PCR and Antigen test

MStarzky

On 7/30/2021 at 10:27 AM, MStarzky said:

So i got the rapid antigen test from shoppers, I do not have covid so I am good to get on the plane. It took 15 mins and they stick the swab pretty far up your nose.

Hi @MStarzky, I'm hoping you can update us, was everything good with your $40 rapid antigen Shoppers test for your flight to the US?  Thanks for your help.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the update.  We had a PCR test booked, just to be sure, but I don't think it makes sense to go through the hassle if the Shoppers $40 test is good enough for the US!  It is nice to hear someone that has actually used it, it gives me some comfort.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your experience last week. 

When flying back to Canada, do they only accept a pcr test? 

Are we expecting that the cruise lines will do it in a timely manner? Or will we have to get it done on our own and maybe stay in a hotel for a few days?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

Thanks for sharing your experience last week. 

When flying back to Canada, do they only accept a pcr test? 

Are we expecting that the cruise lines will do it in a timely manner? Or will we have to get it done on our own and maybe stay in a hotel for a few days?

At the current time, yes, you require a PCR negative test to fly back into Canada. Celebrity will provide PRC tests to passengers requiring one before flying home, but I've not tracked that information for other lines. 

That said, there was a mix up with a Celebrity passengers test first being delayed and then the results lost, with the consequence of the passenger being delayed in Florida for several days before his return to Ottawa. Go to Youtube and search Don's Cruise Vacations for a number of videos recounting his problems. While this may have been a unique set of circumstances, things can go wrong.

• Like 1

I have been watching a number of cruise influencers on YouTube including Don's.

It helps to see what current cruisers are experiencing and learn from them.

We'll be sailing on HAL so we'll see how it plays out.

• Like 1

Anyone have thoughts on whether the Shoppers $40 Antigen test is going to be sufficient for boarding the ship (Celebrity)? Celebrity’s site just says PCR or Antigen test. Royal’s site has more information in its FAQs that kind of makes it look like it may not be sufficent?

• Like 1

I wish they would do away with these da** tests.

There are tons of false positives!! They are a huge PIA, and a huge expense.

The vaccine does not always prevent you from getting Covid. If you follow public health policies, then you will likely NOT spread it even if you were carrying it.

Do we test the folks in Sobey's?? No! we could be picking up lettuce beside little Johnny who is infected, or old Mary getting the oranges. None of this makes sense.

Another stupid make money project were the quarantine hotels. NUTS, people getting sick from the hotels for goodness sake.

The US use the Antigen (cheap) test for us to get into the US via air, but when we return we need a PCR (big bucks in US $)..... and they all can have false results....... I really is a case of forest for the trees!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Anyone have thoughts on whether the Shoppers $40 Antigen test is going to be sufficient for boarding the ship (Celebrity)? Celebrity’s site just says PCR or Antigen test. Royal’s site has more information in its FAQs that kind of makes it look like it may not be sufficent?

Yes, it meets the requirements as currently shown on the RCI website:

All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

The only related information that I could find in the FAQs also says that an antigen test is acceptable:

Q

If I need to take an antigen or PCR COVID-19 test before my cruise where should I go? Are there any considerations I need to take when finding the right test provider? How soon do I need results back and where do I submit the results?

A

Should you be required to bring a negative test result to the terminal on boarding day, the COVID-19 test must be a viral test as viral tests are used to look for current infection. Two types of viral tests are accepted: NAAT tests (PCR is a common type of NAAT test) and antigen tests.

Antibody tests will not be accepted. Additionally, home/self-tests will not be accepted unless documentation from a medical professional that they were supervised can be provided.

Can you be more specific as to what information in the FAQs gives rise to your thought that antigen tests are not sufficient?

Thank you for your response.  The more I look, the more I think it should be sufficient.  The Shoppers website says it is a screen not a "test", but the website does say it should meet travel requirements for "viral tests", which is what the Royal FAQs says is required.  I was also reading wrong, I thought the Shoppers site said it screens for antibodies, which above specifically says is not sufficient, but Shoppers says it screens for "antigens".

It has been so long since I've been on vacation, I'm really worried about either getting denied boarding on the plane or the ship because I got the wrong test!

2 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

I wish they would do away with these da** tests.

There are tons of false positives!! They are a huge PIA, and a huge expense.

The vaccine does not always prevent you from getting Covid. If you follow public health policies, then you will likely NOT spread it even if you were carrying it.

Do we test the folks in Sobey's?? No! we could be picking up lettuce beside little Johnny who is infected, or old Mary getting the oranges. None of this makes sense.

Another stupid make money project were the quarantine hotels. NUTS, people getting sick from the hotels for goodness sake.

The US use the Antigen (cheap) test for us to get into the US via air, but when we return we need a PCR (big bucks in US $)..... and they all can have false results....... I really is a case of forest for the trees!!!

i just posted a conversation starter about false positives on the Carnival section of this site.

My point was that I think testing everyone before getting on a cruise ship is the best way to prevent the spread of Covid.

As you say vaccines aren't preventing people from getting Covid (thanks Delta Variant).

the best way to keep people safe on cruise ships is to make sure those that test positive aren't on the ship.

It has been suggested to give time that if you test positive with an antigen test you can get a PCR test.

Many people here have mentioned that hopefully eventually those that are vaccinated won't even have to test coming and going from the country.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, Magicat said:

We flew to Houston on Sunday.  We did not see any Switch Health at Pearson.  Could have been there but not front and centre.  Our research showed it was closed but was to reopen.  We provided a PCR test as that is the test that Air Canada would accept.  US Customs did not ask to see any tests nor vaccination records.  Have all documents printed as they were not accepting documents electronically on your phone.

We are booking our rapid test through Switch Health at Pearson.  I called them and they said they are set up in a parking garage.  Guess we will see when we arrive there.

We are getting our tests done when we arrive at Pearson 3 hours prior to our flight.  We will not have access to get them printed unless Switch provides a printout for us.  Hopefully the digital copies are acceptable.  We require the negative test 3 days later for our cruise, so that is the reason we cannot get our tests done prior to the day we have our flight unless we want to have another test done in the US, which we do not know how easy it will be to get with the number of Covid cases down there.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, AlbertaCruisers said:

Thank you for your response.  The more I look, the more I think it should be sufficient.  The Shoppers website says it is a screen not a "test", but the website does say it should meet travel requirements for "viral tests", which is what the Royal FAQs says is required.  I was also reading wrong, I thought the Shoppers site said it screens for antibodies, which above specifically says is not sufficient, but Shoppers says it screens for "antigens".

It has been so long since I've been on vacation, I'm really worried about either getting denied boarding on the plane or the ship because I got the wrong test!

Air Canada lists Shoppers as a test provider on its COVID-19 webpages, so you should be confident about having the right test for you flight and embarkation.  https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html

They also list a company called Numi Health https://numihealth.com/covid-19-testing/  They provide testing in Edmonton, and can even come to your house to test you.

Relax, make a booking with any of Air Canada's listed testing facilities, and enjoy your cruise!

On 8/8/2021 at 9:37 AM, Russ Lomas said:

We are booking our rapid test through Switch Health at Pearson.  I called them and they said they are set up in a parking garage.  Guess we will see when we arrive there.

We are getting our tests done when we arrive at Pearson 3 hours prior to our flight.  We will not have access to get them printed unless Switch provides a printout for us.  Hopefully the digital copies are acceptable.  We require the negative test 3 days later for our cruise, so that is the reason we cannot get our tests done prior to the day we have our flight unless we want to have another test done in the US, which we do not know how easy it will be to get with the number of Covid cases down there.

Russ, if you are concerned about having a printed copy, you should be able to get one at your hotel or at a Staples (or similar) in Florida.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

Best reference map I've found. Only thing missing are the price tags. Hope this helps

Canada.................USA.................Lab

molecular...............antigen.............blood

fda:Apr 2021.png

• Like 3

I don't know Fellow Canuks. We went to Jamaica a few weeks back on West Jet and we HAD to go to a  certified  Covid travellers  pharm to get  the travellers PCR  test. They were very clear no antigen test!

On our return we got the antigen and we were  going to be denied boarding if we did not get the PCR  test with pharm and dr contact on results. We almost missed our flight, seiously it was seconds when our test came .  Please be sure you get the right test! We are going AC to Venice Sept 9th and I know we have to have the  PCR. Just saying from experience..and that was a few weeks back. but hey rules are changing daily.

57 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

I don't know Fellow Canuks. We went to Jamaica a few weeks back on West Jet and we HAD to go to a  certified  Covid travellers  pharm to get  the travellers PCR  test. They were very clear no antigen test!

On our return we got the antigen and we were  going to be denied boarding if we did not get the PCR  test with pharm and dr contact on results. We almost missed our flight, seiously it was seconds when our test came .  Please be sure you get the right test! We are going AC to Venice Sept 9th and I know we have to have the  PCR. Just saying from experience..and that was a few weeks back. but hey rules are changing daily.

According to Jamaica, an antigen test would have sufficed for entry there. I'm not sure who told you that it had to be a PCR test:

Along with an approved Travel Authorization form prior to boarding a flight to Jamaica, ALL travelers ages 12 and up regardless of nationality, are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular (PCR, NAA, RNA) or Antigen test performed by an accredited lab for which the sample was collected within 3 days of the travel date. Know that we are well-equipped to accommodate on-island testing prior to your return flight, as well.

https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/

For re-entry to Canada, you require a PCR test. Nothing new about that. It sounds like you had your Jamaican and Canadian requirements reversed.

According to this Italian website, you do not require a PCR test as either a "negative result for a rapid molecular or antigenic test performed in the 48 hours prior to entry into Italy" will suffice. The information was updated "in accordance with Decree-Law no. 105 dated 23 July 2021 and the Ministry of Health Order dated 29 July 2021" and is the most current information.

http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

According to Jamaica, an antigen test would have sufficed for entry there. I'm not sure who told you that it had to be a PCR test:

Along with an approved Travel Authorization form prior to boarding a flight to Jamaica, ALL travelers ages 12 and up regardless of nationality, are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular (PCR, NAA, RNA) or Antigen test performed by an accredited lab for which the sample was collected within 3 days of the travel date. Know that we are well-equipped to accommodate on-island testing prior to your return flight, as well.

https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/

For re-entry to Canada, you require a PCR test. Nothing new about that. It sounds like you had your Jamaican and Canadian requirements reversed.

According to this Italian website, you do not require a PCR test as either a "negative result for a rapid molecular or antigenic test performed in the 48 hours prior to entry into Italy" will suffice. The information was updated "in accordance with Decree-Law no. 105 dated 23 July 2021 and the Ministry of Health Order dated 29 July 2021" and is the most current information.

http://www.itoalia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html

Fouremco. ... If you read my post correctly I said  nothing about Jamaica's requirement . It was a   Canadian requirement on West Jet to board the plane both ways. And we knew that LOL .   We were all set to back and party another week at CSA.  Thanks .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

Fouremco. ... If you read my post correctly I said  nothing about Jamaica's requirement . It was a   Canadian requirement on West Jet to board the plane both ways. And we knew that LOL .   We were all set to back and party another week at CSA.  Thanks .

Canada doesn't set the requirement for outbound international flights, the country of destination does. In this case, Jamaica, and the WestJet website makes the point very clearly:

Jamaica entry requirements

The Jamaican Government requires that all passengers travelling to Jamaica (both Jamaicans and non-nationals) must obtain a travel authorization within 72 hours of departure.

Guests will need to save the electronic or printed copy of the Travel Authorization for the airline agent at check-in, or when boarding your flight to confirm acceptance for travel.

In addition to obtaining a Jamaican Travel Authorization, effective 4 March 2021, all guests must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) antigen or PCR test result. The test must have been taken at most 3 days before departure from the first embarkation point. 

Guests younger than 12 years are exempt from the COVID-19 test requirements.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/advisories#entry-requirements

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, AlbertaCruisers said:

Sorry to bother you again. Did your Shoppers test result say what type of antigen test it was (ie brand/manufacturer)? Thanks for any help. 

No it didn't

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 5:35 PM, liamur14 said:

Please be sure you get the right test! We are going AC to Venice Sept 9th and I know we have to have the  PCR. Just saying from experience..and that was a few weeks back. but hey rules are changing daily.

I would check your rules again.  We are also flying into Italy and I have been told you do not need a PCR/Antigen test as long as you are vaccinated.   Rules are suppose to change at the end of the month (August)  So keep checking the Italian government web page.    

Travellers from CanadaJapan and the United States can enter Italy without quarantine obligation, provided that:

1. They fill in the Passenger Locator Form before entering Italy

2. They present on arrival a COVID-19 Green Pass issued by the Health Authorities their home country, certifying:

• complete vaccination against COVID-19, taken at least 14 days beforehand, using a vaccine recognized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)
  • recovery from COVID-19 and the termination of medical isolation
  • negative result for a rapid molecular or antigenic test performed in the 48 hours prior to entry into Italy

My question would be... does Air Canada require a PCR/Antigen test if you are flying into a country that does not require the test?