Clamshell Rental at Half Moon Cay

46 minutes ago, WildBlueYonder64 said:

We're thinking of renting a clamshell for the added shade. Was wondering if there are multiple rows on the beach or just a single row. Don't want to be stuck in the second row with no view of the water. Thanks in advance!

It is single row. They were sold out today, luckily we weren’t wanting one

• Thanks 1

It is definitely a single row.  We always rent one when we go to HMC.  We just walk up to the rental hut at the beach to do it and then select the one we want.  I didn't realize they now have the option (or maybe they always have) to rent them ahead of time.

• Thanks 1

We have one reserved for our March cruise. My days of baking all day in the sun are well over…. We also reserved a floater, but they would only allow one “excursion” per person and I had the clamshell in my name so couldn’t reserve a floater for me. Stupid. 

When we were there a few years ago there was only one row but the clamshells were all in the back row. There were I think 3 rows of chairs in front of you; so there's not clamshell blocking your view of the water but you're not in the front row. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, blondie444 said:

When we were there a few years ago there was only one row but the clamshells were all in the back row. There were I think 3 rows of chairs in front of you; so there's not clamshell blocking your view of the water but you're not in the front row. 

That's the way it was for us too.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blondie444 said:

Ditto!  This is what we have seen as well

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blondie444 said:

Yes.

I would also like to add that the last time we were there the clamshells were allotted on a first come basis, in other words, the later you arrive,  the further down the beach you will be.

If you have a hard time walking in the sand, I would arrive early.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, steelersfan4ever said:

Can you put down the clamshell covering if you want to?  can you move the chairs out?

NO, but (at least near the far end of the beach where I was) there were plenty of available chairs if you wanted to get some sun.  

• Thanks 1

Was just there last week (oh how I missed that beach).  The clamshells go down all the way to cabana 15 so you can still get away from the crowds.  We had very few people down to our cabana #11.

Just so you know, the way the sun is there, the clamshell only provides about 50% of cover for most of the day.  After 1pm or so, much of it is in the sun just with how it's facing the water.

My wife and I were at HMC last week. We didn't rent a clamshell this time. Instead, we went way up the beach. There are shaded areas where we didn't even need a clamshell. Plus, you were able to get some breeze that you can't normally get with the clamshell