Back from Breeze Thoughts

hgalls56

4 hours ago, cuppy said:

Why is there no cheers package for day 1?  I was just looking top after it and the charge is for the five nights,  no mention of not being able to use it your first night

Cheers from Galveston starts at 6:00am on Day 2 due to conflict with Texas tax/liquor laws. Alchohol must be from Texas with proper tax paid. I've read that when ship hits international waters that they switch over to (apparently) duty free alchohol. Regardless, Cheers is day 2 from Texas and NYC.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 2:01 PM, csm5986142 said:

My family was there as well, and I totally agree.  For different reasons, we only travel during school breaks, so I completely agree there too - the reduced capacity is what I liked the best. 

I have read people saying they wish they'd waited longer to book a cruise.  I'm the opposite, I wish I could book many cruises in the next few months.  I joked to my husband (while sitting with only 3 other people on the serenity deck) how I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to "normal" cruising again after this.  😃

We are booked on the Mardi in a month, so it will be an interesting comparison.

Our trip wasn't without frustration (but it wasn't with Carnival).  Southwest was terrible.  Connecting flight to Hobby was cancelled, luggage was lost, flight home was delayed 5 hours (arrived home at 2:30 in the morning). 

Also, in case it's helpful to others, we were shocked by the lack of ground transportation.  On our past 12 cruises, anytime we have walked away from a ship, there have been tons of taxis lined up, plenty of Uber options.  An Uber from Galveston to IAH was quoting at $300 (and no cars available) so we decided to do the flat rate taxi option ($160) but had to wait until they become available.  I've never used Carnival airport transportation, but had I been aware that this industry is still struggling to recover (which makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it) I would have considered Carnival transport this time.

Did you fly into Hobby or IAH? I'm still trying to figure out if I will be able to get an Uber or Lyft from Hobby to Galveston. You indicated it was $300 from Galveston to IAH but didn't indicate if you had a problem getting Uber or Lyft from airport to Galveston. In another post you indicated you had to take Ubers back and forth to get your luggage. So I'm confused.  I am still trying to find someone who's flown into Hobby and experienced Uber/Lyft to Galveston. I've also had people respond in different groups that Uber has not been a problem from Hobby to Galveston. so please if you wouldn't mind clarifying for my I'd appreciate it. I really trying to avoid booking a shuttle even if it will be easier.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:01 PM, csm5986142 said:

My family was there as well, and I totally agree.  For different reasons, we only travel during school breaks, so I completely agree there too - the reduced capacity is what I liked the best. 

I have read people saying they wish they'd waited longer to book a cruise.  I'm the opposite, I wish I could book many cruises in the next few months.  I joked to my husband (while sitting with only 3 other people on the serenity deck) how I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to "normal" cruising again after this.  😃

We are booked on the Mardi in a month, so it will be an interesting comparison.

Our trip wasn't without frustration (but it wasn't with Carnival).  Southwest was terrible.  Connecting flight to Hobby was cancelled, luggage was lost, flight home was delayed 5 hours (arrived home at 2:30 in the morning). 

Also, in case it's helpful to others, we were shocked by the lack of ground transportation.  On our past 12 cruises, anytime we have walked away from a ship, there have been tons of taxis lined up, plenty of Uber options.  An Uber from Galveston to IAH was quoting at $300 (and no cars available) so we decided to do the flat rate taxi option ($160) but had to wait until they become available.  I've never used Carnival airport transportation, but had I been aware that this industry is still struggling to recover (which makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it) I would have considered Carnival transport this time.

Did you fly into Hobby or IAH? I'm still trying to figure out if I will be able to get an Uber or Lyft from Hobby to Galveston. You indicated it was $300 from Galveston to IAH but didn't indicate if you had a problem getting Uber or Lyft from airport to Galveston. In another post you indicated you had to take Ubers back and forth to get your luggage. So I'm confused.  I am still trying to find someone who's flown into Hobby and experienced Uber/Lyft to Galveston. I've also had people respond in different groups that Uber has not been a problem from Hobby to Galveston. so please if you wouldn't mind clarifying for my I'd appreciate it. I really trying to avoid booking a shuttle even if it will be easier.

6 minutes ago, csr10236 said:

What day are you getting to Hobby? And is that your embarkation date?

12 hours ago, cuppy said:

Why is there no cheers package for day 1?  I was just looking top after it and the charge is for the five nights,  no mention of not being able to use it your first night

Its so weird that you cant use it first night. I mean, you are already on board and already celebrating.. why not allow its activation right on spot? Will see how it goes later

4 minutes ago, csr10236 said:

we getting into Hobby on Sunday the day before our cruise.

There will be horrible afternoon traffic from about 1030-500.  It will be harder and more costly to get an Uber, but I think you'll find one.  A taxi may be cheaper, so compare prices.

If you're talking about after Labor Day, the prices and traffic will drop. And it will likely be easier to get a ride as well.

15 hours ago, cuppy said:

The charge is only for four nights, not five. They always dropped the first night from the charge since it can't be offered. 

• Like 1

We used Galveston Express from Hobby to the port last time we sailed out of Galveston and have booked it for our upcoming trip in October. We will fly in  a day ahead and spend the night in Galveston. Galveston Express will drop us off at the hotel and pick us up at the pier on our return. They drive small-ish vehicles (maybe 15 or so passengers). MUCH cheaper than a $300 Uber! Wowza!  Our experience was very positive with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed the Breeze on 7/19 and encountered a few problems that were quickly forgotten. I think everyone’s opinion is based on their expectations. For us just getting back on board after almost 20 months and 14 cancelled cruises was awesome. We did fly to Houston from central Florida and used Carnival transportation and we did arrive late to check in but still worth the trip. Next month we drive 30 minutes to Port Canaveral and sail Royal Caribbean’s Allure and only hope we have as much fun.

We just booked transportation from Hobby to a hotel in Galveston and then a return to a hotel near the airport after the cruise with BLACK ARROW LIMOUSINE.  They were cheaper than any of the shuttle services and we have our own private SUV.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mondello said:

Cheers is day 2 from Texas and NYC.

Is this just a Carnival thing regarding NYC?  I cruised on NCL out of New York and was able to have a beer at lunch on embarkation day - just had to pay NY tax on it.

Sorry csr10236, just saw your question now.

Going to Galveston, we were booked on Southwest into Hobby.  Our connecting flight from DEN to Hobby was cancelled, and we were rebooked into IAH instead.

On the way home, we were already booked out of IAH. 

So yes, we took more Uber’s in a 24 period than I ever have.  We had to Uber from IAH to HOU because our luggage was supposed to be arriving on a specific flight.  Unfortunately, they scanned the luggage but didn’t actually put it on the plane (likely due to weight restrictions) so at that point, it was technically lost.  They made a report and told us to we should just go to our hotel and wait for their call (the hotel was right down on the pier).  So, we took an Uber from Hobby to Harbor House in Galveston.

Our luggage arrived at HOU in the middle of the night, and we had to Uber back to HOU as soon as baggage claim opened the next morning at 7am (as they couldn’t guarantee delivery before we got on the ship).  And we were so glad we did – they had tons of lost/delayed luggage in their office – we doubt we would have gotten it in time.

We had no trouble getting the Ubers from Hobby to Galveston.  I thought all of the Uber’s were reasonably priced, except that last one from Galveston to IAH.  One of the drivers called and told me that he was trying to get across to Galveston/the port, but they’d shut down the ferry.  So maybe that contributed?

It might have just been timing…it was early enough that drivers weren’t bringing people down to the ship yet (I guess). 

But someone else (more familiar with the Galveston port) told us that typically there are tons of taxis lined up outside the ship, but for some reason there were none of them either.  It was the first time the Breeze sailed, so maybe drivers didn’t realize we were coming back into port that day (it was a Monday)?  Or maybe just supply/demand...too many people leaving at once.

I actually did see some Lyft drivers pull up (and was trying to pull up their app) when the taxis started arriving, so we just took one of them.

3 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

we took an Uber from Hobby to Harbor House in Galveston.

Do you happen to remember a roundabout price for that? I understand it changes, but there are always people in the departure port forum asking.

Oh yes, I kept track so I could request reimbursement from Southwest 🙂

At approximately 5:15 PM (evening before cruise) from HOU to Harbor House was $46 (before tip).

At approximately 7:30 AM (the morning of the cruise) from HOU to Harbor House was $45 (before tip)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCBarker said:

Wow. That is so much cheaper than I expected! I was guessing a minimum of $65. Thanks.

I don't know if it's helpful or not, with the current situation, but Galveston is my favorite port and we always use Uber to get there from HOU.  We Uber to the hotel on the Island and have paid between 60-100.  HOU to Harbor House is WAY cheaper than we've paid in the past.  You could also pre-book an Uber the day before to make it feel a little more solid.  We like to get on down to Galveston the night before so no stressing about traffic the day of, and Galveston is a fun little place to be the night before a cruise.  Be sure to check out The Spot and Willie G's.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 9:26 AM, SCBarker said:

I was heading out of Galveston on Saturday at about 1:30 (while Vista was boarding) and a wreck on 45 southbound had the freeway shutdown right past Harborside.  Traffic was backed up for miles over the causeway.  I commented to the GF that she would be a anxiety nutcase if we were on the causeway stuck trying to get on our cruise.  She dead seriously want us to get a hotel on the island the night before! lol

Getting a hotel the night before near the port is a great idea, and fun. Something we have started doing. Sure makes embarkation day less stressful. 

3 hours ago, DenaInWyo said:

I don't know if it's helpful or not, with the current situation, but Galveston is my favorite port and we always use Uber to get there from HOU.  We Uber to the hotel on the Island and have paid between 60-100.  HOU to Harbor House is WAY cheaper than we've paid in the past.  You could also pre-book an Uber the day before to make it feel a little more solid.  We like to get on down to Galveston the night before so no stressing about traffic the day of, and Galveston is a fun little place to be the night before a cruise.  Be sure to check out The Spot and Willie G's.

Galveston is a very nice port. I mean its a very historic place, here is on every corner there. Moreover, if you visit Galveston, I would go into the city to see the working Galveston Ship Channel and some other fancy places that attract people from all over the world. 

7 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

Is this just a Carnival thing regarding NYC?  I cruised on NCL out of New York and was able to have a beer at lunch on embarkation day - just had to pay NY tax on it.

Cheers/Galveston comes up all the time on these boards but I just learned about NYC. You can buy drinks the first day, just won't be on Cheers. Cheers begins at 6:00am day 2 and you are not charged Cheers for the first day either.

Was it difficult to get taxi/uber to the port the day of the cruise?  We're staying at Moody Gardens and they say they dont have a shuttle unless you book your room directly through the hotel.  I've contacted a couple transportation companies and the either dont pick up at hotels or its over $100 for the short trip to the port. 

thanks!

8 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Getting a hotel the night before near the port is a great idea, and fun. Something we have started doing. Sure makes embarkation day less stressful. 

Yeah. but we live less than 30 miles from the port. It really seems a waste to get hotel on the island.

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

That's exactly what we have done. Staying right on Galveston the day before sailing on the Vista. We found a motel that is quite affordable, although a little more expensive than we would have liked. It's a Motel 6(yeah i know. No snarky comments please), and we are paying $120.00, including taxes for the night. And it's only like 12 minutes from the cruise terminal. And because we are so close to the cruise terminal, we are going to request a 1:00-1:30 terminal check in. 

On 7/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, csm5986142 said:

Sorry csr10236, just saw your question now.

Going to Galveston, we were booked on Southwest into Hobby.  Our connecting flight from DEN to Hobby was cancelled, and we were rebooked into IAH instead.

On the way home, we were already booked out of IAH. 

So yes, we took more Uber’s in a 24 period than I ever have.  We had to Uber from IAH to HOU because our luggage was supposed to be arriving on a specific flight.  Unfortunately, they scanned the luggage but didn’t actually put it on the plane (likely due to weight restrictions) so at that point, it was technically lost.  They made a report and told us to we should just go to our hotel and wait for their call (the hotel was right down on the pier).  So, we took an Uber from Hobby to Harbor House in Galveston.

Our luggage arrived at HOU in the middle of the night, and we had to Uber back to HOU as soon as baggage claim opened the next morning at 7am (as they couldn’t guarantee delivery before we got on the ship).  And we were so glad we did – they had tons of lost/delayed luggage in their office – we doubt we would have gotten it in time.

We had no trouble getting the Ubers from Hobby to Galveston.  I thought all of the Uber’s were reasonably priced, except that last one from Galveston to IAH.  One of the drivers called and told me that he was trying to get across to Galveston/the port, but they’d shut down the ferry.  So maybe that contributed?

It might have just been timing…it was early enough that drivers weren’t bringing people down to the ship yet (I guess). 

But someone else (more familiar with the Galveston port) told us that typically there are tons of taxis lined up outside the ship, but for some reason there were none of them either.  It was the first time the Breeze sailed, so maybe drivers didn’t realize we were coming back into port that day (it was a Monday)?  Or maybe just supply/demand...too many people leaving at once.

I actually did see some Lyft drivers pull up (and was trying to pull up their app) when the taxis started arriving, so we just took one of them.

Thank you so much for your explanation! That helps me more than you'll ever know. We're set to sail on Monday the 30th and fly into Hobby on Sunday and land at 12:30-ish in the afternoon. So it seems we should be okay especially since people will be aware of the cruise line schedules. Also, thank you for posting the cost. While a shuttle would be less expensive we did want to get to our hotel as soon as possible and not have to make multiple stops along the way to pick up or drop off other people.  Hopefully we'll be okay port to Hobby on our way home too. We have a late flight out and keeping my fingers crossed our flight leaves on time. We, too, are flying on Southwest from Los Angeles and we have a direct flight both ways. Always worth the extra cost cause I'm terrified of my luggage not making a layover.