the ice - no more rubberized mats.  It is wet, slippery, and cold at this point.  Definitely have your gloves (again, this was the only place in Iceland I used gloves).  We really enjoyed our visit.  The tour guide was interesting, plus the Viking geologist came on this excursion, so he gave us lots of additional info about what we were seeing. 

We also took the In the Footsteps of Elves tour - loved the scenery through the two mountain passes on the way to the final destination - the Borgarfjordur Estuary, which was such a lovely setting.  We had lunch (definitely packed us into a small space here) and had time to climb Elf Hill - nice views.  Our tour guide was only so-so on this tour, but the real highlight for most people is the puffin colony.  Lots of puffins, up close, but not as picturesque for me as Vigur Island had been.

Many people had written about the Ice Lagoon tour so I won't describe it, but we did love the boat ride on the lagoon itself.  Again, we had absolutely the best weather!  I was so glad that I did not wear my own jacket because it would have been too warm under the jacket they outfit you in.  Of course, we had the sun and warm temps, so I'm sure it could be totally different on a cloudy, blustery day.

One surprise was the included tour in Akureyri.  Usually, I see the description Panoramic Bus Tour and run, but we had already done the Northern Treasures and multiple whale watching tours.  I didn't like the fact that they were charging $319pp for the Geobaths when the week before us only paid $219 pp, so we opted for a ship day and decided to do the included tour.  We were driven to the top of the mountain to the ski area for a 20-30 minute stop - incredible views, then we were driven to the Botanical gardens for a 45-50 minute visit - the plantings focused on "Northern plants" - lots of blooms.  It was a great place to wander, take photos, or have a coffee in the cafe with lots of outdoor seating.  Finally, we were driven through the old town area.  The tour was only an hour and a half.  The two stops were very nice.

• Like 3

Guides can be wonderful, or a waste of time. Unless you are booking your own private tour, it is out of your hands.

In Santiago de Cuba, we had a Viking guide who led a forced March through the downtown in 90 plus heat. To assure we had a full 45 minutes at the gift, rum, and cigar shop. Other sections of that tour loved their gentle walk and detailed descriptions of historic buildings.

Just trying to give this thread a little more visibility.  I'm also hoping for more reviews of the "Iceland Through the Lens" excursion and the "Icelandic Life at Litlibaer Turf Farm."  And if someone has recently taken the Vigur Island tour, I know a person who would like information on that (for example, did the guide say when the puffins generally leave?  how many people were on the boat?) 

• Thanks 1

We are signed up for the Vigur Island excursion based on many outstanding reviews from the early cruises. By the end of August it seems that the puffins will be gone. Also the early excursions were noted to have about 20 people per boat and now they are putting 30 people per boat. Based on the experiences of those that have taken the excursion do you think it will be worth it with no puffins and a crowded boat? Thank you.

Can someone who has completed Iceland Cruise or who is currently cruising please tell me if the following excursions are 100 % WALKING tours?  

Akureyri  :  Panoramic Akureyri

Seudisfjordur :  Seydisfjordur on Foot ( sounds like all walk and no ride)

Djupivogur:  Cultural Sights of Djupivogur  (  says stroll which means walk to me)

I have read and reread all of the excursion descriptions included and optional and am having difficulty finding excursions I will be capable of enjoying.    Unfortunately my Lumbar Spine decided to act up again and walking or standing for long periods of time limit my ability to do most of the excursions.  I did book the 3 I asked advise about but don't want to take a space from someone else if I can't do the walk.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Grace