Best thing to do in Liverpool if you're not into the Beatles

I know, I know ... the Beatles are the greatest thing ever. And I love them.  But I am wondering about something else to do in Liverpool besides the Beatles experience and walk.  Princess offers some trips to Wales.  How about that? Other ideas for a Liverpool stop?

Without being an a$$, did you try Google?

I think Amazon Prime had a 30-45 minute show on visiting Liverpool. Looked like there was a LOT to do not involving the Beatles. 

Liverpool tourism site….

https://www.visitliverpool.com/?utm_source=MAG_PPC&utm_medium=Search_2hr&utm_campaign=Liverpool&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkfvVhIXu8QIViN7ICh0MMgpJEAAYASAAEgIAjPD_BwE

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Without being an a$$, did you try Google?

I think Amazon Prime had a 30-45 minute show on visiting Liverpool. Looked like there was a LOT to do not involving the Beatles. 

Liverpool tourism site….

https://www.visitliverpool.com/?utm_source=MAG_PPC&utm_medium=Search_2hr&utm_campaign=Liverpool&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkfvVhIXu8QIViN7ICh0MMgpJEAAYASAAEgIAjPD_BwE

Oh yes, big time google.  You get the standard list of "Top Ten Things" but a lot of that is Beatles stuff...  and it's hard to beat personal experiences.  Sometimes someone will have had a personal experience that gets missed by most of the Travel Advisor stuff too...

• Like 3

If I can find the travel show, I’ll post the name. I was more than a little surprised at how much there was. 

Admittedly, I’d probably be heading straight to Penny Lane…

Also, I haven't searched the forum, but I’m pretty sure this came up late 2019-early 2020, and I recall a fairly good set of recommendations. If search is working, try that as well. 

Edited to add:

Search the forum for Liverpool. It is working and there are a lot of first hand recommendations. Good start!

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, markeb said:

If I can find the travel show, I’ll post the name. I was more than a little surprised at how much there was. 

Admittedly, I’d probably be heading straight to Penny Lane…

Also, I haven't searched the forum, but I’m pretty sure this came up late 2019-early 2020, and I recall a fairly good set of recommendations. If search is working, try that as well. 

Edited to add:

Search the forum for Liverpool. It is working and there are a lot of first hand recommendations. Good start!

My bad!  Should've searched the forum too!  Good call!

Trips to Wales might be a good idea, depending on what they are covering.

From an earlier thread, I know that Conwy Castle is often included. If so, that's probably the best "attraction" along the North Wales coast and well worth a visit. It's about a 90 minute direct drive from Liverpool

In Liverpool itself, the waterfront is probably the best "Not Beatles" area. Particularly around the Albert Dock, with the Tate art gallery, Museum of Liverpool, Maritime Museum (which includes the Slavery Museum). Note that the museums have free entry.  Also well worth taking the ferry across the Mersey (cue Gerry & The Pacemakers song) to Birkenhead. The town itself is not particularly interesting but you get some great views of the Liverpool skyline - and you get to visit Birkenhead Park which was the inspiration for Olmstead's design of New York's Central Park.

Directly opposite the Albert Dock is Liverpool One - to my mind, the northwest's premier shopping district. It's also where we'd probably head for lunch on day trips to the city (in normal times, we often visit the Tate). Check out Lunya for tapas - a particular favourite

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harters said:

From an earlier thread, I know that Conwy Castle is often included.

Busybus gets great reviews here on Cruise Critic.

Tours such as the one in my link are just for cruise passengers on your ship, and are usually in 16-seater vans.

Conwy Castle is one of the most popular castles in Wales (even in the UK), but their tour includes much more, such as the dramatic hills of Snowdonia.

https://www.busybus.co.uk/north-wales-from-liverpool-cruise-terminal/

JB 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harters said:

From an earlier thread, I know that Conwy Castle is often included. If so, that's probably the best "attraction" along the North Wales coast and well worth a visit. It's about a 90 minute direct drive from Liverpool

In Liverpool itself, the waterfront is probably the best "Not Beatles" area. Particularly around the Albert Dock, with the Tate art gallery, Museum of Liverpool, Maritime Museum (which includes the Slavery Museum). Note that the museums have free entry.  Also well worth taking the ferry across the Mersey (cue Gerry & The Pacemakers song) to Birkenhead. The town itself is not particularly interesting but you get some great views of the Liverpool skyline - and you get to visit Birkenhead Park which was the inspiration for Olmstead's design of New York's Central Park.

Directly opposite the Albert Dock is Liverpool One - to my mind, the northwest's premier shopping district. It's also where we'd probably head for lunch on day trips to the city (in normal times, we often visit the Tate). Check out Lunya for tapas - a particular favourite

THIS is very very helpful.  Thank you so much!

8 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Tours such as the one in my link are just for cruise passengers on your ship, and are usually in 16-seater vans.

Conwy Castle is one of the most popular castles in Wales (even in the UK), but their tour includes much more, such as the dramatic hills of Snowdonia.

JB 🙂

Oh wow - that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for!  THANK YOU!

The Busybus tour seems excellent

Conwy Castle has a dramatic location on the river estuary. We often spend time in the area -  it's day trip distance for us but, from time to time, we stay over at a hotel on the opposite side of the estuary. The surrounding small town is pleasant enough but nothing of great interest (maybe apart from the "smallest house in Wales", usually staffed by women in traditional dress). Unless it's May and you're there for the weeked of the Conwy Feast - a small, but really friendly, food festival. Other times, you could do worse than get an ice cream  and sit on the Quay watching the world go round.

Snowdonia is dramatic. Betws-y-Coed is a large village, on the edge of the National Park, which is very touristy - if you get the chance, go and have a look at Swallow Falls on the River Llugwy, a couple of miles outside the village.

And the aquaduct is a wonder of 18th century construction techniques. It carries the Llangollen canal - and, yes, I've steered a boat across it, which is a bit scary. There is just enough room for the boat and a small pathway to the side (which originally would have been for the horse which  pulled the boats).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ukestrummer said:

WE WENT TO CHESTER for the day, very interesting. Hired a private excursion & filled other 4 spots with cruisers

Sounds great.  What's in Chester?  What'd you see?  Link to excursion?

Chester's nice. Traditionally, it's the administrative centre of our county. It's history goes back to Roman times and the city walls can be linked back to those times (although they are now generally much later). It's a very pleasant 2 mile walk round them. The cathedral is well worth a visit - it dates back to 1093. The Roman amphitheatre still exists and is well preserved.

The castle is home to the Cheshire Military Museum which houses exhibits about the county's  two main regiments. On a personal note, I used their archives extensively when I was writing a history of one of the battalions during the Great War. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the city is home to a couple of museums which deal with its Roman history.

Assuming that, as cruisers, you're not yet fed up with water, there are boat trips along the River Dee and the canal which runs through the city,

The central shopping area, in the Rows, is a unique area in the UK. Some of the covered walkways are in buildings dating to the 13th century. Speaking of shopping, foreigners might be interested in visiting Chester Market. Nothing touristy about this - market halls are common in Norhern towns and it's where many people will do their day-to-day shopping for food and household essentials. It's almost opposite the Cathedral.

If you're going on your own, you'll probably need lunch. Obviously there's lots of restaurants around the city but I'm going to suggest a picnic. Visit the Cheese Shop on Northgate Street. I don't know a better place for the wide range of quality British & Irish cheeses. Make  sure that, whatever else you try, that you buy a farmhouse Cheshire. Look out for Bourne's Cheshire. Mr & Mrs Bourne farm at nearby Malpas and, as well as here, sell at various farmers markets (including my local one). You'll be able to get other things you need for lunch from other shops along Northgate (although it does make for a reason to visit the Msrket). Then take yourself off to find a bench near the River and watch it and the world go by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Chester's nice. Traditionally, it's the administrative centre of our county. It's history goes back to Roman times and the city walls can be linked back to those times (although they are now generally much later). It's a very pleasant 2 mile walk round them. The cathedral is well worth a visit - it dates back to 1093. The Roman amphitheatre still exists and is well preserved.

The castle is home to the Cheshire Military Museum which houses exhibits about the county's  two main regiments. On a personal note, I used their archives extensively when I was writing a history of one of the battalions during the Great War. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the city is home to a couple of museums which deal with its Roman history.

Assuming that, as cruisers, you're not yet fed up with water, there are boat trips along the River Dee and the canal which runs through the city,

The central shopping area, in the Rows, is a unique area in the UK. Some of the covered walkways are in buildings dating to the 13th century. Speaking of shopping, foreigners might be interested in visiting Chester Market. Nothing touristy about this - market halls are common in Norhern towns and it's where many people will do their day-to-day shopping for food and household essentials. It's almost opposite the Cathedral.

If you're going on your own, you'll probably need lunch. Obviously there's lots of restaurants around the city but I'm going to suggest a picnic. Visit the Cheese Shop on Northgate Street. I don't know a better place for the wide range of quality British & Irish cheeses. Make  sure that, whatever else you try, that you buy a farmhouse Cheshire. Look out for Bourne's Cheshire. Mr & Mrs Bourne farm at nearby Malpas and, as well as here, sell at various farmers markets (including my local one). You'll be able to get other things you need for lunch from other shops along Northgate (although it does make for a reason to visit the Msrket). Then take yourself off to find a bench near the River and watch it and the world go by.

If they give post of the year awards this one will be in the running!  Thanks so much.  Incredibly helpful. And instead of a day chasing the Fab Four I'll be having a picnic!  WONDERFUL!  Thank you so very much!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

If they give post of the year awards this one will be in the running!  Thanks so much.  Incredibly helpful. And instead of a day chasing the Fab Four I'll be having a picnic!  WONDERFUL!  Thank you so very much!

Thanks for posting this question. We also would prefer to most likely go to Wales. We lived through Beatlemania and that is all well and fine, but this solution is perfect because I wanted to do an itinerary that went to Wales. I am still unhappy about the Orkney Islands being substituted with Liverpool. But it gets us to see a bit of Wales.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

Do passengers get off at the stops to view the castles and such.  

6 hours ago, Harters said:

Full itinerary for Busybus here. Seems clear where there are stops and where there are drive pasts.

https://www.busybus.co.uk/north-wales-day-trip-from-liverpool-city/#1592219657920-0f9e37ec-3c39

Errr, nope - that's their North Wales tour from Liverpool city centre.

Presumably because of time constraints for getting back to the ship, the tour from the cruise terminal (linked in my earlier post) doesn't include the dog-leg to the attractive but un-exciting Victorian resort of Llandudno and the viewpoint on the Great Orme (aka the Orme's Head).

It also doesn't mention the little town of Llangollen although the route goes past it.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

6 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

Do passengers get off at the stops to view the castles and such.  

I've never been on a BusyBus tour, but I have driven full-size coach tours in the area so I think I can answer tolerably accurately.............................

Certainly a proper stop at Conwy Castle (the BusyBus itinerary mentions a £7 castle entry fee, so that fee presumably not included). The castle is in the centre of town, so you might also find time to check out the little cluster of shops or the adjacent St Mary's Church, which pre-dates the castle. But the castle entry fee is well worthwhile especially if you've not visited many castles.

And certainly a proper stop at Betws-y-Coed, a leafy tolerably-unspoilt one-road tourist village. Options include the super little railway museum (right by the coach drop-point), the river views from Pont Y Pair bridge (a five minute walk) which you might cross on the bus, and between the two a mix of shops, tea-rooms & other eateries, and a couple of pubs.

I think the rest will be photo-stops - and Snowdonia is all about the scenery rather than "places-of-interest".

JB 🙂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John Bull said:

Errr, nope

Mea culpa.

And, of course, many thanks for the correction. Hopefully,  you prevented irishgal rushing off and booking the wrong tour. I'll remember not to be in such a hurry to offer information in future.

We were in Liverpool in May on Viking Venus and the first cruise ship to visit in 18 months and boy, did they make us feel welcome. I didn't have great expectations as I last visited on business back in the 80's and thought the place was run down and dirty. The city centre and waterfront have been transformed. We took the Viking organised tour "Maritime History of Liverpool" and the local guide was truly fantastic. Should have been 2 hours I think but lasted more like 3 as she and we were having such fun. I see on Trip Advisor [which we use to book private excursions whenever we can] that there is a "Liverpool Maritime History" trip advertised and probably the one Viking set up. Well worth it.

I echo what others have said. Conway castle amongst the best in the UK IMO. If you go and you get a guide [ seem to recall they use volunteers who don't charge] and they don't tell you, ask them why with the 8 towers, 7 are clockwise and 1 anti clockwise. 

There are some really good heritage steam train lines around N Wales but assume that you wouldn't have time for these.

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I, too, was considering the Busy Bus tour of Wales.  But my DH is not one to enjoy long coach rides and decided on Chester, as it is a 40 minute bus ride from Liverpool.  Trains leave Liverpool James Street Station every 15 minutes, and a roundtrip fare is about $10.25 per person.  Once in Chester, it is a 20 minute walk to the Visitors Information Center which is next to town hall.  They have 90 minute walking tours for 10 GBP daily at 10:30 am and 2:00 pm--buy tickets from the guide.  Afterwards have lunch near Chester Market Hall, and then check out the Rows shops and walk the medieval walls.  Maybe take a boat trip on the River Dee for 7.20 GBP before returning by train.

• Like 1