VOOM Surf vs. Surf and Stream

I know this is NOT a favorite for many of you, but we want to remain connected since my husband will be staying at home and my daughter and I get twice a week Face Time calls from my granddaughters (they live in another state and I love their calls!). Can Face Time be done on the Surf plan?  Neither my daughter or I stream music or movies - we just check emails, message and post.  Would the Surf plan do it for us? I’m thinking it will, but am not sure if that’s because I understand the packages or if it’s because I’m cheap. 😆😆😆

• Haha 1

More than likely your experience will vary. They do cap the bandwidth but depending on where you are, how many are connected to the same AP how many are consuming the Internet at that time, etc, it’s likely that it won’t work or it won’t work well.

for VoIP and video conferencing, which is all best effort to begin with, I would recommend getting Surf + Stream to ensure you have access to better service. It’s not that much more per day. However, if you’re just going to use mostly chat applications and surf the web/email then Surf would be fine.

Thank you!  It makes sense and it's not much more right now for a 2 device package (which I FINALLY figured out is one person buys it but two people can use it at the same time...😳😆)

Edited by cooncat_mom
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Which ship?  Internet performance varies from ship to ship.

We're doing Oasis OTS and it will be in September so I'm thinking they won't be at capacity yet...

Edited by cooncat_mom
Added a thought...

I've always purchased the Surf & Stream on the Oasis class of ships and have thought it worked well. My last cruise, however, I only purchased the Surf plan and was not happy with it. I was on Freedom of the Seas with maybe 30% occupancy and the wifi was slooooow (when it would work for me). I don't know if it was the ship or the Surf plan, but when I got home, I upgraded my next cruise to include the Surf & Stream plan. That's my two cents worth and I only use the wifi for checking emails and Instagram usually.   🙂 

Edited by AUgirl
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

one person buys it but two people can use it at the same time

You can purchase it for one device and share it.  Both can not sign in at the same time but it doesn’t have to be the same device.  We do this. My wife uses it for her iPhone and occasionally she signs off and I connect with my iPad.  If one of you does not need to be connected most the time, buying the one device plan will work for you.

19 minutes ago, AUgirl said:

I've always purchased the Surf & Stream on the Oasis class of ships and have thought it worked well. My last cruise, however, I only purchased the Surf plan and was not happy with it. I was on Freedom of the Seas with maybe 30% occupancy and the wifi was slooooow (when it would work for me). I don't know if it was the ship or the Surf plan, but when I got home, I upgraded my next cruise to include the Surf & Stream plan. That's my two cents worth and I only use the wifi for checking emails and Instagram usually.   🙂 

My experience with wifi on cruises not only does it matter on the ship but the weather makes a huge impact too.     When you were on Freedom sailing was that when the tropical storm was in the Caribbean and came up the east coast?

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My experience with wifi on cruises not only does it matter on the ship but the weather makes a huge impact too.     When you were on Freedom sailing was that when the tropical storm was in the Caribbean and came up the east coast?

The tropical storm was a few days away, but we had beautiful/perfect weather. (Calm before the storm?  🙂 )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUgirl said:

The tropical storm was a few days away, but we had beautiful/perfect weather. (Calm before the storm?  🙂 )

2 years ago I was on a cruise to bermuda and had beautiful sunny skies and calm water but our wifi was horrible until we got out of the bermuda area.    I kept blaming on bermuda triangle.    The staff at front desk was blaming on the weather.  There was a hurricane that passed by bermuda 3 days after we left.

• Like 1