Wondering what happens if you test positive while on a cruise...

I've been wondering what happens to the passengers who test positive and are removed from a ship.  Does RCL, applicable gov't or the port find them a hotel for whatever quarantine period is imposed?  It obviously could be difficult to find a hotel that is open and accepting quarantined guests on short notice.  I assume the passenger is responsible for the cost.  Has anyone heard how this situation worked, including any issues with making air arrangements after quarantine?         

The news on variants & break through cases is concerning.  A few weeks ago when things were doing much better (at the time, Ohio's cases had dropped below 200/day--now over 1,000 again), I optimistically booked a 2/22 birthday cruise.  I had booked the same cruise in 2/21, but chose to cancel instead of making final payment.  I lost my deposit, and then the 2/21 cruise was eventually canceled by RCL.  I learned NOTHING from that experience.  My 2/22 cruise was booked at another nonrefundable rate.  How can I explain stupidity?  The nonrefundable price for the solo JS was verrrrrry good LOL.   

Even with being immunized, good odds & a departure being few months away...it would be good to know what happens "just-in-case.  I looked at my travel insurance, and the coverage for "missing the boat" wouldn't seem to apply in this situation.  

7 minutes ago, Truluv said:

I had booked the same cruise in 2/21, but chose to cancel instead of making final payment.  I lost my deposit, and then the 2/21 cruise was eventually canceled by RCL. 

Shouldn't you have been able to cancel under the CWC and get a FCC for your deposit?

Back to your original question, I'm guessing now is a good time to make sure you travel insurance covers this type of trip interruption.  Better safe than sorry.

I'm reading these cases myself to know wht would happen. The cruiselines were required to make arrangements with hotels to quarantine and hospitals for those who needed them.

Someone on 5 night breeze tested positive on day 4. I've asked here as I know there are some doctors how long from being exposed to testing positive. Twice I asked but so far no replies. She was given free internet, free phone calls and free ambulance to houston hotel she called. She wasnt that happy, as phone contact numbers were wrong and she had to pick a hotel on the hotel quarantine list and book it herself from the ship. 

I'd also like to know if we are allowed to just drive home and how would we get to our car if we wanted to do that. I live alone, so if I could have the cruiseline bring me the car ? That's probably a no liability wise, so how would i get to my car.

I have many questions but not sure the mods here want this discussed as my thread about positives was locked, but I'm not sure why. I sure want to know myself what will happen.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Procedures can change but I remember a blog posting from the first cruise out of FL where someone on a tour tested positive. The blogger was also on the tour and due to contract tracing they quarantined everyone in their state rooms for twenty four hours. No one was ill it was just the positive test. They opened up wifi and turned on all the pay tv channels for them, They did not charge them for room service and sent them a bottle of wine. After the time was up they were tested again and if they passed they could resume regular activities and if not they had to remain in the stateroom with regular testing until they tested negative. I have also read that as part of the CDC requirements they have increased the medical staff and expanded the ability to maintain patients on the ship. 

Again this was just one experience by this person on the first cruise out of FL. 

The cases they just had they offloaded the whole party in Freeport (where they happened to be). Then flew them home on private plane and then transported them to their house. The articles used "home" a lot in talking about where they were taken. Not sure which home that is. Their house or somewhere else?

From the Royal Caribbean website:

QUESTION: If I test positive for COVID-19 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your refund policy and what associated costs are covered?

ANSWER: Vaccinated guests and children not yet eligible to be vaccinated who book a Royal Caribbean International cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge.

COVID-19 Assistance*

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.

Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19.

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party.

Unvaccinated guests age 12 and older sailing from Florida homeports who booked prior to March 19, 2021 or after June 28, 2021 will not be subject to this COVID-19 Assistance, and must provide proof of travel insurance as outlined in prior to boarding.

*Last modified June 28, 2021. Subject to change. “Traveling Party” means your family members living with you in the same household and traveling companions assigned to your stateroom on the cruise. Conditioned upon compliance with the RCG COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of the cruise. Additional terms and conditions apply. See our COVID-19 Refund and Cancellations Policy and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details.

QUESTION: If a guest is moved to isolation, what care and amenities will be available to them?

ANSWER: Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will move to isolation staterooms that are closer to the Medical Center and will enjoy complimentary amenities like Wi-Fi and room service, along with regular visits or tele-consultations with medical staff to monitor their wellness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Truluv said:

I've been wondering what happens to the passengers who test positive and are removed from a ship.  Does RCL, applicable gov't or the port find them a hotel for whatever quarantine period is imposed?  It obviously could be difficult to find a hotel that is open and accepting quarantined guests on short notice.  I assume the passenger is responsible for the cost.  Has anyone heard how this situation worked, including any issues with making air arrangements after quarantine?         

The news on variants & break through cases is concerning.  A few weeks ago when things were doing much better (at the time, Ohio's cases had dropped below 200/day--now over 1,000 again), I optimistically booked a 2/22 birthday cruise.  I had booked the same cruise in 2/21, but chose to cancel instead of making final payment.  I lost my deposit, and then the 2/21 cruise was eventually canceled by RCL.  I learned NOTHING from that experience.  My 2/22 cruise was booked at another nonrefundable rate.  How can I explain stupidity?  The nonrefundable price for the solo JS was verrrrrry good LOL.   

Even with being immunized, good odds & a departure being few months away...it would be good to know what happens "just-in-case.  I looked at my travel insurance, and the coverage for "missing the boat" wouldn't seem to apply in this situation.  

Check out the Healthy Sail Center page on the Royal Caribbean website. If you are sailing with them, their policy is the only one that matters.

The details are spelled out for both vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers; but basically if you are vaccinated and sailing before Oct. 31, you are covered by the Covid Assistance plan which means Royal will cover, medical, quarantine, and travel.

I’m not sure what you mean by “missing the boat” coverage. Most policies treat Covid as any other illness unless it is specifically excluded. If you test positive and cancel, it should be covered. Be sure to get doctor’s orders before doing so.

If you test positive during the cruise, you’d be covered by trip interruption or trip delay. I can’t say for sure because I don’t know anything about your policy, but you may have more coverage than you realize.

We have also wondered if they quarantine us in our cabin, sounds like they move people to a different cabins set up for quarantine near their medical center and will they have the crew in hazmat suits take us and our luggage off the ship to our car to drive ourselves home.

From what we could gather. 

On ship they move you to a quarantine cabin and they pay for treatment and to get you home.

However, if you fail a test at boarding, yes you get 100% refund but seems i think, i could be wrong you would then have to use your insurance, as RCL wont pay anything further.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have also wondered if they quarantine us in our cabin, sounds like they move people to a different cabins set up for quarantine near their medical center and will they have the crew in hazmat suits take us and our luggage off the ship to our car to drive ourselves home.

Good question.  They don't cover that in the Healthy Sail Center page.  I believe most of the passengers that have tested posted were flown back to their cities of residence.  I don't think anyone drove -- this would be good to know.  My other question is what if you got to port by Uber or Lyft?  Would an ambulance drive you back home? 

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Good question.  They don't cover that in the Healthy Sail Center page.  I believe most of the passengers that have tested posted were flown back to their cities of residence.  I don't think anyone drove -- this would be good to know.  My other question is what if you got to port by Uber or Lyft?  Would an ambulance drive you back home? 

I’m guessing that if you test positive at the end of the cruise; and it is confirmed by a PCR test, you would not be allowed to drive yourself home. You’d probably have to quarantine in a contracted hotel until you test negative. I don’t think the cruise line can turn you loose on the world, knowing that you are positive. Once you test negative, you can return home by any conveyance.

39 minutes ago, Babr said:

I’m guessing that if you test positive at the end of the cruise; and it is confirmed by a PCR test, you would not be allowed to drive yourself home. You’d probably have to quarantine in a contracted hotel until you test negative. I don’t think the cruise line can turn you loose on the world, knowing that you are positive. Once you test negative, you can return home by any conveyance.

The positive person from carnival breeze who is quarantined in a hotel, no guard and honor system. She had some symptoms today but had none at the time. She mentioned 7 to 10 days, but she didnt say if she is supposed to get tested to leave.

I'm not sure why they couldnt let you drive home if you have no symptoms. She said she could just walk out of the hotel and jump on a plane as far as she can tell. Carnival hasnt bothered to even call. 

I guess I'll just have to wait for it to happen to someone who drove as I cant see why you couldnt drive yourself home. Her husband is there in another room and the one bringing her food, there isnt food in her hotel. She was just driven to a houston hotel and left. 

My car would be in Galveston and only the four seasons hotel which would be expensive was in Galveston she said. So she choose a houston hotel on the list. Could wind up a expensive stay. 

Edited by firefly333

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The positive person from carnival breeze who is quarantined in a hotel. No guard and honor system. She had some symptoms today but had none at the time. She mentioned 7 to 10 days, but not if she is supposed to get tested. 

I'm not sure why they couldnt let you drive home if you have no symptoms. She said she could just walk out of the hotel and jump on a plane as far as she can tell. Carnival hasnt bothered to even call. 

I guess I'll just have to wait for it to happen to someone who drove as I cant see why you couldnt drive yourself home. Her husband is there in another room and the one bringing her food, there isnt food in her hotel. She was just driven to a houston hotel and left. 

My car would be in Galveston and only the four seasons hotel which would be expensive was in Galveston she said. So she choose a houston hotel on the list. Could wind up a expensive stay. 

I’m surprised no one is checking on her.  I thought the CSO or whatever allows ships to begin sailing set out a standard procedure for how to handle positive cases.  I know that Celebrity and Royal are paying for those arrangements through their Covid Assistance plans at least through October. If Carnival is not paying and those folks don’t have insurance, then it could be an expensive stay. Maybe she at least got a reduced price because it is a contracted quarantine hotel.

As far as driving home on your own after testing positive, I think the idea is that they can’t be sure you’d go straight home. They need to limit your contact with other people, and the way to do that is quarantine.

The way things are going, we may have a chance to see what happens to people who drive to the port - sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

I’m surprised no one is checking on her.  I thought the CSO or whatever allows ships to begin sailing set out a standard procedure for how to handle positive cases.  I know that Celebrity and Royal are paying for those arrangements through their Covid Assistance plans at least through October. If Carnival is not paying and those folks don’t have insurance, then it could be an expensive stay. Maybe she at least got a reduced price because it is a contracted quarantine hotel.

As far as driving home on your own after testing positive, I think the idea is that they can’t be sure you’d go straight home. They need to limit your contact with other people, and the way to do that is quarantine.

The way things are going, we may have a chance to see what happens to people who drive to the port - sooner than later.

She didnt mention any reduced prices and I suspect just the opposite. She said her hotel has regular rooms and quarantine rooms. Somehow my suspicion is a hotel would charge more to have a covid positive person. She did mention having insurance, but that isnt helping right now. 

Her husband and daughter tested negative and carnival first said they could go home so she made flight arrangements, then carnival said oh no, you cant fly home to CT so then she had to cancel the flights, and wasnt happy with that. She and 9 year old son were positive of the 4. So its 2 hotel rooms right now to pay for. Bring your credit card. Carnival seems like first time they have handled similar. Hope they get better. Carnival just handed her a list of hotels willing to quarantine a positive covid case and said have at it, book yourself a room. 

The protocols dont seem to be great if it's you.  Good to know rcl will cover you and get you home.

3 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

The only sure bet is that the protocols will change when you go. 

Yep.  And with the current media/government hysteria over covid, things aren't likely to improve over the next 2-3 months.  

17 minutes ago, Babr said:

Covid has been raging nationwide and around the world for 18 months.  I think it's just a little late and beyond absurd to try to monitor individual cases regardless where they are or where they came from.  Good grief.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

She didnt mention any reduced prices and I suspect just the opposite. She said her hotel has regular rooms and quarantine rooms. Somehow my suspicion is a hotel would charge more to have a covid positive person. She did mention having insurance, but that isnt helping right now. 

Her husband and daughter tested negative and carnival first said they could go home so she made flight arrangements, then carnival said oh no, you cant fly home to CT so then she had to cancel the flights, and wasnt happy with that. She and 9 year old son were positive of the 4. So its 2 hotel rooms right now to pay for. Bring your credit card. Carnival seems like first time they have handled similar. Hope they get better. Carnival just handed her a list of hotels willing to quarantine a positive covid case and said have at it, book yourself a room. 

The protocols dont seem to be great if it's you.  Good to know rcl will cover you and get you home.

Disappointing to be sure. Even with insurance, she will have to pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement. The lesson for others who sail Carnival is to be prepared with travel insurance and a high-limit credit card regardless of vaccine status. This is the first instance I’m aware of that the passengers were not flown home at the cruise line’s expense on a private flight to avoid public exposure, but that is the difference between Carnival’s policy and the others. Everyone else on any cruise line would be advised the to have insurance as well when those assistance plans run out.

I find it interesting that she indeed has symptoms now so quarantine was the right answer. That is probably why her husband could not fly home. He was exposed and may turn up positive in time. The idea is to contain this stuff, but it is not working very well.

17 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yep.  And with the current media/government hysteria over covid, things aren't likely to improve over the next 2-3 months.  

Things won’t improve until more people get vaccinated or acquire immunity through having the disease. In the meantime, people need to practice public health measures to mitigate exposure and spread.

51 minutes ago, Babr said:

Things won’t improve until more people get vaccinated or acquire immunity through having the disease. In the meantime, people need to practice public health measures to mitigate exposure and spread.

And having Covid possibly/probably isn't as effective of getting it as a vaccine.  There is a lot we don't know, but I don't think it's accurate to say having had Covid is the same as getting the vaccine.   

43 minutes ago, cindivan said:

And having Covid possibly/probably isn't as effective of getting it as a vaccine.  There is a lot we don't know, but I don't think it's accurate to say having had Covid is the same as getting the vaccine.   

Correct, Covid disease clearly gives a lower immune response than the vaccine, similar to Tetanus and others.  But it does offer some protection at last temporarily.  So it is helpful to some degree but does not appear to be long lasting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cindivan said:

I agree, but it is something. Many who have had it seem to resent the suggestion that they be vaccinated too, so I was careful with wording. I’d much rather people be vaccinated than risk a bad outcome from having Covid.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The positive person from carnival breeze who is quarantined in a hotel, no guard and honor system. She had some symptoms today but had none at the time. She mentioned 7 to 10 days, but she didnt say if she is supposed to get tested to leave.

That's horrible they have a hotel on their list that doesnt even serve food.  What if she was a solo cruiser, she would have to order take out, then possibly expose a delivery person.

Do you know, does she live in Houston area?

Sounds like a dump and run carnival did to her.  That's not right.

Edited by Sunshine3601

3 hours ago, Babr said:

Disappointing to be sure. Even with insurance, she will have to pay up front and file a claim for reimbursement. The lesson for others who sail Carnival is to be prepared with travel insurance and a high-limit credit card regardless of vaccine status. This is the first instance I’m aware of that the passengers were not flown home at the cruise line’s expense on a private flight to avoid public exposure, but that is the difference between Carnival’s policy and the others. Everyone else on any cruise line would be advised the to have insurance as well when those assistance plans run out.

I find it interesting that she indeed has symptoms now so quarantine was the right answer. That is probably why her husband could not fly home. He was exposed and may turn up positive in time. The idea is to contain this stuff, but it is not working very well.

They were asymptomatic when they were tested thursday. Today Saturday she had the first symptoms. She said he went to CVS today and both he and the daughter still are testing negative.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's horrible they have a hotel on their list that doesnt even serve food.  What if she was a solo cruiser, she would have to order take out, then possibly expose a delivery person.

Do you know, does she live in Houston area?

Sounds like a dump and run carnival did to her.  That's not right.

I read on another post that she chose a Holiday Inn near the airport. Those hotels typically do not have restaurants, only a buffet breakfast. The family is from Connecticut, but they should know what to expect from Holiday Inn. It is a national chain.

Just the same, it does not seem she got much help from Carnival. People who have upcoming cruises need to recognize this and be prepared to help themselves.