Embarking and testing experience

jamiebarnzy

55 minutes ago, PJL1973 said:

What is the embarkation / COVID testing procedure for those not coming by car (public transport / foot)? Also are self embarkations being allowed? if so, do people recommed it or not?

I believe you go straight to Ocean Terminal and are tested there before check in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I believe you go straight to Ocean Terminal and are tested there before check in.

Yes, that is what my email says. I have priority boarding but that does not apply until you have gone through all the testing etc and have had your results and your passport has been validated. Even then there is no priority lounge to wait in. My boarding time is noon so I will have to arrange to present myself at the terminal no earlier.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes, that is what my email says. I have priority boarding but that does not apply until you have gone through all the testing etc and have had your results and your passport has been validated. Even then there is no priority lounge to wait in. My boarding time is noon so I will have to arrange to present myself at the terminal no earlier.

We had priority due to having a suite.  We were ushered to the front of the ques for testing at the terminal.  After we had our negative results, the priority chick in line is still active, and we used this.  Also we were shown into the priority boarding area once checked in at the desk.  Although no drinks etc I believe you used to get.  After that once security opened, the priority area passengers were ushered through before opening up to the other passengers.

And also, the time shown on your e-tickets etc are not boarding times, they are arrival times at the terminal or CPS test centre.  We are next to the bilge pumps in the bowels of Iona next week and have an arrival time of 15:45.  I don't expect to be able to board the ship until closer to 6 according to reports from recent Britannia cruises with increased passengers.  And Iona will have many more than Britannia.  I am also expecting that any select dining and on board bookable events or shows to probably be fully booked by the time we are on board.

All said, I still can not wait to get on board and hopefully bump into Olly and Marco.  Totally looking forward to the maiden.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

We were on Brittania a couple of weeks ago and are on again on Sunday. It took over 2 hours from arriving at Mayflower to boarding the ship. I hope they do better on Sunday as we have an arrival time at 2.30. No afternoon tea for us and slots in the speciality restaurants and entertainment will be full up. If so, not a happy bunny.

Zap, I have just read a post ‘elsewhere’ and he boarded today. He said while waiting in the terminal he got onto the ship’s WiFi and booked his restaurants for every day!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Zap, I have just read a post ‘elsewhere’ and he boarded today. He said while waiting in the terminal he got onto the ship’s WiFi and booked his restaurants for every day!

I have queried that post elsewhere, as from my personal experience of the 'app', you need to input the last 6 digits from the bottom of your cabin key card.  And our cabin cards were waiting for us in the post box outside our cabin.  Not sure if they actually booked anything, or could only see it on the 'app'.

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

Am I right in thinking you cannot book speciality restaurants before you board the Britannia or Iona? also, does anyone know which restaurants on Iona will require reservations?

Yes, you are correct.  On Britannia Sindhu, Epicurean and Limelight all had to be booked in advance once onboard.  Horizon, MDR's and I believe Glasshouse were all queue/virtual queue.

Not sure on Iona as there are more pay to eat venues, but as above for sure I would think.

Quite possibly it is anywhere that has set dining times would need booking, where as venues that served food all day and are in a general passenger walk through area, would be walk up/virtual queue like Glasshouse and Keel and Cow.  Just my take on this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks. That may work out, we will give it a go.😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanks. That may work out, we will give it a go.😁

You need to scan a QR code, that you'll find on page two of the Horizon and yes, as mentioned ,enter the last six numbers of your cruise card barcode, and that, will be in the post box of your cabin. So the person who claims to have booked himself into all the restaurants, whilst sitting in the terminal  ,isn't being so rich with the truth .

Edited by rumbalizw
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rumbalizw said:

You need to scan a QR code, that you'll find on page two of the Horizon and yes, as mentioned ,enter the last six numbers of your cruise card barcode, and that, will be in the post box of your cabin. So the person who claims to have booked himself into all the restaurants, whilst sitting in the terminal  ,isn't being so rich with the truth .

Very strange!

3 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Yes, you are correct.  On Britannia Sindhu, Epicurean and Limelight all had to be booked in advance once onboard.  Horizon, MDR's and I believe Glasshouse were all queue/virtual queue.

Not sure on Iona as there are more pay to eat venues, but as above for sure I would think.

Quite possibly it is anywhere that has set dining times would need booking, where as venues that served food all day and are in a general passenger walk through area, would be walk up/virtual queue like Glasshouse and Keel and Cow.  Just my take on this.

Yes ,MDR, buffet and Glass House were by means of a virtual queue. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rumbalizw said:

Oh poo. Looks like a visit to the trough for tea & Cakes.

Just now, zap99 said:

Oh poo. Looks like a visit to the trough for tea & Cakes.

No lol, you can pre book the shows at home via the CP, and as for your speciality dining, should it be had news once you get on board , try each day to see if anything becomes available. We got into the Epicurean on the last night,albeit 6.30. 

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Very strange!

We have booked the Circus show thing and the Elton John tribute already. Why won't they let me book a Curry in Sindhu. Just not fair. Standards just dropping through the floor. Perhaps I will book Cunard next time. Do they have a Johnny Rockets🤔.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rumbalizw said:

No lol, you can pre book the shows at home via the CP, and as for your speciality dining, should it be had news once you get on board , try each day to see if anything becomes available. We got into the Epicurean on the last night,albeit 6.30. 

Yes. Done that and last time we were on Brittania 3 weeks ago we managed to go to and into most things we wanted. We would have quite liked to see Toyah Willcox in the Limelight, but it was full. Not quite right that this time we don't know who will be on and know that it will probably be full by the time we get onboard. With luck it will be Eric and Ern. Not bothered missing them🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Yes. Done that and last time we were on Brittania 3 weeks ago we managed to go to and into most things we wanted. We would have quite liked to see Toyah Willcox in the Limelight, but it was full. Not quite right that this time we don't know who will be on and know that it will probably be full by the time we get onboard. With luck it will be Eric and Ern. Not bothered missing them🤣

I think it's a singer from Eastenders 😐🤔

As a long time lurker on this site I decided to sign up to respond to some of the points made in this post.

I was on the cruise that departed on the 25th but have just got home after a few days on a land based stay tagged on to the end of the cruise hence the late response.

We had a 13.00 check-in so arrived at the cruise terminal at 13.05 having travelled by train/taxi.  Joined the short queue outside the marquee where the testing takes place.  After about 15 minutes outside made in through the door to join one of the longest queues I have seen for a long time☹️.  Surrounded by people saying 'my check in is 2 but I thought I would come early' 'oh mine was 3 but I want to get on board'   it took another 1 hour and 45 minutes before we even got tested.    I do hope P and O have decided to make all the early arrivals wait outside regardless of the weather!  

For anybody who is stressing about the covid test itself - don't-  the person doing the test barely got beyond the nostril.  No tonsil swabbing.  I don't believe anybody would test positive.  Not very reassuring to be honest!

We had to show our covid vaccination proof several times before we got to check in.  Also had to show the travel insurance documents. Save your time and everybody else's and print off a copy.  It took about 15 minutes for our results to come through. Some people seemed to be quicker but others were slower.  Actual check in was 5 minutes.

After boarding we went straight to our muster station which appeared to be at the top of the spiral staircase and no further🤔

We went straight to our cabin to sign up for the app and watch the muster drill video.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1