Dress code and formal nights UK seacation in September 2021

Shazhf

5 hours ago, Shazhf said:

Hi first time cruising with Princess. We are doing a 6 night uk seacation. Do they tell you in advance how many formal nights there will be?  Apart from that is it smart casual dress?

It usually tells you on your booking details on their website we are going on a 7nt in September and there are 2 formal nights.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

We are doing a 4N in September and there are no formal nights. I think it needs to be 5N+ to get any at all IIRC.

5 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

We are doing a 4N in September and there are no formal nights. I think it needs to be 5N+ to get any at all IIRC.

All the Seacations have a formal night, it’s called Dress to impress on the sailings under 5 nights.

Guest Snaxmuppet
32 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

All the Seacations have a formal night, it’s called Dress to impress on the sailings under 5 nights.

Well... this is from the travel itinerary from my booking on the web site...

"Your itinerary includes 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights. "

24 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Well... this is from the travel itinerary from my booking on the web site...

"Your itinerary includes 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights. "

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-cruises/
Question 17 under FAQ’s on Princess Site under Onboard Experience

Edited by Pink-belle

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

So... which one is correct?

I don't know but my money is on the detailed info on the actual booking rather than a general FAQ... but I could be wrong. The reason I say that is because passengers will make the decision on whether to take formal clothes based on the info in their actual booking.

Does anyone else know which is correct and why my booking might be showing as zero formal nights if there is one?

My 4 night cruise also shows zero, but I have queried it with Princess, it’s because generally there is no formal on cruises of less than 5 nights, so that is the default position. That fills in automatically.

the FAQ for the Seacation update regularly so based on that and what I was told I believe there will be a formal night.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, Pink-belle said:

My 4 night cruise also shows zero, but I have queried it with Princess, it’s because generally there is no formal on cruises of less than 5 nights, so that is the default position. That fills in automatically.

the FAQ for the Seacation update regularly so based on that and what I was told I believe there will be a formal night.

If you said that in your last I wouldn't have queried it!

Thanks anyway.

In either case, we are not doing the formal night... it is just 4 nights and we want to travel light 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

So... which one is correct?

I don't know but my money is on the detailed info on the actual booking rather than a general FAQ... but I could be wrong. The reason I say that is because passengers will make the decision on whether to take formal clothes based on the info in their actual booking.

Does anyone else know which is correct and why my booking might be showing as zero formal nights if there is one?

What is correct is there is no formal night; there is a dress to impress night.  To me, it just means dressing up is optional and to the level of dress is also optional. 

As experienced Princess cruisers know, there is a range of acceptable dress on actual formal nights.  So, it is pretty much the same thing, but removes the implied obligation to wear a suit for men.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

What is correct is there is no formal night; there is a dress to impress night.  To me, it just means dressing up is optional and to the level of dress is also optional. 

As experienced Princess cruisers know, there is a range of acceptable dress on actual formal nights.  So, it is pretty much the same thing, but removes the implied obligation to wear a suit for men.

So we can wear the normal "evening casual" on those night then?

On 7/27/2021 at 7:34 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

So we can wear the normal "evening casual" on those night then?

Oh course you can, even on formal nights you "don't have to dress up".

But what i have seen in the past is on UK start cruises with lots of brits you will get a high turn out of suits and Tux's. but you will also see those that don't want to and are not forced to. 

I'm on the 4 night to Belfast and when booked the summary said no Formal night. I planned on taking a long dress and hubby's tux anyway. Now the Q&A say there will be "a dress to impress" i know there will be a set night for it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from my first Princess cruise I have to say how disappointed I was, not only with the lack of people who dressed up on dress to impress night but also any sort of policing of any dress code. On several occasions I saw men and women in the mdr for evening meal in Tee shirts, shorts and flip flops! Not even smart tee shirts and shorts, I saw what can only be described as sports wear and it was not unusual.

For me it is back to P&O.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Having just returned from my first Princess cruise I have to say how disappointed I was, not only with the lack of people who dressed up on dress to impress night but also any sort of policing of any dress code. On several occasions I saw men and women in the mdr for evening meal in Tee shirts, shorts and flip flops! Not even smart tee shirts and shorts, I saw what can only be described as sports wear and it was not unusual.

For me it is back to P&O.

Have you been on a P&O mini cruise recently?

We have just returned from a 4 night seacation on Regal, our itinerary showed 0 formal nights but on the 2nd night there was a dress to impress night - not sure who some people were aiming to impress! but quite a few people did dress up, we had taken smart jackets and didn't feel out of place, there was a lot of ladies in lovely sparkly dresses, it was no where near as dressy as we have seen on Princess before but it was only a short cruise.  For us it was a good excuse to spruce ourselves up a bit but still feel comfortable.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, Shazhf said:

Hi first time cruising with Princess. We are doing a 6 night uk seacation. Do they tell you in advance how many formal nights there will be?  Apart from that is it smart casual dress?

It tells you on your Cruise Personaliser  -  if you go online to your booking, you will find it there

On 7/26/2021 at 5:28 AM, Shazhf said:

7 hours ago, yamanid said:

It tells you on your Cruise Personaliser  -  if you go online to your booking, you will find it there

There is 1 formal night on a 6-night voyage.  You can find the number of formal nights for a particular voyage length in the Princess FAQ's for cruising.  Look under Clothing section and there is a table.

If you open up your booking in Cruise Personalizer, you can look at the Travel Summary and it does give an indication.  However, something to be aware of.  Let's say you booked a 14-night voyage that is actually a B2B of two physical 7-night voyages, but you booked the one marketed by Princess as a 14-nighter.  Your Travel Summary is going to state three formal nights.  But you need to realize that it is truly two 7-night voyages you are on and there will be two formal nights during each of those 7-night voyages.  A true 14-nighter will have three.